It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Election Thread. Election for Regent of ATS(IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT PG. 71)

page: 60
<< 57  58  59    61  62  63 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Before I answer more questions etc, I want to apologise for my "blah" attitude yesterday. I somewhere in the middle of the day on top of being exhausted, got a very nasty email from someone, and i mean nasty, threatening all sorts of fun things, and didn't fully recover from reading it, and let that interfere with my responses to people here.

I'm human, I screw up, and I let my emotions get the best of me at times, just wanted to say sorry..

Take it as you will...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by vkey08
Before I answer more questions etc, I want to apologise for my "blah" attitude yesterday. I somewhere in the middle of the day on top of being exhausted, got a very nasty email from someone, and i mean nasty, threatening all sorts of fun things, and didn't fully recover from reading it, and let that interfere with my responses to people here.

I'm human, I screw up, and I let my emotions get the best of me at times, just wanted to say sorry..

Take it as you will...

Glad you're feeling better today!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

It is human to err, and human to be "blah" on such occasions.

Have a cuppa (cup of coffee in Aust slang), a couple of Tim Tams and imagine the sender of said nasty email firmly wedged between the buttocks of a very large bottomed lady without her realising it, just for your amusement, crying out for an end to his/her torture.

Welcome back to the race, hope that makes you feel better

edit on 27-6-2012 by 74Templar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Thanks Templar and Chiten
I was just shaken by that mail... still trying to trace it so I can find out who would have been so cruel...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

You're quite welcome.

Now I must be off to my bed, as your Wed begins in the US, mine in Australia ends. Be sure to check out the new Regent's questions as posted by the ATS news Australian correspondent (me), and have a smashing good time re-creating the world as we know it.

Night all.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

YEA! another News political correspondent!

Maybe I should start then putting what continent my correspondence comes from

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

Man, that's a lot of WORK!!

They'd do what I tell them to or I'd peck them to death with my Ninja skills!! .... and beat them with my new light-saber cane!!

ok, ok.... ummm response subject to chage depending on what mood I'm in later today...

1. It would depend a lot on the size of the group. A few dozen, a few hundred, a few thousand…. Up to about a hundred or so, I’d keep it more of a “family unit” with everyone being responsible for doing their part and I would keep things organized or pass it to someone else who may be better qualified at organization or a group of 3 or more to organize together. I don't want one person in charge of everything. If the numbers were larger than that, up to a thousand or so, probably a group of “elders” who made decisions after getting input from everyone and everyone would have a right and a chance to voice their opinions on the big decisions. If we got into the thousands, then each small group could be represented by their chosen individual who would meet with the elders for decision making that would affect the entire group. It would be like several little family units in the hundreds joined together with the governing group taking all the others into consideration for making the decisions.
2. A location should be chosen that is surrounded by natural resources, yet easy to protect in case there were rogue groups out there wanting to take what we work for yet allowing for interaction with other groups. Probably similar to the forts that were built centuries ago. A central meeting place with homes both inside and outside the fort depending on personal preference as well as storage areas for people to share any excess for the good of all.
3. Depending on the size again. Less than a hundred, everybody does their share and helps one another. More than that, probably bartering which would most likely lead to something being considered as currency such as gold or salt or other things that have been used throughout human history depending on need and availability.
4. I’d set up something similar to the Hammurabi codes that encourage others to be fair and just to one another and have penalties for extreme offenses. I’d encourage conflict resolution within the groups with arbitraries to listen to each side and try to help them come to agreement. If no agreement could be reached, the arbitrary would bring that to the representatives or elders and a decision would be made.
5. Since we have a wide array of religions today, it would depend on the group. Everyone would be free to practice their religion as long as it didn’t infringe on anyone else. Religion should be pertinent to the individual and not forced on anyone else. If someone wanted to pray, they could pray, but they wouldn’t be allowed to force anyone else to pray or expect them to. If there are certain things they feel they should refrain from as far as personal practices, then they can do that, but they can’t demand that others do the same. They would have to taper their religious practices to the codes set up to ensure the safety and freedom of others in the group. (no human sacrifice, no killing in the name of their God, no expecting others to behave in a certain way that’s not in the code).
6. The people would be their own army and everyone would work together to protect the community. If a threat came from within, that person would be forced to leave the group if they refused to adhere to what was best for the group and agreed upon by the group. As the group grew larger, some would be responsible for being the primary protectors and enforcers of the codes set up. Whatever weapons still existed and worked would be permitted and used, but as tools for hunting and protecting against any rogue groups. If anyone used a weapon against another member, they would be banned from the group unless that other person was a rogue threat, to be decided by the elders. Violence within the group would not be taken lightly as we have to work together now that civilization has been all but destroyed.
7. Anyone willing to accept the codes we set forth and abide by them would be welcome in our group. New people would be subject to “parole” where they are taught our ways and helped to become a functioning member of our society. If they choose to not abide by what has been set forth, they would be asked to leave, if they refused, they would be forced to leave.
8. Every person would be expected to contribute based on their skill and ability. If they have a strong interest in farming but don’t know how, they would work with someone who did know how to learn the trade. People would be expected to teach and to learn and work together for the good of the whole.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
1. What system of governance would you introduce? If any? Would it be a monarchial society with you as its creator at the head? Or would it be a true democratic society with the people having the final and absolute voice and vote? Or would it be a martial law state with soldiers who protect the civilians, but at the same time rule over them?

Puh... Democracy doesn't work at least not in the way it was ever intended.. A society with a Praetor, , small committee of council and a senate/house would work nicely.. State ownership of all utilities, private ownership of other businesses.

2. What infrastructure would you build? If any? Would you attempt buildings, agriculture and electricity like the current system we have? Or would you prefer a natural existence or even a nomadic one?

Work on trying to find efficient power sources (and in the interim open up drilling to get oil) and build those types of plants and slowly replace the fossil fuels (not because of any climate change or that, but because we need cheap power)

3. Would you re-introduce money and taxation? Or would you have a barter system introduced where trade for goods and services is the norm? How would people pay for their basic goods and services if at all?

Credits earned by working, or producing goods a sort of high tech barter system, decentralized and not controlled by any one bank.

4. In any society laws prevent chaos, or that is what we were taught in the current system. Thus, what laws, if any would you create to keep order? How would you exact justice to those who broke the law? And what punishments, if any, would you deem sufficient to those who broke the laws, up to and including corporal punishment for the worst crimes?

Most laws would have to be revisited, we have way too many and a lot of conflicting ones, so this is a tough one to answer suffice to say I support the death penalty for certain crimes (killing a child, rape, torture leading to death, high treason), and would not hesitate to use it.

5. What of religion? In a post apocalyptic world does the faith of a supreme being have a place? Would you even allow religion within your community? If so, in what capacity?

I am Shinto, which means I really don't have an organized belief system as it is, but I think that this quote says it best... "God is the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."

(Just a note here, I have deliberately not included one specific religion over another. The question should not devolve as to which religion is best in such a time, moreso if the question of faith has a place in such a time.)

6. Would you introduce a police force to uphold the laws? A military to protect your community? Or would the people be their own army, and police themselves? What of modern weapons such as firearms? Would they be allowed in your community? Even from protection from outside forces, or as hunting tools?

Police would be used but with a very tight leash, if they did what most Police nowadays do they would be subject to immediate and harsh punishment.. TO PROTECT AND SERVE would be strictly enforced.

7. What process would you put in place to allow new people to join your community? Would you even allow new people to join your community? Would it be an open door policy? Would you only allow people with a certain skill set to become part of your community?

Why not, as long as people can get along and not cause trouble.....

8. And finally, what process would you use for the workforce to sustain the community? Would people be assigned jobs based on their former skills? How would you go about designating jobs to people in order to keep the community going? If at all? Would it be a worker benefits the community as a whole system, such as (gasp), communism? Or would people be free to work at their own leisure and pace, and maintain their own survival means, such as shelter and food?

People should be allowed to work as they see fit, as long as they can sustain themselves (See Credits above) also people should do what they are good at, I don't see sending a doctor to pave a road or vice versa..

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
quick, easy summary of my really long post from above

1. Triumvirate
2. Make a fort
3. Everybody does their share and helps the group
4. Hammurabi Code
5. Religion is for the individual, not the group
6. Everybody is responsible for protection of the group
7. Anybody can join but they have to go along with what we have
8. Everybody works together

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I'm voting for Purple Chiten because I don't pay rent!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Heartbreakerb

lol... now there's a selling point!

Hey! PurpleChiten! Get a LOT of votes that way 'Your Purpleness!'

(see even I can suck up for free rent!
)
edit on 27-6-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by OpinionatedB
reply to post by Heartbreakerb

lol... now there's a selling point!

Hey! PurpleChiten! Get a LOT of votes that way 'Your Purpleness!'

(see even I can suck up for free rent!
)
edit on 27-6-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

LOL.... nephew... told him to stay on his own threads but he doesn't listen well and has already taken off for his classes so I can't fuss at him until he gets back

::mumbling about rotten kids and shaking my curmudgeon cane::

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I have made a request to the mods and staff to move te election up.

This required me to perform several rituals in order for the mods to consider my request. As a result, I am temporarily out of vestal virgins.

We'll just have to wait and see.

beez

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I have made a request to the mods and staff to move te election up.

This required me to perform several rituals in order for the mods to consider my request. As a result, I am temporarily out of vestal virgins.

We'll just have to wait and see.

beez

I can loan you a few if you want, I have plenty!!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

If it helps any, they do let you move it. I remember that from my time jump. That's one of the things that contributes to my landslide win

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
reply to post by beezzer

If it helps any, they do let you move it. I remember that from my time jump. That's one of the things that contributes to my landslide win

I just want the lotto numbers!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

PurpleChitens landslide win.... Nephew promises free rent for all who vote PurpleChiten, next hour, voting begins.... next hour... guess who wins the election?

lol... not even I could have seen that coming!

I take it your nephew might be one of those vestal virgins your offering up?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by OpinionatedB
reply to post by PurpleChiten

PurpleChitens landslide win.... Nephew promises free rent for all who vote PurpleChiten, next hour, voting begins.... next hour... guess who wins the election?

lol... not even I could have seen that coming!

I take it your nephew might be one of those vestal virgins your offering up?

LOL!! No, I don't think he would qualify

They're all imaginary, but vestal virgins nonetheless!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
reply to post by beezzer

I just want the lotto numbers!

Sorry, but there's a clause in the time machine contract and I'm not allowed to divulge those

ETA: ... you should know that beez! afterall, you invented the time machine!!

edit on 27-6-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Up? Up to where? We are already BTS.

Seriously, does this mean that they are going to dust off the code for that awesome 3-d polling software, and actually sanction an election?

Staff? Any input on the validity on said claims?

Also, if said election is moved up, (which I agree with) will the candidates have an opportunity to give one final summation of their party and platform? Call it a closing campaign speech?

top topics

<< 57  58  59    61  62  63 >>

join