It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Election Thread. Election for Regent of ATS(IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT PG. 71)

page: 39
<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

That said, I stepped down as a mod, because as a moderator, it takes away heavily,from your time to post as a regular member and to interact with the community.

Honest question here - how long were you a Mod, and thus out of touch with the community?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

Occasionally, among others. But that's not really the point, or the purpose of the office, is it?

You seem pretty fixed on the idea of having to defend people from some one else as the ATS Regent. No, that is not what the office of ATS Regent is about. At all.

You are not building a defense system, you are building a better community.

Take the blinders off, and you can see them better.

I see just fine, thanks

You just can't seem to kick that collectivist habit, can you? No matter. every collective that has even been has been made up of... individuals. That's where you work to imporve the overall collective - with the INDIVIDUALS.

ATS IS a collective, my friend. We are a community. A society in it's own. I do agree, that improvement starts with the individual. But it ENDS with the community.

Not in this life OR the next. A leader without teeth is about as useful as boobs on a crowbar.

Okay, you keep your figurative guns, my friend. I will use diplomacy instead.

Of course not. As a Mod, you had the ban hammer available. Of what use is fencing with an assailant when you can merely silence him? Not to mention the fact of the power that office holds, and it's effect to quell opposition weith merely a glare. Some of us have had to learn to make do without that sort of power, and we have. Very well.

You of all people should know that we have a wonderful staff of unbiased moderators. You of all people should know, that the staff here NEVER silences anyone. You of all people should know that mods do not attempt to quell opposition. They are there to enforce the T&C and enforce it fairly. That is what they do.

You seem to think I have a ban hammer in my hand. Let me assure, you I don't. I was known as the fairest mod of all. I used words to calm people down, talk with them and work things out. I did not have any need to swing any ban hammer, my friend. and let me assure you, that is the last thing any mod here on ATS, wants to do.

Or do you disagree? If so, you might have a bit of bias showing...Hmmm

It was my understanding that ATS Regent is not a staff position. has there been a sea change while I slept? No matter. Staff has options for dealing with the intractible that the rest don't. It doesn't get much more violent than ENDING a membeship. that's the equivalent of a real-world execution.

Umm, this is what I have been saying from the start.
I continue to say that ATS Regent is a ceremonial position as advocate for the people and again, I will tell you as I did in my last post, you will have no power to punish... Don't get confused, now. We are having a great debate.

And again, you should know, ATS staff is fair and unbiased. They come from all walks of life and backgrounds. They discuss a potential violation of rules until they come to an agreement as to what should be done, then it is done by a mod who is an unbiased party.

You seem to maybe have some bias against the mods and their enforcement of the rules...

Are you advocating executions, then?

Talk about a huge leap off a cliff my friend. Me saying that the mods are fair and unbiased,means THAT to you? Come now, you are more rational than that. I have taken a stance of working together with the community to create a better tomorrow. You seem to be getting confused and showing some bias against staff in the process.

Nah. I'm pretty much untrainable. You've only got a few months on me in membership, so give up the "couple more years" experience angle. You were better off advocating executions.

First, care to show me where I said anything about having a couple more years? If you are going to quote me, quote me on something I actually said. My experience, comes from moderating, being a member of the ATS press corp, a writer and a commentator on ATS live. I've said that from the start.You know better.

I could see how that might be a problem in isolation.at you only read half of what I write,

Says the person making up things that I never said.
Cute, but you will have to try harder. You know the people can see our posts, right?

I've been advocating balance all along. You, on the other hand, seem to have a certain lack of that quality, and appear to be stuck on one speed...

You are mistaking, the ability to get aggressive with the WANT to get aggressive. We can all get aggressive, we just don't always have to, my friend, and I am glad you are finally starting to admit that even for yourself.

The guy with the gun - or in this case the ban hammer - never need be civil nor uncivil. All he has to do is flip the switch. The rest of us have had to learn to make do, and use the natural abilities we brought with us.

See above where I talk about the process in which mods work. Your bias against the staff is showing very much.

edit on 20-6-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

That said, I stepped down as a mod, because as a moderator, it takes away heavily,from your time to post as a regular member and to interact with the community.

Honest question here - how long were you a Mod, and thus out of touch with the community?

Oh, I was in touch with the community, just not as much as I preferred on a personal basis.

I preferred to be even more in touch than I was, as a mod.

And I was a moderator for two years. Again, not out of touch. I simply longed to be in touch even better than I already was.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Brief commercial break for another announcement from the Curmudgeon Party:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

No real response that I've not already made, repeatedly. I mostly just wanted to re-post it for posterity, give you a bump, and maybe get a crayon later and circle occurrences of "STAFF", "my experience as STAFF", and maybe "civility" for grins and giggles.

Are you SURE you're not mistaking ATS Regent for a staff position?

I appreciate your bumping my post, talking about my experience here on ATS. I am proud that I was a moderator, a writer,a member of the ATS press corp as well as a commentator on ATS live.

I've lots of experience that I am proud of here on ATS.

And again, I will repeat what I have had to repeat to YOU a few times. Yes, my stance has STILL not changed that an ATS Regent is a ceremonial advocate of the people who works with the people to create a better community, using civility, honesty and kindness.

That is how I envision the office of ATS.

I am not the one going on about fantasies of standing up to people and defending ATS from bad guys... I've been telling you, this is not what an ATS Regent does,my friend...

In fact, I recall having to remind YOU a few times that the position of ATS Regent has no real authority or power and that you would have to report any issues to staff as you are still, a member only.

It is kind of cute, how you tried to turn that around on me, unsuccessfully, of course, but still cute.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I'm no hippie either, friend.

Where is the Truth in advertising?

While, that is a cute attempt to paint me as something I am not, I must remind you of the term "sarcastic humor", my friend.

I am not dirty and I am not a hippie. Though, I may be a bit liberal.

Truth_2012

That's not me painting you anything at all - it's your own words, screen captured for posterity. If you admit to part of it, and deny other parts, how is the observer to know where the draw the line, to separate fact from fiction? Truth in advertising from flight of fancy?

I know where I drew it. The red line is mine.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

we just became off-topic people! The One World Government moved our homes!
edit on 20-6-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I repeat "Sarcastic Humor". You can try to make me out to be a dirty hippie all you want ( Is that supposed to be bad?) But feel free to ask around. The people know better. Again, I am not dirty or a hippie. But,Friend, if you don't understand sarcastic humor, I can't help you.

I say this, our points are very well known. The members have been reading and know where we stand. I truly look forward to the official debates,and admittedly,I most look forward to having an official debate with you, as you are a GREAT debater and have offered me the biggest challenge to my stances, thus far.

At the end of the day,it is the will of the people that will prevail. I hate to have to go, as I am enjoying this, however, I am needed at the hospital. Perhaps we can pick this up during the official debates?

I wish you good luck, my friend.

Truth_2012

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

edit on 20-6-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Another commercial break:

edit on 6/20/12 by Druid42 because: changed the text.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

You sir, are doing very well in this campaign

Thats your best yet.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpinionatedB

It's all good

HBO

Is picking up the event and will air it live...

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

So J...which one of those members is the Black Cat..?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpinionatedB
reply to post by nenothtu

edit on 20-6-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

Yeah I saw that.. hmmmm they must be worried that we are actually taking this seriously or something...

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

You are not building a defense system, you are building a better community.

I won't be building anything at all. The staff and owners have already built it, and built it very well. ATS Regent has so far been presented as "Member Advocate", not "Construction Manager".

ATS IS a collective, my friend. We are a community. A society in it's own. I do agree, that improvement starts with the individual. But it ENDS with the community.

Is "Member", as in "Member Advocate" singular or plural? Is the word individual or collective? In my dictionary, the plural is listed as "members" and the possessive as "Member's". Your mileage may vary.

You of all people should know that we have a wonderful staff of unbiased moderators. You of all people should no, that the staff here NEVER silences anyone. You of all people should no that mods do not attempt to quell opposition. They are there to enforce the T&C and enforce it fairly. That is what they do.

I can say in all honesty that I have had very few problems with ATS staff. They do a good job and do it quietly for the most part, and never get enough thanks for what they do. That's why it is all the more mystifying that you continually hammer on your "staff experience", as if it has a bearing on the office of regent, which to the best of my knowledge is not a staff position. It's a position for a Man of the People, not someone who wants to continually remind them of his former positon of authority.

None of that changes the fact that as a Moderator, you had tools at your disposal that the rest of us don't, and it seems you may have gotten used to them, and lost sight of life in the trenches.

Umm, this is what I have been saying from the start.
I continue to say that ATS Regent is a ceremonial position as advocate for the people and again, I will tell you as I did in my last post, you will have no power to punish... Don't get confused, now. We are having a great debate.

Good try, but your shot missed. I'm in no way confused. I'm well aware of what power I do and do not wield. You, on the other hand, seem to be intent on resting on a Moderators laurels as a regular member. You might want to review your power structure, and then remind me about "confusion".

Two other points - if your an "advocate of the people", why do you continually remind us of your former status as one of the Elite? If you've said something from the start, why KEEP saying it? Once should suffice.

Are you advocating executions, then?

Talk about a huge leap off a cliff my friend. Me saying that the mods are fair and unbiased,means THAT to you? Come now, you are more rational than that. I have taken a stance of working together with the community to create a better tomorrow. < insult deleted >

It's not I advocating running to staff for actions that I can handle on my own. It's not me advocating for putting someone in danger of a ban rather than correcting them where they stand. You'll have a leg to stand on when bans, amounting to "executions" from the ATS virtual world, are no longer necessary.

The actual quote I was responding to was not "fair and unbiased", it was "firm and civil". Let's not make a habit of changing words in mid stream.

First, care to show me where I said anything about having a couple more years? If you are going to quote me, quote me on something I actually said.

Sure, no problem. It was in this post a direct quote from which is:

It works and is much more productive than meeting fighting with fighting. Again, this is from experience here folks. Perhaps in a couple more years on ATS, my opponent will learn the what every staff member knows. Civility is key!

Bold by me, to hilight the precise quote so folks can't miss it.

I could see how that might be a problem in isolation.at you only read half of what I write,

Says the person making up things that I never said.
Cute, but you will have to try harder. You know the people can see our posts, right?

Yes, I do know that. I'm beginning to wonder if you do, however. I read every word. EVERY word. Nor do I make up things that you said, as the direct quote above shows.

You are mistaking, the ability to get aggressive with the WANT to get aggressive. We can all get aggressive, we just don't always have to, my friend, and I am glad you are finally starting to admit that even for yourself.

Nor have I ever said, any where, that we ALWAYS have to. Who is misquoting who? You, on the other hand, have said numerous times that we NEVER have to. Do you really want me to pull quote to verify that? You can bet your last dollar I can and will.

That might make an entire post of it's own, though, with nothing but links and quotes.

edit on 2012/6/20 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Oh, I was in touch with the community, just not as much as I preferred on a personal basis.

I preferred to be even more in touch than I was, as a mod.

And I was a moderator for two years. Again, not out of touch. I simply longed to be in touch even better than I already was.

Ok. You've been at ATS a grand total of 9 months longer than I. Subtract two years from that, count it up, and tell me again about your length experience as a "man or the people"

maybe when I've been here "a couple of years longer" I'll understand, huh?

edit on 2012/6/20 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
FFS!!!!

I hereby offer you each a bribe to give it a rest already! I can't see voting for either one of you! You're like dogs with a bone.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Netties Hermit

Thank you for the compliment.

I am sure that actions are speaking louder than words.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

I appreciate your bumping my post, talking about my experience here on ATS. I am proud that I was a moderator, a writer,a member of the ATS press corp as well as a commentator on ATS live.

I've lots of experience that I am proud of here on ATS.

Yeah. We heard it the first 30 times you said it.

And again, I will repeat what I have had to repeat to YOU a few times. Yes, my stance has STILL not changed that an ATS Regent is a ceremonial advocate of the people who works with the people to create a better community, using civility, honesty and kindness.

And yet I'm not the one trying to climb his laurels as a staff member. Go figure. Why is it you seem to feel a need to continually remind ME that it's not a staff position? I'm not the one carrying on about my staff credits. Methinks thou doth protest too much...

I am not the one going on about fantasies of standing up to people and defending ATS from bad guys... I've been telling you, this is not what an ATS Regent does,my friend...

How about that? that makes two of us. No such fantasies have been entertained other than the ones you have spun up on your own.

In fact, I recall having to remind YOU a few times that the position of ATS Regent has no real authority or power and that you would have to report any issues to staff as you are still, a member only.

Already addressed, multiple times. See just above. I'm not going to keep chewing the same cabbage.

It is kind of cute, how you tried to turn that around on me, unsuccessfully, of course, but still cute.

You're not the first to observe my cuteness, so no ribbons there. I think I'll let the readers decide for themselves whether I've successfully defended my position or not.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by KillerQueen

Take in it stride, it's how these things go... on the positive side, it does accomplish something. You've decided you may not want to vote for either, I'm sure others have decided they would vote for one of 'em...

edit on 20-6-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join