It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Election Thread. Election for Regent of ATS(IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT PG. 71)

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Thanks! Apologies for missing one.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Hi folks!

I'm currently wating for some information and/or determination concerning a possible radio (ATS) debate.

MODS! (if you're watching this) would this be possible?

You KNOW they're watching! I've heard through the rumor mill that popcorn sales in restricted areas have skyrocketed, just like energy prices under a Carbon Tax!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

True. But it has been primarily positive.

Then again, the posts here have been fun, positive, constructive.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress

... And you're sure your sponsors will send the cheque?
Okay, here's the one for the highway billboards.

A bump for it, because that billboard can't be posted enough!

The cheque is in the post, I'm told....

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

For being an ol' windbag, that's a pretty handy tip.

Thanks for sharing. I'll have to check that out.

Us old Curmudgeons do what we can to make life easier and more convenient - even if we have to get teenagers to set all this stuff up!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Just received this important endorsement at Campaign Headquarters...

Hi...

You don't know me

My name is Gertrude Abagail Snodgrass the third

I just wanted to reply and let everyone reading this know that I fully support and endorse the Curmudgeon Party officially. Not just because I've been Nenothtu's long time penthouse kept sex kitten [Oh, the passion] but because the man has a real good message!

Thank you.

edit on 20-6-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by beezzer

Since you clearly want this to be a serious endeavor, I think I should post my first campaign speech so the Undeclared Party goals are understood. It follows:

"The insane quest for change is perhaps the most destructive force facing mankind and ATS.

It is that desire to constantly change the world and mold it to our personal ideologies that leads to all manner of destructive behavior. It's the cause of war and drives people to lie, spin, manipulate or even force others to accept their ideologies in their quest for power over others.

When it comes to politics and party ideologies, the simple act of attaining power requires one to stoop to a level below even the belly of a snake. To hold on to the power after attaining it becomes a kind of madness for which there is no cure.

For that reason my goal would be to keep things as they are here on ATS; the good, the bad and the ugly. To let each member chart their own course here at ATS as their heart desires."

I really think you've read this wrong. The title of Regent is ceremonial. This thread, this project, is to bring home how important voting is. We talk of elections constantly. This is an oppourtunity to participate.

Yes, Regent, member's advocate, won't provide anyone with anything other than a desire and oppourtunity to help represent people.

But at the core, isn't that what politics are all about?

I understood fully. Not to worry. Just playing the part in a serious manner and using the opportunity to make a point. I understand this is an exercise only. I've enjoyed reading and participating in the thread.

I find this fascinating by the way. Sadly I had a pile of work dumped on me yesterday that must be done by tomorrow, so my participation is on hold until Friday.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MountainLaurel
reply to post by PurpleChiten

I'm pretty firm on the voting for another party, but you did mention something in your campaign that interested me. You have access to a time machine, Yes? Can you travel back in time also in your time machine? If you can, what would be an event you would change from the past...and why would it change the present?

All other canidates please feel free to offer your thoughts as well, and just "pretend" you have a time machine..

My first thought was to visit Adam and Eve and convince them sterilization would be in the best interest of Humanity, but then realized that's a little out there, even for me. Still?

Then I realized that if I could do something like say go back and eliminate Hitler, Stalin or Mao, it would be pointless as another person just as bad would step in to fill their role. Waste of a good time machine most likely.

Honestly though, a trip to Roswell or Rendlesham forest to see what really went on would be cool. Probably would not benefit the world, but I'd like to see for myself.
I'd of course make a video and post it on ATS and nobody would believe it, which is as it should be.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Since time, work schedules, life, impending doom (this IS ATS afterall) affects time, I am working on a series of debate schedules that should fit into everyones schedules. Participation is up to the candidate (as isalways the case).

The first debate will be at a small university in New Jersey. CNN will cover-. . . . . . . .

Seriously, the first debate will be thursday, @ 1800 GMT (details to follow)

I'm working on a format that should provide equal oppourtunity for all.

The second and possibly 3rd debate will be @ 1200 GMT, 1500 GMT sat and sunday respectively.

I will provide questions, and encourage others to do so as well.

If you can't "attend" the debates, yet have questions, please U2U me.
edit on 19-6-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

As you say, work and so forth. Having just had a huge desktop publishing project dumped on me out of the blue yesterday afternoon, I'll be absent for the most part until Friday evening. Campaign costs are through the roof and I've got to get money somehow.

Anyone wishing to contribute to my cause, which is me, please U2U for instructions to transfer funds to my account. Contributions over $5,000.00 get a digital autographed copy of a heavily redacted scan of my Birth Certificate. Hurry while supplies last.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

With the number of people, I'll try to do several to accomidate everyone concerned.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I officially endorsed the nenothtu of the Curmudgeon Party a few days ago.
Someone please make me a fancy flashy thing for my signature!
I'm too old and cranky to know how to do all that computer stuff ...

I want it to read ...
GET OFF MY LAWN!
nenothtu of the Curmudgeon Party for Regent

I don't know if my endorsement will gather votes or cost nenothtu votes ...

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I officially endorsed the nenothtu of the Curmudgeon Party a few days ago.
Someone please make me a fancy flashy thing for my signature!
I'm too old and cranky to know how to do all that computer stuff ...

I want it to read ...
GET OFF MY LAWN!
nenothtu of the Curmudgeon Party for Regent

I don't know if my endorsement will gather votes or cost nenothtu votes ...

Here's a link to the post where the one in my signature came from. I'm still trying to figure out the details to turn it into a link. Where the heck are those kids when you really need them to figure stuff out?

edit on 2012/6/20 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
It may be that you are misunderstanding my methodology. I don't "jump" because it would be fun, I jump when someone desperately needs jumped at.I don't "kick over bar stools" for fun, only when it's needed.

No, I understand your "methodology" just fine. You will attack if you feel the need. Trust me, you have gotten that point across, just fine. How ever, I don't think you realize the fact that on ATS, there IS no need to attack and there are no assailants.

In fact, attacking people goes very much against what ATS is. Civility and decorum are what is encouraged here at ATS and that is what I intend to use.

How many times have we seen Bill himself, posting, encouraging civility and decorum? Many times. How many times has the staff posted encouraging attacking assailants? Zero.

"Kicking over bar stools" is never needed here at ATS. Acting like adults and being civil to each other to reach common ground, is needed and wanted.

It's counterproductive to have a miniature uncivil war with people who are not being uncivil.

Yet you argue that kicking over bar stools is sometimes a good thing. It is NEVER a good thing and by your own admission now, is counter productive. Diplomacy and civil WORDS ( Not war like you want) is what is needed.

As an advocate for the membership, there are just going to be times when "nice" won't get the job done.

So you say.You claim that kicking over bar stools would be a good idea in those cases? Wrong. You want to talk about counter productive? Violence, anger and kicking things, is childish and only creates more tension. Who would listen to an ATS Regent who is throwing furniture around?

Not many people. You might get a few laughs though.

It may have been convenience to truncate the section where I applied the same principle to recalcitrant humans, or it may have been a mere over sight, or perhaps dishonesty, but the full quote says other than the snippet you quoted.
I was trying to do you a favor and not bury you too much, but you brought it back up...And again, kicking bar stools over when you don't get your way, only creates more tension and divides a community further.

Unlike you, I use reason, civility and decorum, to work together with the community in order to create a better tomorrow. You want to talk about wars? Id rather talk about solutions.

I stand by what I said. There are just folks in this world who will pat you on the back long enough to find a soft spot to sink the knife in, and I prefer NOT to "stand together" with them. I'd rather keep them at arms length.

There you have it folks, this man does not want to work together with people who many have a different opinion. He would rather kick furniture and try to intimidate when he doesn't get his way.

Is that what you want in a members advocate? I don't.

That is human nature, and will never change as long as humans remain humans.

Sounds like you have given up on your fellow man. I find that sad. I, have not given up and will never do so.

There are people who are just junkyard dog mean, and they need a guard dog to oppose them. The same guard dogs who will eat alive any intruders into my house also play with my grand daughters... and no one EVER bothers them. It's not an "either/or" proposition neither for guard dogs of the canine variety nor the human sort. Any one who is 100% either way betrays a lack of depth.

So, are you accusing the members of ATS of being junk yard dog mean and a thread to your grand daughters? Hmm, Personally, I would have to disagree. The members of ATS are intelligent, kind and civil. We constantly use reason with each other...There is no need for you to attack anyone here or treat them as assailants.

And I find it sad that you seem to think you need to treat your fellow member that way.

In the canine world, dogs who can do nothing but fight are put to sleep. Dogs who do nothing but fawn have to frequently be rescued themselves. Musashi said "from one thing, know 10,000 things". If you can't see the parallels and draw the lessons, I'm afraid I can't help any more than that.

That is great for the dog world. But here in the human world, we have this thing called reason, sanity and civility. No need to attack. You can still get your point across and work together to find common ground, with out violence.

How about that? I agree, and it's a practical demonstration of my civility - unless incivility is called for.
What do you know ladies and gentleman, you have an admission that civility is the way to go. And wtih the fine people of ATS, there is no need for attacks and violence.

Do you prefer when the wolf is at the door? A pit bull, or a pomeranian? The decision is yours.

That choice is entirely in your hands.

Pitbulls eat babies. Humans use reason and civility. Yes, who DO you want?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The pen is mightier than the sword. We don't need violence, attacks on people deemed "Assailants" or people kicking over bar stools.

We need words, civility and decorum, honesty, integrity, accuracy and fairness. We need some one who will listen to both sides, welcome all opinions and work together to create common ground.

Not some one who will start "kicking barstools" when some one refuses to change their opinion. When you are dealing with some one who has their mind made up, it is time work on a compromise! Not time to break furniture and attack people!

You were asked if you prefer a Pitbull or a Pomeranian.

Frankly,Pitbulls are vicious, scary, and unwelcoming. They are known for attacking people and animals alike, unprovoked. Attacking to kill.

I am not a dog though. I am a human being as are my fellow members of ATS. And as humans, we all reason. We all use civility and decorum on a daily basis and we can work together to create a better community.

We don't need violence, bar stool kicking and put bull attacks. All that brings is fear, tension and anger.

We need a leader who welcomes all opinions and considers all sides of any situation, who works with the people to create the best possible solution for everyone and puts that into play with the help of his or her fellow members.

Indeed, what do you want? A pit bull or a human?

edit on 20-6-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

reply to post by gimme_some_truth

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I must admit, I do look forward to the official debates.

I am confident they will be some of the best ATS has ever seen. We have many great parties who are all great at debating on an unofficial level.

I am excited to see how we fare once the official debates start up!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Who would listen to an ATS Regent who is throwing furniture around?

Well, now you're getting a little dramatic guy. Yes, he did say that, but his version of kicking stools is nothing but a verbal back-hand; no need to make into more than that.

And this site is NOT about getting along with everyone; and if you really believe that's the way it is around here, you've missed out on a lot of fun.

And what of your style champ..? You're as soft as a grape...the Regent doesn't need to be Type A, but neither does he/she/it need to be a poster child for the Pillow Party.

So, continue on with your campaign, just as you have been for the last 48 hrs straight, but be prepared for more character attacks.

Good luck..!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

Well, now you're getting a little dramatic guy. Yes, he did say that, but his version of kicking stools is nothing but a verbal back-hand; no need to make into more than that.

Just using his words.
He advocates for "kicking bar stools", and " attacking assailants".

I advocate for diplomacy and civility. I will let the people decide what they prefer.

If you want division and assailants. By all means, don't vote for me.

And this site is NOT about getting along with everyone; and if you really believe that's the way it is around here, you've missed out on a lot of fun.

Incorrect. ATS is all about civility. Again, how many times has it been said that we are expected to act with civility and decorum? Sure, there is a difference between having differing opinions and not getting along.

I have faith that the people of ATS can see that difference. You can either work together despite your differences in order to find the answers, the solution. Or you can "kick bar stools".

Again, the people can decide what they prefer.

And what of your style champ..? You're as soft as a grape...the Regent doesn't need to be Type A, but neither does he/she/it need to be a poster child for the Pillow Party.

If working with the people, despite differing opinions, to create a better ATS, using civility, decorum, intelligence, accuracy and experience, makes me soft in your eyes, so be it.

Id rather be a soft diplomat... You get more done that way. Think about it. Are you more likely to talk things out and make progress through civility and decorum or incivility and aggression?

So, continue on with your campaign, just as you have been for the last 48 hrs straight, but be prepared for more character attacks.

Thank you, I will continue to build myself up, use civility and honesty, integrity, accuracy, intelligence and fairness. If you wish to attack these character traits of mine, go right ahead. If you wish to paint these as bad, go right ahead. It wont hurt ME.

Good luck..!

Again, thanks. I wish good luck to each of my fellow candidates.

I encourage the people to take a look at this link. The simplified version of ATS T&C.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

THIS is the kind of behavior that is expected of each of us. Civility and decorum, my friends. If that is a bad thing in your eyes...Then man, am I bad.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Originally posted by facelift

Just using his words.
He advocates for kicking bar stools, and " attacking assailants".

I advocate for diplomacy and civility. I will let the people decide what they prefer.

If you want division and assailants. By all means, don't vote for me.

Incorrect. ATS is all about civility. Again, how many times has it been said that we are expected to act with civility and decorum? Sure, there is a difference between having differing opinions and not getting along.

I have faith that the people of ATS can see that difference. You can either work together despite your differences in order to find the answers, the solution. Or you can "kick bar stools".

Again, the people can decide what they prefer.

If working with the people, despite differing opinions, to create a better ATS, using civility, decorum, intelligence, accuracy and experience, makes me soft in your eyes, so be it.

Id rather be a soft diplomat... You get more done that way. Think about it. Are you more likely to talk things and and make progress through civility and decorum or incivility and aggression?

Thank you, I will continue to build myself up, use civility and honesty, integrity, accuracy, intelligence and fairness. If you wish to attack these character traits of mine, go right ahead. If you wish to paint these as bad, go right ahead. It wont hurt ME.

Good luck..!

Again, thanks. I wish good luck to each of my fellow candidates.

I encourage the people to take a look at this link. The simplified version of ATS T&C.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

THIS is the kind of behavior that is expected of each of us. Civility and decorum, my friends. If that is a bad thing in your eyes...Then man, am I bad.

I want someone who can kick butt, if needed. But can sit and share a brewskie with afterwards....

Des

edit on 20-6-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

I want someone who can kick butt, if needed. But can sit and share brewskie with afterwards....

Des

I don't kick butt, I work together with the community to create a better ATS so there will be no need to "kick butt".

And then I finish up with a brewskie.

If you want violence, you wont find that with me. With me, there simply is no need to "kick butt".

The pen is mightier than the sword, my friend.

Diplomacy will get you further than kicking butt,any day.

And that is what ATS needs in times of adversity. Diplomacy. Butt kickers get banned and create division. Diplomats use their words and bring people together.

The will of the people will prevail.

new topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join