It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Election Thread. Election for Regent of ATS(IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT PG. 71)

page: 36
<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Ok, so daylight savings haven't started there yet? I got 430 too, just thought DST had started.

In any event, I think Daas is the only Australian runner, and Sinny in the UK. Other than that I think everyone else is in the US.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by 74Templar

Ok, so daylight savings haven't started there yet? I got 430 too, just thought DST had started.

In any event, I think Daas is the only Australian runner, and Sinny in the UK. Other than that I think everyone else is in the US.

No, we run DST in our winter, your summer.

On weekends, I run vampire hours - sleep all day, roam all night, and through the week I can be around any old time - and usually am!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   

It's the time zone thing. there are 24 of them, and each is numbered from the Greenwich Meridian, where GMT/UTC starts. East coast US is normally "GMT -5", or Greenwich Mean Time minus five hours, because it's 5 time zones west of the Prime Meridian. Right now, however, it's only 4 hours difference, because of Daylight Savings Time.

Again I say.
huh?

reply to post by 74Templar

Ok, EST Australia is +10GMT.

O.K. Getting there ...

We are almost a day ahead of the US, so the debate will take time around 630 ish in the morning on the Sunday Australian time I think.

Right. That's all the info I need.

Pass.

Not sure on that, maths was never a strong suit.

ahhh, Ditto

But I can add this up:
Winter + Flu + 6:30am Sunday? = Netties Hermit as self appointed independent observer will respectfully catch up later in the day. I assume there will be a record/thread of this?

p.s. thank you for the time conversions guys

edit on 20/6/2012 by Netties Hermit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Alright gang, let me ask you all.

I'm in Germany (CET) or GMT +2.

I work monday through friday. So I can either get up really early in the morning, or I can stay up late on the weekends. Early might work best for friday morning (thurs night for the US, friday afternoon in Australia)

Weekends I'm pretty flexible (I can take naps
)

So you guys let me know.

We can do multiple debates, so there isn't a problem there.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Netties Hermit

For the layman, the way I worked it out was to add a second clock on my computer, and set it to US eastern time. It should then give you the time difference between the US and Aust. We are between 12-15 hours ahead of the US, it should be sometime in the morning Sunday depending when the debate is scheduled for.

I don't want to go too far off topic here though, I'm sure Beez will figure out all the times.

In any event if the time doesn't suit you could always U2U Beezzer and ask any question you would want to ask.

edit on 20-6-2012 by 74Templar because: clarity

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I support DAASKAPITAL for he stands for The Power Of Equality.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Alright gang, let me ask you all.

I'm in Germany (CET) or GMT +2.

I work monday through friday. So I can either get up really early in the morning, or I can stay up late on the weekends. Early might work best for friday morning (thurs night for the US, friday afternoon in Australia)

Weekends I'm pretty flexible (I can take naps
)

So you guys let me know.

We can do multiple debates, so there isn't a problem there.

I'm also a M-F 9 to 5er. I am good for Thursday evening (being 5:30 pm EST in the US, or minus 4 UTC).
I take it you are starting a new debate thread? Are we planning on doing this live?

Regardless, let's see if everyone can make that time.

I know that some people are getting confused about the time zones, so wouldn't it be easier to post a schedule, and see who can make it to which debate? Something like that?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

Thank you for your vision of what an ATS Regent should be. I happen to disagree in several particulars, but that's what makes the world go 'round.

You are very welcome. Now, bear with me, but, I can't help but notice something. While, you and I do disagree on whether or not an ATS regent should be friendly or unfriendly in how things are handled, we are sitting here, holding a civil discourse.

That is right, you and I, are doing precisely as I envision any ATS regent should do. Remain friendly and civil in the face of disagreement, holding a civil discourse until a solution is reached.

Imagine that. My way seems to be working fairly well between you and I, so far.

Neither one of us are treating each other as assailants, as you proposed an ATS Regent should do. Neither one of us are being unfriendly, as you propose an ATS Regent should be...Yet, we are making progress, working together to reach a conclusion and a solution.

It seems, perhaps you agree with my way, more than you are willing to let on. But, your posts are giving it away, my friend.

Friendliness and Civil Discourse are in fact, the way to go for any ATS Regent. Which is what I will do as Regent of ATS. Listen to all sides, differences and opinions, working together with the people to come to a conclusion.

It works much better than choosing sides, and treating people who have a different opinion, as an assailant. The very fact that even you, who advocates for unfriendliness, are now, hold a civil discourse withe me.

Sure, it's nice to be nice, but there is a time and a place for that. One size does not fit all. You can't "nice" a charging rhino to death, you have to stand against him

Well, it's a fortunate thing, that there are no Rhinos here on ATS. Just people.... And the fine people of ATS, unlike a Rhino, can reason and be reasoned with. No needed to stand against anyone. With me as ATS Regent, we will stand together!

A world with "no assailants" just isn't going to happen. Not now, not ever.

Well, in your world where we remain unfriendly to each other and treat each other as assailants, you would be right. Which is why it is time to change things.

We have had a very nice discussion and continue to do so, in the manner that I suggest any ATS Regent, should. Civilly, calmly and in a friendly way, working together to find common ground and a solution.

Ladies and gentlemen, my way, works.

Which do you prefer? Unfriendliness and attacking assailants? Or friendliness, honesty and civility, working together despite differences to create a solution?

You decide.

The will of the people, will prevail

Now, I must leave and head back to the hospital, I thank you for your warm wishes and I look forward to continuing this civil discourse, now and in the debates.

Untill then.

PLEASE STAND BY........

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by jplaysguitar
gimmie_some_truth do you live washington in real life?

Nope. Never even visited. Is that your way of saying that I seem like a true politician?

If so, I am not sure that is a good thing or a bad thing.

But seriously, I live in Dallas.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Hi folks!

I'm currently wating for some information and/or determination concerning a possible radio (ATS) debate.

MODS! (if you're watching this) would this be possible?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

hey, if you all do that i would need it recorded so i can report on the debate.... there is no telling if I would be able to be online during the debate.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

I know they do rebroadcasts, but when I know something, you'll know something.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
The current list, as far as I know.

Monster Raving Lunatic Party
boymonkey74

The Malum Canis party
Advantage

Independent Party
moosevernel

The Truth Party
gimme_some_truth

Libertarian-Farmer-Labor-Conservative party
FractalChaos13242017

Banana Republic Party
cenpuppie

Abducted platform
HomerinNC

The Smear Campaign Party
IpsissimusMagus

Goldman $ach$ Party
RealSpoke

Radical Centrist Party
DJW001

LIBERTARIAN PARTY OF COMMON SENSE
Sinny

Grain of Salt Party
twohawks

*open*
Taupin Desciple

Anarchists of Gaia Party
Druid42

*open*
Wide-Eyes

Stark Party
OrphenFire

Meritocracy party
TheCelestialHuman

ATS People's Party
daaskapital

Independent
lIIuminatus

Clean Living Party
Partygirl

Curmudgeon Party
nenothtu

Paid Shills and Disinformation Agents Party
Furbs

The Smylee Birthday Ninja Party
PurpleChiten
smyleegrl

Blitzen Party
subject x

No Nonsense Party
Dembow

The Undeclared Party
Blaine91555

The Booze Party
boncho

The 50 Shades Of Debate Party
Just Chris

edit on 20-6-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-6-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu Jun 21 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Did Just Chris drop out of the race?

And you can erase that LightningStrikesHere from the list, he did say he dropped out...

gee, I only have some 16 more interviews to do...lol... I do not know if I will ever get there! hahahaha
edit on 20-6-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpinionatedB
reply to post by beezzer

And you can erase that LightningStrikesHere from the list, he did say he dropped out...

gee, I only have some 16 more interviews to do...lol... I do not know if I will ever get there! hahahaha

Dang, did I miss one? Who? With what party?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

... And you're sure your sponsors will send the cheque?
Okay, here's the one for the highway billboards.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by 74Templar
reply to post by Netties Hermit

For the layman, the way I worked it out was to add a second clock on my computer, and set it to US eastern time. It should then give you the time difference between the US and Aust. We are between 12-15 hours ahead of the US, it should be sometime in the morning Sunday depending when the debate is scheduled for.

I run Firefox as a browser, and there is an addon for it called "Foxclocks" that does all the calculations for me in real time. I've got several time zones set up in it so that all I have to do is roll the mouse over the icon in the browser tools and all of them pop up at once with the current time and date there.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

For being an ol' windbag, that's a pretty handy tip.

Thanks for sharing. I'll have to check that out.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

That is right, you and I, are doing precisely as I envision any ATS regent should do. Remain friendly and civil in the face of disagreement, holding a civil discourse until a solution is reached.

Imagine that. My way seems to be working fairly well between you and I, so far.

It may be that you are misunderstanding my methodology. I don't "jump" because it would be fun, I jump when someone desperately needs jumped at. You have displayed no such need, ergo I remain civil. I don't "kick over bar stools" for fun, only when it's needed.

It works much better than choosing sides, and treating people who have a different opinion, as an assailant. The very fact that even you, who advocates for unfriendliness, are now, hold a civil discourse withe me.

Merely having a different opinion is insufficient grounds to pounce. it's all in how that opinion is PRESENTED. It's counterproductive to have a miniature uncivil war with people who are not being uncivil.

Sure, it's nice to be nice, but there is a time and a place for that. One size does not fit all. You can't "nice" a charging rhino to death, you have to stand against him

Well, it's a fortunate thing, that there are no Rhinos here on ATS. Just people.... And the fine people of ATS, unlike a Rhino, can reason and be reasoned with. No needed to stand against anyone. With me as ATS Regent, we will stand together!

This is where we differ. The full quote of what I actually said is this:

Sure, it's nice to be nice, but there is a time and a place for that. One size does not fit all. You can't "nice" a charging rhino to death, you have to stand against him - and that applies to belligerents of the human variety as well. If you don't oppose them, you'll just get steamrolled. As an advocate for the membership, there are just going to be times when "nice" won't get the job done.

It may be found in this post

It may have been convenience to truncate the section where I applied the same principle to recalcitrant humans, or it may have been a mere over sight, or perhaps dishonesty, but the full quote says other than the snippet you quoted.

I stand by what I said. There are just folks in this world who will pat you on the back long enough to find a soft spot to sink the knife in, and I prefer NOT to "stand together" with them. I'd rather keep them at arms length.

A world with "no assailants" just isn't going to happen. Not now, not ever.

Well, in your world where we remain unfriendly to each other and treat each other as assailants, you would be right. Which is why it is time to change things.

That is human nature, and will never change as long as humans remain humans. There are people who are just junkyard dog mean, and they need a guard dog to oppose them. The same guard dogs who will eat alive any intruders into my house also play with my grand daughters... and no one EVER bothers them. It's not an "either/or" proposition neither for guard dogs of the canine variety nor the human sort. Any one who is 100% either way betrays a lack of depth.

In the canine world, dogs who can do nothing but fight are put to sleep. Dogs who do nothing but fawn have to frequently be rescued themselves. Musashi said "from one thing, know 10,000 things". If you can't see the parallels and draw the lessons, I'm afraid I can't help any more than that.

We have had a very nice discussion and continue to do so, in the manner that I suggest any ATS Regent, should. Civilly, calmly and in a friendly way, working together to find common ground and a solution.

How about that? I agree, and it's a practical demonstration of my civility - unless incivility is called for. Have we a practical example anywhere of your ability to rise to the occasion when confrontation is called for? I mean, other than the ban hammer as a Mod? Just as a regular man of the People?

Which do you prefer? Unfriendliness and attacking assailants? Or friendliness, honesty and civility, working together despite differences to create a solution?

You decide.

The will of the people, will prevail

Indeed, people, which Do you prefer when the wolf is at the door? A pit bull, or a pomeranian? The decision is yours.

That choice is entirely in your hands.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by OpinionatedB
reply to post by beezzer

Dang, did I miss one? Who? With what party?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thats his link, I sent him interview questions a day or two ago but he has not yet answered them, I do not think he has been online... I liked his platform and thought he would be a good contender....

top topics

<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join