It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Election Thread. Election for Regent of ATS(IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT PG. 71)

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by beezzer

Beezer, is there any way there can be a bit more organisation in the way this is presented. Could almost do with it's own forum. I wonder if the big wigs would allow a temporary forum to be set up for this exercise. Somewhere we can see all the candidates and their "manifestos". Just a suggestion from a concerned constituent.

I put [ATS Regents election] in the thread title for the other thread I opened so people could tell there was a reason for it. That may help to keep things a little organized. It works over in that short story forum which is where I got the idea.
A dedicated forum would be great though!

Great idea!!

edit on 19-6-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Beezer, is there any way there can be a bit more organisation in the way this is presented. Could almost do with it's own forum. I wonder if the big wigs would allow a temporary forum to be set up for this exercise. Somewhere we can see all the candidates and their "manifestos". Just a suggestion from a concerned constituent.

Good question.

All I can do is ask.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Good question.

All I can do is ask.

Three cheers for Interim Regent Beezer!!!

HIP HIP HOOORAAYYY
HIP HIP HOOORAAYYY
HIP HIP HOOORAAYYY

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by 74Templar

Very well, I will attempt to clarify.

With such an international base of clientele, do you, as regent, feel that there is a trend toward divisivness across the board, and away from the civilised discussion you promote.

There will always be contrary folks. I don't see it so much as a "trend" as I do "business as usual". They come, then they either get calmed down or they go.

While we are all here to discuss with decorum the events of the world, do you feel we are leaning away from that civility and are leaning toward a trend of hostile intentions veiled only by the T&Cs and the agenda and clever wording of those who would promote that division.

No doubt that hostile intent is to be found all across the boards, sometimes veiled, some times not so much so. I don't think it's a "trend" - it just IS, and always has been. At some times we see a spike in that sort of activity when particularly divisive issues arise, such as the upcoming political season in the real world of the US, but the spikes come and go. I don't see an upward trend. I can, however, see how people may mistake one of those spikes for an upward trend if they've not been around long enough to watch how they happen, then dissipate back into the background noise.

In either event, how would you, as regent;

A) educate newer members of the proper civilities when engaging in such discussions? and;

B) Steer those away who seek to promote this ignorance to better discuss their ideals and not have degenerate into a "bashing" thread or just a series of random insults hurled at one another?

This question has been raised across the boards in many rants of late, and while we are aware of the ATS powers stance on agendas, it should be to the Regent to educate, not immolate the people.

Your thoughts?

Nothing educates like a good immolation. The key is to not leave permanent scars.

I've got a system which I have employed with a fairly high degree of success in such matters. I read. I watch, when one of those divisive sorts flings out an outrageous comment, I drop in something reasonable, but sure to provoke him or her. Call it "troll bait" if you like. Without fail, they will pounce on my comment, then I set the hook. I'll fight just as long as they do, and just a little harder. When they get worn down, I reduce the aggression level. The objective is to wear them down to the point that they will listen and think, not to obliterate them.

There are folks around who have watched me do that. They may or may not have identified the system, but there it is, all laid out. In some few cases, the opposition doesn't ever learn. Those usually disappear, and good riddance to them. They have no place in a civil community. I don't immolate them, they become immolated by their own emotions and incapacities. That's how they are "steered away". I don't result to bashing or insults. Those just don't cut as deeply as unassailable logic, and are, generally speaking, pretty ineffective.

So, in short, I give as good as I get to educate them. If the conflict level is high, I go there. If it drops, mine does too. In particularly intractable cases, they set themselves on fire. I just watch 'em burn.

The current system of warnings and post bans works reasonably well. if a person can't figure out their behavior is unacceptable via a few warning or an inability to post at all for a period of time, then they probably aren't bright enough to join this community to begin with, and down comes the ban hammer. ATS is not particularly capricious with bans, and there are remedies and review available to appeal them if the violation was not TOO egregious.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

Three cheers for Interim Regent Beezer!!!

HIP HIP HOOORAAYYY
HIP HIP HOOORAAYYY
HIP HIP HOOORAAYYY

I'm going to ignore you now.

edit on 19-6-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

The background to that image is looking an AWFUL LOT like the Curmudgeon Party Flag...

Curmudgeon party Flag posted 4 1/2 hours previous

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Change in party name to reflect progress and refinement while holding to the foundation already set forth:

Conglomerated Holistic Intelligence Tandem Engaging Nature Party (CHITEN Party)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

ETA: still in tandem with the Smyleeface Party and Birthday Ninja Party, and hoping to encompass the Radical Centrist Party ... names must reflect all those involved and the "Conglomerated" part of the name is a reflection of that.

Any other party wishing to join forces is very welcome as long as their basic foundation matches what is laid forth by ours.

OMG! Are you aiming for a NWO One World Governement via the mechanism of assimilating the other parties in some sort of corporate conglomeration?

edit on 2012/6/19 by nenothtu because: used wrong bb code for smiley

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

Change in party name to reflect progress and refinement while holding to the foundation already set forth:

Conglomerated Holistic Intelligence Tandem Engaging Nature Party (CHITEN Party)

ETA: still in tandem with the Smyleeface Party and Birthday Ninja Party, and hoping to encompass the Radical Centrist Party ... names must reflect all those involved and the "Conglomerated" part of the name is a reflection of that.

Any other party wishing to join forces is very welcome as long as their basic foundation matches what is laid forth by ours.

OMG! Are you aiming for a NWO One World Governement via the mechanism of assimilating the other parties in some sort of corporate conglomeration?

Nah, that would be boring and cliche', I'm using a time machine to bring everyone together yet retain their individuality

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

There you go. Pics, so it must have happened... er, must be going to happen...

Interesting background in that image, too, but I can't lay a claim to it....
If those are maple leaves, they must be those funny looking "Japanese Maples".... but aren't those supposed to be purple, like Chitens are supposed to be in nature?

edit on 2012/6/19 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Agree.

If you are running,for Regent,then run. If not,then just vote.

I would hope those running, take something greater then humor/satire,out of this. The whole point is to try and rise above what the "norm" has been.

I might not subscribe to EVERYTHING stated by the person I am backing,but one thing is for sure. Consistency. That's what I am really looking for,from the start.

Absolutely, this is meant to be a serious election and I can really only say that a handful of us, myself included, are taking this seriously. Jokes are great. But we don't need jokes, we need solutions. We need consistency. We need Honesty, Integrity, accuracy, civility and truth.

We need some one who will take the ATS Regent position with all seriousness, as it deserves and as the people of ATS deserve. I am that person.

And together, we can and WILL rise above the norm. I have said it before and I will say it again. The will of the people will prevail.

Truth_2012

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Nah, that would be boring and cliche', I'm using a time machine to bring everyone together yet retain their individuality

You use your favorite ATS meme, and I'll use mine...

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

reply to post by PurpleChiten

There you go. Pics, so it must have happened... er, must be going to happen...

Interesting background in that image, too, but I can't lay a claim to it....
If those are maple leaves, they must be those funny looking "Japanese Maples".... but aren't those supposed to be purple, like Chitens are supposed to be in nature?

edit on 2012/6/19 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

I think they're a hybrid species mixed with water maple, hence the green hue from the additional chloroplasts ...

It caused a rift in the space/time continuum and had to be taken care of... back to the election now!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I think they're a hybrid species mixed with water maple, hence the green hue from the additional chloroplasts ...

I knew a guy who tried to use that same excuse with a cop one time...

It's all good.... y'all make a nice looking couple. It's be a good consolation to you when you find out you're in the wrong timeline!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I knew a guy who tried to use that same excuse with a cop one time...

It's all good.... y'all make a nice looking couple. It's be a good consolation to you when you find out you're in the wrong timeline!

... but all the timelines converge, so there's only one to be in

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by IpsissimusMagus

After an in depth investigation. Sources have uncovered facts that must be brought forth into the light. The claims made by gimme_some_truth have been repeated over and over in this thread. But let's take a quick journey into what he really stands for when people are not looking.

Okay, lets. You start of showing a thread of mine where I encourage members to have fun, with the T&C still applying.... What's wrong with that? A fun thread with the rules of the T&C applying? Is that supposed to be a bad thing?

You claim people were not looking? That was a pretty nice sized thread. Clearly people WERE looking and clearly the people were in support of good clean fun with the T&C applying.

That's right folks, have some fun, take your pants off and rummage through the ATS fridge for some grub.

No mods are on right now.... So for no apparent reason I am starting a no mod party thread...

( Of course the T&C still applies).

So the truth comes out.

Yeah, the truth comes out that I have a high regard for the terms and conditions of this site, even in fun and happy threads.... Are you suggesting that is a bad thing? Personally, I consider working within the rules of this site to have a good time with my fellow members, a great thing.

Now you link this thread of mine. Again, I say, is bringing a smile to the faces of our troops and the elderly a bad thing? I don't think so and neither do my fellow members who posted in that thread. You seem to not line up with what the people want. Have you noticed that?

You claim that you will do as the people want, but these past two instances you have tried ( and failed) to attack me with, the people were supporting me in my actions and my threads... So...If the people support it...You should to...Or will you now retract your statement that you work for the people and will vote the peoples will?

Topics I Dislike:

My least favorite topic on this site is politics. I mean, I love politics but on a site such as this, with people who feel VERY strongly when it comes to their personal views. Because of that there is a decent chance that a lot of those threads will go from well meaning threads, to arguments that contain personal attacks and mudslinging

What are we to believe?

Well, frankly,I believe that you have no firm grasp as to what an ATS regent is....

Why would someone who dislikes discussing politics on ATS suddenly run for ATS Regent?

You are aware that ATS regent is not a political position right? We are not running for president. We are running to be a ceremonial advocate of the people. You can't tell the difference? The people can and will vote.

Here we have examples of the honesty and integrity that was promised to you by gimme_some_truth

Yes, you show a thread in which I encourage people to have fun within the rules of the T&C and a thread in which I help put a smile on the face of our troops overseas while spending time with the elderly in a nursing home.

If you are suggesting these are bad things, well, I feel you will be standing alone on that one.

What say you ATS. Can you trust a man who says he's honest yet lies to his own grandmother? Is this the kind of person you want as your Regent? Really?

And I will beg your pardon on that one. First of all, I did not lie to anyone. She knew what I was doing, as did the activity director and everyone else I was spending time with in that nursing home. Second, I will thank you not to drag family members into this...

With all due respect, the only person I have seen lying, is you, with your joke articles, bashing your opponents, which shows just how seriously you take this election. You keep joking, friend. It's not hurting ME......
edit on 19-6-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

STARRRRR!!!

Excellent job, stay thirsty my friend!

.... if I were to bow out of the race due to my upcoming nuptials to the chickadee in my picture, I would certainly consider you as the possible recipient of my support...

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by IpsissimusMagus

That was Great ! You have my vote....your posts throughout this campaign have been hysterical...

We have Mods and T&C's to keep us "honest" and promote "truth", what ever that means? I want a Regency that can poke some fun at the "craziness" here on ATS and by extention the World.

George Carlin didn't follow the conventional "rules"...but he made some POWERFUL points, and still made us laugh...that's what made him so brilliant. He didn't take himself too seriously...and he didn't "censor" himself, or try and censor others.

I enjoy ATS very much, but I find myself, and others taking things so to heart and trying to be so serious...that we forget to "breath" and sometimes you just have to laugh......Always having to be PC when talking here, in real life, in politics, etc., etc....gets exhausting....yeah, yeah....I "understand" WHY it's important to be "polite" to one another, and generally that's how I "roll", but do you guys sometimes ever want to just say, straight up, without thinking of "fancy" ways to say it...."This is F#@king Stupid" ......

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join