It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jailhouse Goons Make Fun Of and Kill a Mentally Ill Inmate.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Hi.

Just a little story of how Sheriff Joe treats his inmates.....

www.phoenixnewtimes.com...

It takes a twisted individual to delight in the sufferings of the mentally ill. A special type of sick, sadistic bully. The kind employed in spades by the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office.

Toxicology results from specimens, including those taken at St. Joseph's Hospital hours after Atencio's arrest earlier that day, showed no illicit drugs in Atencio's system.

Phoenix Police Department reports reveal that Atencio generally was passive and compliant during the two encounters with Phoenix cops that culminated in his arrest on December 15. Indeed, Atencio "showed no signs of being a danger to himself or others," according to Phoenix Officer Sarah Roberts.

Atencio was arrested in West Phoenix for scaring a resident, Cathy Boyd, after kicking the apartment door of her neighbor. "Marty did not physically threaten me at any time . . . I knew there was something wrong with him, and I just wanted him to . . . get some help."

Later, after Atencio was hauled to a "safe cell," where he would be stripped of clothing and left to die, Hatton continued the abuse, kneeing Atencio as guards held him down. Detention officer Blas Gabrial told detectives that he yelled Hatton's name upon seeing the force used on Atencio. When asked why, he said, "Because I didn't think it was necessary."

So for all of you out there who think Sheriff Joe is this amazing person I hope you enjoyed the read.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Sheriff Joe has no interest in rehabilitation. He is the epitome of American vengeance and retribution. How this man remains in any position of authority is incomprehensible.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Strung up by his thumbs and let the family of his victims have their ways with him. Chechnyian style.

Screw these un-carring, un-thoughtful human beings. If they are accepting their own behavior as normal, then a little 'normalcy' returned to them should only make them smile.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

Since the 44-year-old's death occurred just hours after the U.S. Department of Justice issued its scathing report on the MCSO's pattern of discriminatory policing, racial profiling, and abuse of Latinos in Joe's gulags, much has been revealed about the circumstances surrounding the Atencio homicide.

And all because the person who made the report only wanted Atencio to get some help.
edit on 16-6-2012 by xEphon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
This goes on in every jail in every county in this country.

I have seen it for myself and it is sickening.

These gaurds are uneducated, weakminded, insecure, pussies who lack any empathy or compassion.
They are pack animals and they feed off of eachother. The most eye opening thing I have ever seen from
my fellow humans.

Don't EVER go to jail for an extended stay or you will see things you'd rather not know go on in your local jail.

I was in there with someone who had a broken arm and he was denied medical treatment for three days.
Gaurds didn't want to hear of it.

Another guy was clearly mentally ill and waking up screaming "NO DADDY!! DON'T MAKE ME DO IT AGAIN"!!!
He started having seizures and such. Guards didn't give a #. We begged them to get him some help. The told us he was fine. We sat by him and cared for him as best we could.

They don't give a # about you when you're in jail.
They'll just let you rot.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
It's very dangerous to have a mental illness in this country. The sad thing here is people are scared of them yet, the mentally ill are more likely to be victims of crime.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I screwed up and got a dui a couple years ago and had to spend 10 days in "Tent City". I was on work release so I was out at 7am - 7 pm. It was in Feb. though and for those who think otherwise Phoenix is cold in Feb.!!!

We had to sleep in the tents on army cots with only a couple thin blankets.

On the third or fourth night we had a storm. First a wall of dust then a steady freezing rain. I was on the top bunk and of course the tent leaked.
I got so freaking sick I thought I was going to die.

I showed up every night they asked me if I wanted medical one night but I said hell no. I've heard some nasty stories and I didn't want to end up with TB or something worse so I toughed it out.

One of the worse experiences of my life.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiflad
Sheriff Joe has no interest in rehabilitation. He is the epitome of American vengeance and retribution. How this man remains in any position of authority is incomprehensible.

It is the people that keep voting him in , it's not like he was appointed to this position for life . The fact evil permeates our prison system on oth sides of the barbed wire essentially shows the basic make up of all of society .

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Sounds like a bs story to me. Probably all completely made up. Otherwise its just another story of how our corrupt jails are being run country wide. They wonder why jails and prisons take regular people and turn them into vicious crooks

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

FoxPhoenix

What occured when he arrived at the hail?
What occured that resulted in his clothing being removed?
What occured that resulted in the use of force?

Also -

A county medical examiner's report released last week said Atencio died of complications from cardiac arrest, but didn't list the manner of death.

How about we wait for all the information and confirmation before we find a rope and send a person to find a tall tree?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

FoxPhoenix

What occured when he arrived at the hail?
What occured that resulted in his clothing being removed?
What occured that resulted in the use of force?

Also -

A county medical examiner's report released last week said Atencio died of complications from cardiac arrest, but didn't list the manner of death.

How about we wait for all the information and confirmation before we find a rope and send a person to find a tall tree?

Disagree based on other officer's statements. Even if Atencio had not died, the abuse and neglect were still evident, evident enough for one officer to yell out Hatton's name.

The most damning evidence of Atencio's mistreatment comes from interviews with detention officers and Phoenix cops carried out within days, sometimes within hours, of Atencio's beat-down and Tasing, referred to euphemistically by the Medical Examiner's Office as a "law enforcement subdual

edit on 16-6-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Actually I did enjoy the read...

What I read has little to do with Sheriff Joe and everything to do with how things are done in just about every jail in this Country. I have been beaten, laughed at, mocked or berated and disrespected while being booked into jails in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, South Carolina and Kansas. What happened in this jail in Arizona is not new or rare. It is the norm.

Also, what does any of this have to do with Sheriff Joe? Was he there? Did he participate? Not according to the article. So instead of holding the Officers responsible for their own actions, this is somehow the fault of a person who is not there? Obviously not, but what this article is trying (very poorly) to do is infer that this is a policy of the racist Sheriff Joe. What I find interesting in this, is that this is not what is done in so many similar cases. Let us look at the Kelly Thomas beating as an example. No one blamed the Police Chief of Fullerton for the actions of the Officers in the street. So why would you blame Sheriff Joe for the actions of Officers in a jail?

Better yet..explain this one... If some of the Officers involved were from the Phoenix Police Department which is entirely separate from the Sheriff's Office- how is the Sheriff responsible? If one actually looks at the track record of the Phoenix PD you would also see that incidents like this are par for the course.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I have schizophrenia and spent 8 days in the county jail when I was in a phsycosis. I was locked up for not taking a court orderd defensive driving class. The reason I didn't go to the class is because I was coming down with schizophrenia. I told the judge that there was something wrong with me and I didn't know what. That I hadn't left the house in 6 months. He said no excuse 10 days.

When in jail they took away my clothes and strapped me naked in a chair. I didn't absolutely nothing wrong. After 8 days of refusing to eating anything they let me out early. They kept me away from all the other inmates though.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Okay the man is the Sheriff the people in the story are deputies. He is the boss. He is responsible for what happens in "his" jail just ask him.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

I am sorry you were treated that way.

I think we should do something about the abuse.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

All I am saying is the 100 meter rush to judgement without knowing all the facts is problematic. Lets wait for the autopsy report and go from there. Better to prosecute with all the info in court than speculation in public opinion.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout

Okay the man is the Sheriff the people in the story are deputies. He is the boss. He is responsible for what happens in "his" jail just ask him.

Actually that is not accurate at all. From the article...

As reported last week in my Feathered Bastard blog, the Atencio family's attorney, Mike Manning, has filed notices of claim, totaling $20 million, with both the city of Phoenix and Maricopa County in Atencio's brutal demise at the hands of Phoenix cops and MCSO detention officers working in the Fourth Avenue Jail.

What does that say about Phoenix cops? Plus "detention officers" also does not mean "deputies". Your basic Correctional Officer has ZERO authority to uphold the law. They are not cops, they are not law enforcement. A "Deputy" however is a Law Enforcement Officer who can uphold the law and make arrest.

Any questions?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Maybe from this article.

I think the Sheriff is responsible for the actions of his deputies.

As far as the city police well the county deputies have rank then state then fed.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

You failed to include the most important part of the story which has nothing to do with Sheriff Joe.

Two Phoenix police officers who were there to help process detainees initiated what Manning calls a "jailers' riot," even though Atencio was standing before them, arms crossed, presenting no threat.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

They're also more likely to be convicted of either a crime they did not commit or a crime committed while in a psychotic state. The latter is akin to temporary insanity.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join