It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteor 2012 AD14

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

Originally posted by MoeFugga
reply to post by ngchunter

well then, we have time to get to GJ 667Cc al we need to do is invent a warp drive or at least the ability to travel at light speed.

Question on that... if in 0 Gravity if there is no friction while moving through space, could a craft move ant incredible speeds?

Not without the required energy to move it; objects in space still have mass regardless of gravity.

Yes everything has mass regardless of Gravity, However I suspect the amount of force needed to move an object is minor.. I've seen video of a spacewalk where astronaughts move satellites around as if they were balloons. I think Newtons law "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"? This does NOT require any "reference mass". Push to the LEFT with one pound of force, and everything moves RIGHT by an equal amount.

I am just looking into differant types of hypothetical options such as propulsion, solar wind sails, Gravitoelectromagnetic toroidal launchers, Nuclear photonic rocket, Fission-fragment rocket, Bussard ramjet, Antimatter catalyzed nuclear pulse propulsion, Fusion rocket, Nuclear pulse propulsion - Project Daedalus' drive, and My Favorite - Antimatter catalyzed nuclear pulse propulsion

Reasearching for a sci-fi novel (if I ever get started) so thats why all the questions regarding meteor impacts and doomsday stuff

Certainly many options exist, but none of them will allow you to break light speed. Whether that matters to the crew is debatable; relativistic travel would make a very long journey seem short at high fractions of light speed (in terms of measuring one's velocity simply by measuring how fast objects appear to be moving by you, it would seem like you're accelerating well past light speed as if relativity didn't exist, but if you examined a clock on those objects moving by you, you would see that time is vastly accelerated and if you measured your speed by that time then you're not traveling faster than light), it's just that by the time they return, everyone they ever knew would be long dead.

I suspect it would be a one way Trip so the fact that everyone we ever knew were dead is not an issue

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join