It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Am Eccentric

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Thanks again to those of you that have left positive feedback or have read the thread and can relate to it in a positive manner. Contrary to the beliefs of some members, there was no hidden agenda or ulterior motive for creating this thread. I did not intend to conduct a social experiment or groom anybody into becoming a Manchurian candidate. I am rather intrigued by some of these suggestions as they would make for a good novel. Then I remembered that I am on ATS and many great creative minds frequent these forums.

Unfortunately, it seems there is an effort by a small number of members to be cynical, pessimistic and negative in relation to the content of this thread. People like this exist in all areas of life. They see a positive construct - something that connects and inspires people - and they feel the need to shoot it down or destroy the positivity that it creates. Whether this is done for selfish reasons such as taking joy in spreading misery and negativity to ease one's soul, or playing the role of contrarian remains to be seen. Either way I do not feel anger or resentment for these people, I feel pity.

Another important point to note is that while some members insist that this thread is evidence that I and others like me are not eccentric because there are apparently so many of us, the truth is that even the number of people viewing this thread is but a minuscule representation of number of the greater population. When you go to the supermarket, mall or airport, how many people do you see that are readers of ATS or other alternative topic websites? How many of those people can relate to the views expressed in the OP? I estimate not many would.

I don't know were your head is at, but the one who is really being negative is you, your opening post drowns in negativity and depression related descriptions and symptoms. you are constantly confirming your depression, and others are doing the same by saying that they feel the same. Now you are trying to make excuses for it, that it is the fault of others because they react so negative or skeptic, so actually you are strengthening those depressed feelings because you are in denial. It is chosing for the easy way.

The first step of healing, is to admit that there is something wrong with yourself, it is a very hard thing to do but once you did it you will see what I mean.

Also I think that you don't really know what a depression is and that you don't recognize the symptoms of it, that is not really your fault but actually quite common for someone who has mental issues.

Al people, or most people with mental issues don't recognize it because they think it is the envoirment who acts crazy and not themself.
edit on 17-6-2012 by yougetwhatyoudeserve because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-6-2012 by yougetwhatyoudeserve because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by atlasastro

Wow, this is an excellent post

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by atlasastro

I didn't imply the OP itself was positive, I meant the reaction from other members to what was written has been overwhelmingly positive - the way people are able to connect with each others' feelings and not feel embarrassed and ashamed. As you said, that they are not alone in having these sensations. Sometimes it is the worst of situations that bring out the best of people. The same goes for the OP. It's some pretty dark stuff in there, I admit, but look at many of the positive responses it has elicited.

I generally don't respond specifically to the negative posts for the same reason I don't respond specifically to the positive ones: I'm not one of those people that likes hearing the sound of his own voice (or seeing the text of my own typing). While I do enjoy discussions, on these forums I especially enjoy seeing the opinions and mindsets of other people, it fascinates me. This thread isn't really about me, but rather a state of existence that many people can relate to. I would prefer to keep it that way.

If you feel that my post is more to do with insecurity than eccentricity then that is fine and I respect your opinion. I am aware of the definitions of both words and still feel that I am an eccentric character as opposed to an insecure one. Do I have insecurities? Yes, I believe everyone does to a certain extent. I am not overtly eccentric but rather my eccentricities begin to appear the more you get to know me.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by yougetwhatyoudeserve

Well that's probably because I suffer from Clinical Depression and mild OCD. FYI, I am on prescription medication and I see a mental health professional regularly. I am very aware of Depression as an illness as well as the effects it has on one's brain. Please do not make silly assumptions and try to be an E-Psychologist who feels it is his or her duty to diagnose and categorise strangers on an internet forum.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I am not sure if this has been asked...Or... how many pages deep we are.

Are you adopted?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by kat2684
reply to post by satron

You nailed it for me!!!

I was very lonely, I made my own little world to occupy my mind, no love or interaction unless negative from mom or dad. Constant ignoring and negativity, drove me deep into my imagination, that led to me researching to make my imagination more accurate.

edit on 17-6-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-6-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

The worst thing is that many parents like this won't admit that there is this problem because they probably don't know it themselves. You can't reconcile with them, and they will just say that it's YOU that's the problem.

"Grow up"
"Get over it"

Yet you are trying to with their help, but they are none. And hence the lack of confidence children have, because they have been placed in an impossible situation, especially if there is no outlet for them away from their parents.

I had a friend like this growing up, and he wanted to be at our house all the time and never wanted to go to his. My mom and dad had to turn him down many times because he was over so much. Then we moved away and I think he was pretty much shattered, and when we did get together afterwards, I felt resentment from him. He was never the same and was more "occupied within himself".

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
That was very well written, especially by ATS standards. What is your point? Are you attempting to connect with others that feel a certain disconnect from mainstream society? Was that whole piece written at you, under the glass? I'm not being mouthy, I liked what you wrote, just want to get what you're getting at.

I feel the same as the OP, I never was what you could consider normal by any standard.....and I have a twisted view of the world in its entirety.

I think it retrospect that it has more to do with the many different reasons why one would relate to such a thing. We each have our reasons. The feeling that this version of reality isn't real....a superficially created world that dictates people down to their very emotions.

A buck against the programming....maybe so. Many feel that I am a wee off my rocker.....when in reality I'm just ahead of the curve.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I see myself as somewhat of a different breed than the usual divide of "eccentrics" and "normal, stupid boring people"

I can identify with most things you wrote (rather beautifully, by the way) but at the same time I don't shy away from mainstream society.. I mean of course I have a problem with pretty much everything it says and does, but instead of sulking about it I just tell people what I think and laugh at their confused, generic reactions.. we're still all human and capable of loving each other and enjoying each other's company and perspective.. if you have eccentric ideas, you should always share them with everyone else.. yes they'll laugh and call you ridiculous at first, and yes that'll make you feel alienated and subdued (if you're emotionally weak, this isn't a bad thing but if it's wearing you down you gotta find that inner strength to not care what people think), but when the equilibrium shifts (as it is doing now) and society becomes more understanding and accepting of your eccentric ideas.. people will remember that you were saying it ages ago and will realize they were wrong to be so close-minded.. and next time may hesitate to ridicule someone with eccentric ideas.. this I believe is the effect that forms the foundation for humanity's so-called "awakening" and is what will be the liberation for us all

so don't look at society as the big, bad ignoramus that refuses to accept you.. look at it as the proud nation of people struggling to escape a linear and one-dimensional world view and who needs fine eccentrics such as yourself to open it's mind.. you might just find that you'll enjoy being a part of it and that you'll "belong" (although you always have belonged, you just didn't know it yet)
edit on 17-6-2012 by MagnaCarta19 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MerkabaMeditation

You're definitely not a looser, just someone who has trouble fitting in with what is considered 'normal'.
The fact that the world is in the current state is mostly due to to all these 'normal' beings that have no ethics, no curiosity, no respect and no real intelligence (I think this has been said by another poster already).
Do you also have the feeling that when you enter the room, everyone notices you and sometimes seems to be scared by your presence? This happens to me, even by just being present I sometimes seem to insult people, even though I am properly dressed and don't look overly bad. It's just an energy I seem to emit that they are not used to. In my perception, the lower the frequencies of these people seem to be, the more I seem to insult them by being present.
The poster who attributes everything to insecurity and negativity is obviously not on the same page and did not live through the same experiences. I know for sure I was not negative or insecure as a 3 year old and was even quite outgoing. This came to and end when I first went to pre-school at 3 y old and was immediately attacked and beaten up. This started a 25 year long dark period of being bullied and everything that comes with it.
I am also in my forties now, managed to find a job, wife and have 2 beautiful children. But I still struggle with the past and with the way the world works now. It's just cognitive dissonance between the world we live in and a potential world that would be arranged according to our ideas.
My apologies if my English is not perfect, it is not my native tongue.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I can relate to the OP, S+F. I know not my purpose and have unrealistic expectations, call it depression or reality hitting hard. I would rather be cast astray than fit in with 'society', Keep on keeping on....question everything.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

dude throw the "medication" out (unless it's weed, NEVER throw out weed) and tell the "professional" to go diagnose his own ass.. no-one has a mental health "problem" (just different neural configurations that everyone can deal with personally through meditation) and no-one needs any kind of "medication" produced by big pharma

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by yougetwhatyoudeserve

Normally I don't do this but... Stop being a you-know-what.
If you don't understand or like the thread, stop posting in it.

I've seen you and a couple other people getting ready to troll.
Just because you don't understand or don't feel the way a certain other group
of people feel, thats not an "OK" to start calling people crazy
and looney and start putting people down. I am eccentric, but
I'm also not an idiot. Anybody with half a brain could easily
tell your just trying to be a troll with no clear objective other
than to talk bad about people.

To everyone else, this thread was going good until you
ruined it, thanks. First thread I've agreed with people
on on so many levels in ATS history and you come in
with dumb comments like : "I don't get it" and "your crazy".

I usually don't get mad but WOW. People are truly emotionless
social zombies. Leave us weirdos alone, and go be normal.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by moonpie

Thank you
their is nothing wrong with me after all !

Yes there is. You don't know how to use their vs. there.

(Sorry I could not resist - I am usually not the language cop but given the topic and your response it was the first thing that came to my mind).

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

You are very well versed. As I read your script, I wondered who mastered you in your skill and how many years did it take you to remember it all? The first thing that came to mind in just the first 2 sentences of your long script was, ahh, I recognize that, its The Church of Scientology.

Have you come here to recruit? I have noticed alot of new advertising from the church of scientology being pushed out and alot of new churches being built here and there. Are you among the new line of recruiters and why come here of all places to ATS to recruit?

Just curious is all

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandHeretic

If that is you in your avatar/member pic, will you marry me?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I read this and a big smile came on my face!! everything i read was 100% spot on about me. thanks for posting this!!

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

This friend you mentioned, was much like my situation, I can identify with what you posted entirely.I had no interaction outside home. I was not allowed friends, my mom wouldn't let me out the door. So I used my imagination to take me places, but I never was clingy like your friend, it was always reinforced children were burdens and no matter what I would do, I was a inconvenience to someone. So locking yourself inside a sanctuary, letting imagination take flight was a great escape. As an adult I still use my imagination all the time, after so many years it becomes a huge part of you, that is actually the only good thing from any of it.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
When you realize every poster see things and feels your way , and then realize most of every one in USA then the world, then you will realize that you are truly like the sheep that we herd you all to be. You are not eccentric unique or a true individual. You are a sheep nothing more. You have the free will to think otherwise.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

You are physically lazy but mentally proactive.
Are you a hypocrite?

These are the only two things I don't identify with. Forgive me, I have not read the thread yet, just responding to the OP directly.

My physical health is as important to me as my mental and spiritual health.
I try not to be a hypocrite.
edit on Sun, 17 Jun 2012 17:55:48 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kat2684

Imagination is nice, but too much can make you neurotic as you start building your version of reality absent of any real life situations, and those children will notice their inadequacy as soon as they go into the real world. You would think if you had a good imagination, that the parents would try and foster it, but no. They are impersonal just the same, and probably wouldn't even recognize it correctly in them.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join