It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Am Eccentric

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Thanks for knowing me - I would say
I was about 90% on with the information
in your OP. I use to try to fit in when I
was younger but was never comfortable
with it. For the past 20 years or so I have
come to accept who I really am. Good
to see others here that are the same.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

I am the same way.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Interesting idea for a thread... maybe this is a social experiment of sorts.

I always assumed eccentricity was a trait that very few people shared and even fewer were aware of their eccentric personality.

Looking at that assumption and reading the replies by ATS members, it may be safe to say the OP has not described an eccentric personality or existence, but quite the opposite.

The number of individuals who were compatible with the descriptions of the OP is obviously a large majority of those who have chosen to post. That may be because only those who felt connection replied, but that's not my opinion. Based on the number of stars this thread has garnered, it appears that a substantial percentage of the ATS membership can relate to the descriptions.

The lack of post-OP interaction by the author could also point to a social experiment where they have been monitoring responses to determine input for variables of the exercise, but not absolutely so.

The fact that so many members were able to relate to the qualities described could point to ATS being a magnet for eccentric individuals or to the fact that what we believe to be eccentric is not eccentric at all, but is quite normal for a majority of the population.

Many people may internalize emotions and introspective thought in ways that closely match these descriptions, but when in a social atmosphere they appear completely normal in the eyes of others present. Our personalities provide those we know with details that allow them to create their perception of us, even though we may completely disagree with their perception - it probably works both ways when the roles are reversed.

If this is the case, then what is the true nature of eccentricity? Where can a proper personality analysis be reviewed to determine what defines a truly eccentric person and lifestyle?

It may be much different than a simple definition of the word. Looking inside ourselves, to create an understanding of who we are, may lead us to feel unique compared to all others and, because of that, we assume we are eccentric.

It could be similar to many other aspects of the human condition, in that most people with clinically diagnosed personality traits - such as bi-polar disorder, schizophrenia, delusional behavior, manic, and narcissistic as well as many others - tend to go unnoticed by the victim.

Many times these individuals have no clue anything is wrong, until they are taken to the Dr., subsequently diagnosed, and prescribed treatment. Even then many patients continue to deny the Dr.’s diagnosis, believing they are normal, then convincing themselves to stop supervised medical treatment altogether and opt for self medicating schedule that almost always fails.

Those reasons are why I think it may be very rare to have someone accurately diagnose themselves eccentric. Those who are eccentric may not understand their actions as irregular behavior, instead believing they are normal.

Maybe the real eccentrics are just the opposite of the OP’s description, not realizing their personality uniqueness and therefore unable to describe or diagnose themselves as eccentric personality.

Maybe we can get some info that would allow us to compare the traits of the OP against other possible personality types, in order to better determine what defines eccentricity.

The quickest way to do that would be to ask, will all the members who DO NOT! fit the definition of an eccentric person by the OP‘s standards, please comment and let us know in what way your emotions and thoughts differ from the OP’s description of eccentric behavior?

edit on 17-6-2012 by esteay812 because: tyops

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
There really is one born ever minute

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by satron

I have to disagree with you here. My parents were very involved in my life growing up. But I still feel the way the OP does in some respects....not all of them but some.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by satron

You nailed it for me!!!

I was very lonely, I made my own little world to occupy my mind, no love or interaction unless negative from mom or dad. Constant ignoring and negativity, drove me deep into my imagination, that led to me researching to make my imagination more accurate.

edit on 17-6-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-6-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
After reading this thread I have come to the conclusion that none of you are "eccentric".

ec·cen·tric

1. deviating from the recognized or customary character, practice, etc.; irregular; erratic; peculiar; odd: eccentric conduct; an eccentric person.

With so many of you finding comfort in the OP it is obvious that the feelings described are actually very common. Not at all "irregular", "peculiar" or "odd." I find it particularly funny that some of you even speak for the rest of the people on ATS, as if we are all the same.

I find it interesting how people feel the need to wear a label, sometimes even negative labels, in order to feel special.

My mummy has always told me I am special. That's enough for me

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

I enjoyed reading it, it was well written and I think it struck a great cord with many people, including myself.

But I am going to disagree with your thread in a way.

I think the bulk of your post has nothing to do with eccentricity and has much more to do with insecurities and narcissism.

So whilst it would be nice to feel "eccentric", the reality is that many of your points really highlite how self obsessed we can be over who we are and our place within society, whether we are adequate enough relative to others.

Let me point out what I mean.

Do you feel different? An outcast who doesn't fit in with most other people. An individual with thought patterns that are out of the ordinary. Someone who is very self-critical and places unrealistic expectations on themselves.

According to studies, there are eighteen distinctive characteristics that differentiate a healthy eccentric person from a regular person or someone who has a mental illness (although some may not always apply). The first five are in most people regarded as eccentric:[6]
Nonconforming attitude
Idealistic
Intense curiosity
Happy obsession with a hobby or hobbies
Knew very early in his or her childhood they were different from others
Highly intelligent
Opinionated and outspoken
Unusual living or eating habits
Not interested in the opinions or company of others
Mischievous sense of humor

I don't get any of that from the questions or premises you present in your thread.

When you are asked to define who you are or what you believe, you struggleto find the words. What is your passion? What is your drive? You are not sure of your ambitions or your purpose for being here. When asked if you could do any occupation and get paid the same no matter what you choose, you struggle to define what it is that makes you happy and complete. You do not know, nor do you claim to know. This makes you appear indecisive to the average person and contributes to your feelings of alienation.

This has nothing to do with eccentricity, and everything to do with insecurity.

[3] Edith Sitwell (b 1887) wrote that eccentricity is "often a kind of innocent pride", also saying that geniuses and aristocrats are called eccentrics because "they are entirely unafraid of and uninfluenced by the opinions and vagaries of the crowd".[4] **

Lets be honest, the world we live in breeds insecurity, we are constantly bombarded with the "ideals" and "perfections" that we are meant to be. When so much of our world is centred on "us" the consequences are that we will always be focused on ourselves.

Thats what I get from your thread.

We are sold the dream that we can do or be anyone or anything we want. When the reality is we ALL can't be.

We have so much choice, we no longer know what we want or need.

So much of our life is about how others percieve us( your thread is an example) or how we seem. Many of us now go to much effort maintaining a "virtual" self online that does not corespond to the real life we live. I dare say we do it on ATS too.

I think the thread is great, it is always nice to reflect on how we feel and to see that others are very similar if not exactly the same.

Sugar coating insecurities with "eccentricity" is not something I am going to do though, because I think the only outcome can be that those insecurities remain if not grow.

A person may trick themselves into thinking they are some how gifted or special(eccentric) when in fact they are simply a normal person unsure about certain aspects of life and the world. Like we all are in some way shape or form, because we are human and mostly the same.

Your thread and the responses show that in spades.

Great thread S and F.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
That was absolutely mind blowing. I seriously have felt so alone all these years. I thought people thought like me cuz of ats , but never to this extent. Did you read this somewhere, or is this your words? And whats the outcome of this. I feel those ways, is it a disorder do you think?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mnemicrsl
I feel those ways, is it a disorder do you think?

It is not a disorder. Although there are some would like you to believe that it is.

It is called being human.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
You know, I never imagined this thread would develop into 5 pages worth of replies, I was expecting something like 3-4 replies of people who could relate to the words of the OP. It is comforting that there are so many nice supportive people out there.

To those that have responded with positive words and those who can relate to the words expressed in the OP: thank you for taking the time to read the full OP and respond so kindly. Your words of support and encouragement mean a lot and I am glad that I am not alone with these feelings. Do not look down upon yourself for being different, rather see yourself as a unique and interesting individual who has a lot to offer the world. As long as your thought patterns do not involve harming yourself or others, embrace them and allow your personality to flourish.

To those with negative responses or those questioning my motives for creating this thread: I suppose I should expect such responses considering the forum I have posted this on. To be clear: I have no intention of recruiting or indoctrinating others how to think. I simply put forth some feelings I have been harbouring for a while and decided to put them out there with the hope that others could relate to them.

To those suggesting I am not really eccentric but maybe something else: I respect your opinions but disagree. I could give some examples of behaviours and thought patterns that are particular but most of them are personal and I would prefer to keep them that way. I have been told by more than a handful of people throughout my life that my thoughts and views on issues and other people are "strange" and "peculiar". Most other people do not tend to interpret things in the way that I do. It's hard to explain.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
AtlasAstro, I got insecurity from the OP too. and I am insecure myself in a lot of ways, so I related.

second line because that was all I wanted to say

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   

have you been spying on me?
i honestly cant believe not how closely you described me but how damn right spot on you described me
im going back to read thru the thread now and see how many others you described
im shocked, i realy am
great thread

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I completely agree, Dark Ghost. I don't even fit in in my own family. I'm so different from almost everyone in my family. I've always kind of walked my own path, also. For instance, I'm a person of faith. I believe strongly in the "Bible," but organized Christianity never sat well with me. I later came to realize that what Christianity teaches is not what Scripture teaches. So even in faith I'm eccentric and do my own thing.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
I could give some examples of behaviours and thought patterns that are particular but most of them are personal and I would prefer to keep them that way.

But that's the point, if you were to share them you would realise that they aren't so personal afterall. What you have already shared has proven this.

I have been told by more than a handful of people throughout my life that my thoughts and views on issues and other people are "strange" and "peculiar". Most other people do not tend to interpret things in the way that I do. It's hard to explain.

And how would you know this? How do you know how other people think?

Being eccentric is regularly blowing a horn to invite poor people to your home for free food – which you serve out of a coffin.Or throwing dinner parties for dogs dressed as humans.

Thinking things like; "Why is it called a "building" when it is already built?
" doesn't quite cut it.
edit on 17/6/2012 by LiveForever8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

I have been looking for a way to express almost these exact same thoughts for the past week or so.

Thank you, this is a damn close representation of EXACTLY what goes on in my life. I am so glad to have it written down now, thank you again.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by lifecitizen

Who isn't. We are all in some way, shape or form. It is human nature. Self doubt, fear, uncertainty are what make life interesting and challenging. Especially when we overcome those feelings to succeed in our day to day lives, or our relationships, occupations, studies, hobbies etc. etc.

To call it eccentricity is merely self deception. The only way to overcome fear( insecurity) is to admit that it is what it is.

And you know what? That is hard to do. If it wasn't life would be peachy and we would all be on here talking about how awesome we all are!!

Thanks for your reply to my post.
edit on 17/6/12 by atlasastro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   

What are you doing ? Looking for Manchurian candidates? Oswald, Ruby, Hinkley, et all. They thought they were smarter than everybody else too. Ever see Parallax View?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by angellicview
I am with you on a lot of (but not all) those things.

I am certainly NOT a typical woman.

I don't like shopping, chatting incessantly, or swapping recipes.

I do like nature, nature, and nature. In addition to nature, I like Extra-Terrestrials, Extra-Dimensionals, Space exploration, animals, Angels, and all things "LOVE"

What is wrong with me?

Nothing. Because then there would be something wrong with me.

I think society has set a standard that most women feel they need to meet. We are raised with Barbies, pink frilly dresses, and flower laden bows usually before we are even old enough to roll over.

My mom said that I tried to throw away every doll I ever got. I can believe it. I am into nature, intelligent discussions, time travel, sciences, etc and find myself really despising the "helpless" act some women think will land them a man. My husband would run the other way. I can work on cars. I mow the yard. I like being self sufficient. That is not supposed to be status quo for us females.

Even in today's new "PC" age... we are still generally expected to be helpless and to need men to change our tires and trim our hedges (don't go there
).

That's just my thought on it though and I have rambled too long already.
There is nothing wrong with you.

edit on 6/17/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Do you feel different? An outcast who doesn't fit in with most other people.

Sounds like someone who isn't socially adpated, and got rejected by others because of his weirdness.

An individual with thought patterns that are out of the ordinary.

Psychotic?

Someone who is very self-critical and places unrealistic expectations on themselves.

Arrogance?

A person with too much time on their hands in this physical world, but not enough time to explore the metaphysical aspects of existence. You are physically lazy but mentally proactive.

Is this somekind of positive methaphor for someone who is jobless and unmotivated?

While others concentrate on what they can see, you focus on what you can not.

Psychotic?

You feel in awe of others that you admire, but you dismiss these feelings when they are directed at yourself.

Depression?

Your priorities are not the same as "normal" people; you are not fussed over the same things as they are. You are full of wonder when you think about the universe and other people, but feel empty and anxious when you look at yourself.

Depression, arrogance and psychosis.

Others tell you that you are smart, but you feel silly.

You wish others would call you smart, and if they do, you feel silly when that happens because deep inside you know it is not true.

It's the tasks that most people find easy that you tend to struggle with. You ask yourself why you find tasks that are automated for most others so difficult.

Because most of the folks here are to negative in their thinking to do something good, somekind of "self fulfilling prophecy".

You feel as though life is just one challenge after another.

Life is a struggle for everybody, don't think that you are the only one with "problems".

You don't congratulate yourself enough when you do overcome a hurdle. But you take joy in telling others when they do. You love to make other people happy and give them advice when they are in need, yet you don't heed the wisdom you expel. Are you a hypocrite? Perhaps that is one of the many flaws you see in yourself.

I think that other people don't need the advice of an jobless, unwilling, depressed and unmotiviated person who thinks he/she knows it all.

You view the world through an external perspective. While you are confident you are in touch with reality, you feel separated from it.

Nice, here is the psychotic aspect again.

When you are asked to define who you are or what you believe, you struggle to find the words. What is your passion? What is your drive? You are not sure of your ambitions or your purpose for being here.

Nice, here is the "unmotivated" part again.

When asked if you could do any occupation and get paid the same no matter what you choose, you struggle to define what it is that makes you happy and complete. You do not know, nor do you claim to know. This makes you appear indecisive to the average person and contributes to your feelings of alienation.

And the "depression" part.

Other people ask you where you see yourself in 10 years, you worry about where you see yourself in 10 days. You are not the same person you were yesterday. You don't just worry about the future, you focus on the past and are apprehensive about the present. Your life is a plethora of examination, analysis and interpretation. You feel like you don't belong, yet you long to be. If only conversations in your head counted as social interaction with others, you would be the social butterfly that society expects of you.

Bladieblablabla,I advice anyone who feels connected to, or recognize himself in this kind of description of the personalia, to get professional help and with that, I do not mean help from somekind of internet loonie...

Have a nice day.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join