It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Miracle of the Sun: the largest UFO event in recorded history

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
The Miracle of the Sun was an event that occurred on October 13, 1917 near Fatima, Portugal. It was witnessed by 30,000 to 100,000 people, who had gathered there because three children had predicted that the Virgin Mary would appear there at noon in the sky.

But the Virgin Mary did not appear on that day, instead something else happened.

en.wikipedia.org...

According to many witnesses, after a period of rain, the dark clouds broke and the sun appeared as an opaque, spinning disc in the sky. It was said to be significantly duller than normal, and to cast multicolored lights across the landscape, the shadows on the landscape, the people, and the surrounding clouds. The sun was then reported to have careened towards the earth in a zigzag pattern, frightening those who thought it a sign of the end of the world. Witnesses reported that their previously wet clothes became "suddenly and completely dry, as well as the wet and muddy ground that had been previously soaked because of the rain that had been falling"

1917 was 40 years before the Roswell incident in 1947. It was long before UFOs had entered the popular consciousness. The lack of knowledge about the subject of UFOs during the time, combined with the religious fervor of the people who had gathered there expecting a Marian apparition, turned this obvious UFO sighting into a "Miracle of the Sun" in people's minds. They interpreted it the only way you'd expect people in 1917 to interpret it.

If we think rationally, the Sun can't move around in the sky. The Sun is a sphere, not an opaque spinning disc. Other features such as the multicolored lights emanating from the object, are also common features of
reported UFOs.

"Before the astonished eyes of the crowd, whose aspect was biblical as they stood bare-headed, eagerly searching the sky, the sun trembled, made sudden incredible movements outside all cosmic laws — the sun 'danced' according to the typical expression of the people." ― Avelino de Almeida

"The sun, at one moment surrounded with scarlet flame, at another aureoled in yellow and deep purple, seemed to be in an exceedingly swift and whirling movement, at times appearing to be loosened from the sky and to be approaching the earth, strongly radiating heat." ― Dr. Domingos Pinto Coelho

"...The silver sun, enveloped in the same gauzy grey light, was seen to whirl and turn in the circle of broken clouds... The light turned a beautiful blue, as if it had come through the stained-glass windows of a cathedral, and spread itself over the people who knelt with outstretched hands... people wept and prayed with uncovered heads, in the presence of a miracle they had awaited. The seconds seemed like hours, so vivid were they." ― Reporter for the Lisbon newspaper O Dia.

"The sun's disc did not remain immobile. This was not the sparkling of a heavenly body, for it spun round on itself in a mad whirl, when suddenly a clamor was heard from all the people. The sun, whirling, seemed to loosen itself from the firmament and advance threateningly upon the earth as if to crush us with its huge fiery weight. The sensation during those moments was terrible." — Dr. Almeida Garrett, Professor of Natural Sciences at Coimbra University.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
IDK about the whole ufo thing, i never heard that before in association with the story. But, somethin obviously happened

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
"multi-colored lights" could of been a rainbow effect after the rain went and the sun come out. as for the rest especially the "zig zagging" its really bizarre, any other people from around the world record or document this said phenomena?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
You aint cool unless you pee your pants

edit on 16-6-2012 by furling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
1917-
_______

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I read about this over thirty years ago and believe it's more credible than the original story.
From a kid, I believed the story of the three children and the Virgin Mary.
Then one day I found a book on the 'Dancing Sun ' which made me think.

I think it makes more sense that it probably was a UFO.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Why did they not take a picture of it?

On the wiki page you can see that the photographer took pictures of people looking at it, surely it would be more interesting as a journalist to take photos of the event itself?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

Why did they not take a picture of it?

They did .
Was the Fatima Miracle a Mass UFO Sighting

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mercurio

1917 was 40 years before the Roswell incident in 1947.

You sure about that?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
There are many eyewitness accounts herewww.ewtn.com...
some are conflicting ,
During World War I Pope Benedict XV made repeated but forlorn pleas for peace, and finally, in May 1917, made a direct appeal to Mary to intercede for peace in the world. [Motive??]

There were earlier sightings that year by the three children with the first in May

On 13 May 1917 the three children took their flocks out to pasture on the small area known as the Cova da Iria. After lunch and the rosary they suddenly saw a bright flash of something like lightning, followed quickly by another flash in the clear blue sky.

and again 13 June 1917

About fifty people turned up at the Cova da Iria on June 13, as the three children assembled near the holmoak tree where the Lady had appeared. The children then saw a flash of light followed immediately by the apparition of Mary, as she spoke to Lucia: "I want you to come on the 13th of next month, to pray the Rosary every day, and to learn to read. Later, I will tell you what I want."

and again in August and then septemberwww.theotokos.org.uk...

edit on 16-6-2012 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Mercurio

I don't think people who are faithful can be bias, I think they see what they want to see because they believe in it so strongly

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by MoeFugga
reply to post by Mercurio

I don't think people who are faithful can be bias, I think they see what they want to see because they believe in it so strongly

And of course that is absolutely nothing like UFO/ET believers who will see a bird or plastic bag in a badly distorted video on youtube and claim it as absolute proof of a visitation is it?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I know I made a mistake, lol, I know that 1917 is 30 years before. that's what I meant.
edit on 16-6-2012 by Mercurio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
There is NO known authentic photograph of the Fatima Miracle of the Sun. The misidentified photo circulating arose from a case of mistaken identity or wishful thinking.

The Phony Picture: LIFE - Dec 3, 1951 - Page 39

Youngstown Vindicator - Mar 10, 1952
Shrine of Fatima Denies Photo Of Miracle Sun Was Authentic

The Correction: LIFE - May 12, 1952 - Page 20 (Admits the error in the letter column.)

As for why a photo of the sun was not taken, I've read that there was nothing unusual except the behavior of the crowd, and that's what was documented. The original interest was in the vision of Mary, and it was several years later before there was much discussion of the Sun.

Still, whatever happened it is a pretty amazing event just for the fact that so many people gathered and shared some kind of supernatural experience, even if it was only some kind of a shared delusion.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Well, I have seen the photograph, and I don't think it is real either. But I also do not think that tens of thousands of people (or even 100,000) would share the same "delusion" unless they ALL somehow had taken magic mushrooms that day. The eyewitness reports closely match descriptions of UFOs. Ever since I read about the Miracle of the Sun it was immediately clear what I was reading about. This was a UFO.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by something wicked
And of course that is absolutely nothing like UFO/ET believers who will see a bird or plastic bag in a badly distorted video on youtube and claim it as absolute proof of a visitation is it?

Always gotta throw something like that in to the conversation, like the subject of Ufology is just so ludicrous that only idiots would believe it....idiots that don't know the difference between a bag and a curious looking light flying around the sky.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by MisterFister103

Originally posted by something wicked

Always gotta throw something like that in to the conversation, like the subject of Ufology is just so ludicrous that only idiots would believe it....idiots that don't know the difference between a bag and a curious looking light flying around the sky.

That is why this is so important, this was before YouTube...so it's not really relevant to discuss photographic/video hoaxes, what this has , has more than those videos or photos, thousands of witnesses, describing what people decades later would consider a description of a flying saucer.

Thousands of people witnessing the same UFO. Brought there by a date predicted by three children who were visited by what probably was an alien being posing as the Virgin Mary (a relatable human figure, so as not to frighten them with their alien appearance).

Maybe they wanted to see how we would react if a huge mass of people all gathered and witnessed a UFO. That could have been their motive. I think extraterrestrials have wanted to wait until we are ready to truly reveal themselves in a big way. Maybe we are not developed enough technologically, or socially.

There is no event like the Miracle of the Sun in recent times. It's the only UFO event of its kind aside from the Nuremberg UFO sightings in 1561. But the population of Nuremberg at that time was less than the reported number of witnesses in Fatima, so what happened at Fatima is the largest UFO event in recorded history.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mercurio
But I also do not think that tens of thousands of people (or even 100,000) would share the same "delusion" unless they ALL somehow had taken magic mushrooms that day.

They did not all see the same thing. Some people saw nothing, some saw rose petals fall from the sky. Others saw faces or figures in the sky, but the most widely discussed vision was the "dance of the sun", which itself has several contradictory versions.

One thing we have to consider is peer pressure. This gigantic crowd was assembled for the sole purpose of witnessing a religious miracle. After a few hours, they were directed by Lucia to look at the sun. The vision of the Virgin Mary could only be seen by the three children (and strangely, the boy was unable to hear her words). The vision of the sun was supposed to be seen by everyone, but perhaps if you could not see it, it was because you had not let God into your heart. Not many in that crowd would want to say that god was a no-show to such an assembly.

The event was not initially a worldwide sensation. It didn't receive too much attention until many years later when the Vatican got on board and accepted the package as a miracle, and in any case, they were more interested in what Mary was doing than the sky phenomenon. The ball really got rolling in the 40's when the English language books came out, developing the mythology of the events.

The miracle is diminished by the fact that it has been repeated at other times and places. The only thing that Fatima can cling to as unique is that their miracle appeared more or less on cue as foretold.
edit on 19-6-2012 by CardDown because: spelling

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

The Miracle of the Sun: the largest UFO event in recorded history

It wasn't a UFO.
The same thing happens in Medjugorje Yugoslavia.
I was there back in the late 1980s.
I saw the miracle of the sun.
It definately wasn't a UFO.
We saw a lot of supernatural things.
You wouldn't believe what the clouds did!
Anyways .. definately NOT a UFO.

edit on 6/19/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
The same thing happens in Medjugorje Yugoslavia.

Again, only children could see and hear the Virgin, right?
Was this solar event seen by everyone or just believers?

top topics

join