It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Applying for Civil Service Jobs & Unemployment Benefits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I'm currently searching for work and must say that the process of trying to get a state or federal job is growing increasingly more difficult. Not only is the paperwork lengthy, but even the online application process is complicated. Each federal agency and each position has their own requirements and quirks. I'm a legal assistant yet even for me it is tough trying to be sure not to leave any information out, etc. And the jobs get posted on the federal and state websites, and a few days later, poof! They're gone! So you gotta hurry and apply as soon as you become aware of them.

On top of this, I'm in the process of having appealed an unemployment decision for a second time at the next higher level, and had to submit a legal brief! What if I were someone without legal skills--what chance would they have of winning?

These government processes and procedures appear to be designed so that they encourage people trying to get jobs or trying to get unemployment benefits to just give up. I'm sure many people get flustered and confused, because I sure have.

Even the so called simple process of applying online by using just a resume isn't so simple.

And another thing I'm ticked off about. In a job interview recently, the interviewer told me that when he called one of my former employers to check out my references, the employer told him I had tattoos! Sure, I signed a release for him to ask questions, but what nerve to try and foil my attempts to obtain employment to support my family! And what do tattoos have to do with my abilities anyway? Luckily the interviewer laughed it off, and indicated I'll have a job (as soon as my hand surgeon releases me, hopefully this Friday). So I removed that employer from my resume.

Ahh. thanks. I needed to vent.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 02:46 AM
link   
That former employer of yours makes ME angry.

They should have a policy in HR to NEVER comment good or bad.

Just verify employment dates, title, repsonsibilites, salary and answer ONE question.

Is this person eligible for rehire?

That's it.

Physical comments like tatoos aren't really justified at all. That's like saying he or she is fat or too skinny or ugly or has distracting boobs.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   
In college, back in the 80's, way before George Costanza, A good friend in college ran a "reference service" . . .

O yeah, we loved him. He was great . . . no, no. We had to let him go because we couldn't keep him in work. . . . Yes . . . .O yes, definitely. He was such a help around the office/plant/psych ward. He was always fixing things, polishing things. We are scared that eventually, the photocopier/mixmaster 3000 will one day break down, and no one around here can fix it but him. . . .

Say, is he looking for work? He's always got a spot here!

(Psst! dude! You owe me another fifty bucks!)

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Geting a job is a real bitch. I went for one right after i finished school so i could take a break from studying and let my brain relax...

One place took over 2 months to get back to me from the interview. I already had another job, and they abused me over the phone for wasting their time... i could've died of starvation in the two months it took to get back to me...

And another place wanted me to half a 3 month probation on no wages, if i passed they'd pay me then... once again, i could've starved to death in three months.

I think having a tattoo shouldnt affect anything if they arent visible whn your in your work attire...

Hell i got piercings on my face and i hold an office job and constantly meet with higher management to discuss projects and propose intitiatives and they dont care i look like some punk kid from the suburbs dressed in business attire (which pretty much i am, but i do the job well and thats what they care about in the end)

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
thanks for the empathy!

having a reference service! what a great idea!

hey i did land a job this week-- as a medical transcriptionist
in a laboratory typing gross anatomical reports. Verrrry
interesting--get to see specimens right up close and watch
the techs examine and sometimes dissect them!

top topics

join