It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Franks Casket :Beautiful and Fascinating

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
This has never been posted on ATS and i found this casket to be beautiful and fascinating with a amazing story to go with it..

Franks Casket is made of whale bone,the casket was owned by a middle class family in Auzon France..
The casket served as a lady's sewing box until a son of the family decided to trade in the silver for a silver ring..

Without the fittings the casket fell apart..about 1850 this casket was shown to a professor who gave them to a antique shop in Paris about in 1857..Then they were found by a archaeologist he then realize the Anglo-Saxon origin of the carvings..

One of the panels was missing and was found later in a family's drawer in Auzon..from there into the collection of the Bargello Museum in Florence.

Only the middle segment with its carvings has survived , it may have had a silver mounting on top as a handle..I have to wonder what the carver of this casket was thinking and the magic power the carver had meant to supply with this beautiful casket..

Below is a short video that tells all about this fascinating casket enjoy..peace,sugarcookie1

In Focus: Franks Casket

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Very nice to see Sugarcookie !

I am amazed at art,like this. I also wonder all the things that have been put into it,even for a short time.

S&F

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Very nice to see Sugarcookie !

I am amazed at art,like this. I also wonder all the things that have been put into it,even for a short time.

S&F

sonnny1
Thanks for posting..I saw this box and thought it was simply beautiful and the time put into it the carvings also tell a story..I wonder what was put in this box back when it was first made this casket made my mind wander over what the carver was thinking when he made it..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Thanks for posting this.

In the space of ten minutes, I've learned about Wayland the Smith , whale-bone caskets and a couple of Norse myths I didn't know about. I've long been a big fan of scrimshaw , but this level of art is very cool.

It looks like the best piece of its kind; other caskets aren't nearly as rich in design as this one. Even better, it's possibly from Northern England where I'm from. Bit of local pride!

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky

Thanks for posting this.

In the space of ten minutes, I've learned about Wayland the Smith , whale-bone caskets and a couple of Norse myths I didn't know about. I've long been a big fan of scrimshaw , but this level of art is very cool.

It looks like the best piece of its kind; other caskets aren't nearly as rich in design as this one. Even better, it's possibly from Northern England where I'm from. Bit of local pride!

Kandinsky
Thats what i love about Franks Casket its got a little bit about allot of things going on with it thats what made it interesting for me as a artifact and I'm glad you enjoyed it and learned something new i sure did..Thank you so much for posting..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I'm going to bump this thread i hate to see it disappear its such a interesting subject..sugarcookie1

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Incredible, such a shame that it was not kept up from the sewing-box era!

The last missing panel is fascinating, i cannot fathom what kind of creature that is on the far left hand side. It has two legs obviously, it is sitting on a mound that looks similar to the dissected "hive" towards the right (with a queen bee of sorts).

I must say that thing on the far left is like a dragon-headed Locust of the Bible, the one with the "tail and sting like a Scorpion".

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage
Incredible, such a shame that it was not kept up from the sewing-box era!

The last missing panel is fascinating, i cannot fathom what kind of creature that is on the far left hand side. It has two legs obviously, it is sitting on a mound that looks similar to the dissected "hive" towards the right (with a queen bee of sorts).

I must say that thing on the far left is like a dragon-headed Locust of the Bible, the one with the "tail and sting like a Scorpion".

Greensage
Franks casket has it all..she wolf suckling the twins Romulus and Remus ..

Then blending between Roman history, Roman legend, Germanic sagas and Christian myth...

Adoration of the Magi with the Revenge of Weland ..

Franks casket offers insights into the allusive and eclectic taste of an Anglo-Saxon audience.

Thats just a small part of whats on this box it tells a story..some of the panels are designed to guide a hero's life from birth to death and thereafter..

Franks Casket has intrigued and puzzled viewers since its rediscovery in the nineteenth century.. this extraordinary icon of Anglo-Saxon culture, describing and explaining the significance of the stories depicted in its magnificent carvings.All i can say is its a strange but beautiful casket..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Yes, that is what I am talking about, the video even says near the end regarding that last panel "any guesses?" as if they were hoping someone could tell them.

They certainly emphasized that the last panel was not interpreted, I did note they failed to include the enscription translation for the last panel. At least that is what I remembered in my head from last night.

Any thoughts on that "creature", does it look odd to you? Two feet on the ground and possibly holding onto the branch being offered to the knight. So odd for the ability of the artist, it must be mythical, or Spiritual. Romulus and Remus are the beginning of the story, perhaps the last panel is the ending! Maybe it is Satan, and the other side (right side) is Christ and the two Witnesses.

It is certainly after the Crusades and the Temple of Solomon was discovered and its secrets distributed by way of the Templars.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage

Yes, that is what I am talking about, the video even says near the end regarding that last panel "any guesses?" as if they were hoping someone could tell them.

They certainly emphasized that the last panel was not interpreted, I did note they failed to include the enscription translation for the last panel. At least that is what I remembered in my head from last night.

Any thoughts on that "creature", does it look odd to you? Two feet on the ground and possibly holding onto the branch being offered to the knight. So odd for the ability of the artist, it must be mythical, or Spiritual. Romulus and Remus are the beginning of the story, perhaps the last panel is the ending! Maybe it is Satan, and the other side (right side) is Christ and the two Witnesses.

It is certainly after the Crusades and the Temple of Solomon was discovered and its secrets distributed by way of the Templars.

Greensage
I have no idea what the "creature" is and Ive looked at it several times and yes its very odd..From what i understand is they have no idea what the last panel means maybe your right its about Satan maybe someone will come along and have a idea of what they think it is its all very magical to me..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Not sure which one you are referring to do you have an image of it?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Hanslune
I believe its the image on the last panel that Greensage is talking about the image is on the video i hope were talking about the same one..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Got it this time thanks

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

I was wondering why there is two wolves shown with Romulus and Remus? Who is the seated figure - Titus, Jesus?
And what might have been in the box - treasure, a relic, a document? This box is a real mystery..sugarcookie1

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
What an extraordinary piece of artistry.
A great ammount of history in such a small space.
To produce a carving that intricate is truly amazing.
I wonder if anything is known about the individual
who created this masterpiece?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by 43LEO729
What an extraordinary piece of artistry.
A great ammount of history in such a small space.
To produce a carving that intricate is truly amazing.
I wonder if anything is known about the individual
who created this masterpiece?

Hi Leo
All they know is it was produced by Viking craftsmen in Northumbria at the end of the 7th cent. A.D ..They don't know allot about this casket..

Franks Casket was probably intended for use in a royal context..Every time i look at the pictures i find something new it is indeed a fine work of art..Thanks for posting,sugarcookie1

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1

Hanslune
I believe its the image on the last panel that Greensage is talking about the image is on the video i hope were talking about the same one..peace,sugarcookie1

Sorry way outside my areas of expertise, interesting piece thou!

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1

Hanslune

Hanslune
Thanks for stopping in i always enjoy it when you come to my threads
peace,sugarcookie1

Sorry way outside my areas of expertise, interesting piece thou!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I have long been interested in Runes and their use and meanings. That box is covered with them. Interesting thread Sugar, great find.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

Iamschist
Im glad you enjoyed it! peace,sugarcookie1

new topics

top topics

join