It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US military blamed for polluted water at base

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

A spokesman for the corps denied the allegations in an email to Al Jazeera. Even so, environmental officials have reported that the military allegedly owns 129 of the most-contaminated sites, indicating that it may be one of the largest polluters in the US.

More than 130,000 former residents of Camp Lejeune, a military base for marines in North Carolina, have registered complaints that blame the military for exposing them to contaminated water. Some of those allegedly affected by the contamination have accused the US Marine Corps of covering up the problem and failing to inform residents of the health risk.

I don't think it will be too long before we hear about other bases with contaminated water. There were always issues with the water supply when I was at 29 Palms. We had on-site waste water treatment and the facility was...sub par.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Otis Air Force base on Cape Cod caused a lot of groundwater pollution. This goes back many years- to the 1970s anyway, probably before. The nearby ponds were (and no doubt still are) very toxic. People who swam in them got sores and rashes and the cancer rate is suspiciously high for people who were exposed. Problems with the fish too.I know quite a few people who can attest to all that, although I always swam in the ocean and so didn't have any experiences myself. There were scientists who were tracking the expanse of the pollution plume and there were some very vocal environmental activists involved too. Not much was ever actually really done about it, although I believe the base was supposed to stop making it worse.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I lived at Lejeune for 3 years. At that time upon moving into base housing you were required to sign a release indemnifying the military due to the "possibility of lead based paint, asbestos...." in the housing units. This was prior to older housing being torn down & the newer units being constructed. For the most part the treatment of military dependents is horrible, especially the enlisted but the enlisted housing was the first to be demolished & rebuilt, now it's better than what most of us currently live in.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
When I was at Camp Swampy the water tasted nasty and was clearly contaminated. I have filled out and returned a survey that I was sent. From my understanding the aquifer was contaminated by chemicals used to clean equipment and machinery.....

We were in the old H-style barracks on K street in 78-81, 1st Btn 6th Marines.....

now, that was an education...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
just about every military base in the US is contaminated with trichloroethene

en.wikipedia.org...

it was the most common solvent used by the military and many blue water navy veterans(Vietnam) used pure TCE on ships where the fumes were spread through out the ships by the ventilation systems. They also use it to clean there bodies at the end of the day if water was rationed as it was on many ships. We were told TCE was safe

top topics

join