posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:54 PM
reply to post by Advantage
Your dog eats bees because you never told him not to.
There are several theories as to why dogs do this, (my shepherd loves to catch flies) one is the territorial aspect. Anything that moves in their
territory gets barked at/eaten.
Another is the sound their wings make while flapping. Nature's "dog whistle", so they catch them, instinct.
There's another about the bugs having extra protein in them, and they are tasty. Go figure.
Honestly, I wouldn't worry. As long as Blue isn't having an allergic reaction, they are harmless to him. It takes the venom from over 1000 stings
to be fatal. There are a few dogs that swell up, but a dose of benedryl helps. There's no record of a dog every going into anaphylactic shock like
humans do, but a few cases of being stung in their throat and their airway swells closed.