It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US official: Russia sends troops to Syria as peace hopes fade

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Russia is sending armed troops to Syria amid escalating violence there, United States military officials told NBC News Friday, in a move certain to frustrate Western efforts to put pressure on the regime of President Bashir Assad.

Moscow has sent a ship carrying a small contingent of combat forces to guard Russia’s deep-water port and military base at the Syrian city of Tartus, the US officials said.

Russia Sends Troops To Syria

I know this is just Russia "defending it's port" but if the West decides to intervene, this could get really ugly.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Yeah anything could happen in the next, 24 hours. Do we still have Thunderball XL5 to call on if we need them?

I think its critical, that Russia move some military in there to firm up the strategic alliance. No time like the present.

Since they have built the SCO, with help from the international Community, this helps to provide that port as you say and right now Syria is in dire need of a very expensive dry dock. Who better to pay for a brand new dry dock, than the SCO?

Syria has 400 ships that need maintenance right now and shipping is one way they make a bit of money.

edit on 15-6-2012 by Rocketman7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

A Russian ship carrying small arms and ammunition and possibly a small contingent of troops is on its way out of the Black Sea and into the Mediterranean bound for Syria, CBS News correspondent David Martin reports. U.S. intelligence believes the weapons are intended to re-supply or beef up the defenses at Russia's naval base in Syria.

The move, while not necessarily an indication of new military support for the regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad, comes amid increasingly tense U.S.-Russia relations regarding the Syria crisis.

Russian military ship en route to Syria

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Its funny that Chess was invented in the middle east supposedly. Is it not just a large Chess board these days that the world powers are positioning around?

Nuclear weapons have actually kept us from going at each other's throats since WWII. I think the consensus now is to hell with it, Lets Watch The World Burn!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
You already made a thread about that .. what is the difference ?

Russia Sending Air and Sea Defenses to Syria, Exporter Says

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

The first one was Russia sending defensive weapons to the Syrian army. The second was Russia sending Russian Troops to Syria to protect a naval port.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Pretty sure that troops count as defensive weapons.

Also pretty sure Russia is the good guy here.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
This stuff is better than any movie that has been released lately.

It's a little bit action a little bit drama and a whole lot of suspense.
I just hope it doesn't turn into some cheap horror flick or one of those end of the world deals.

On a serious note I agree this is really going to complicate things for the U.S.

Can you imagine what would happen if we took out a few Russians even if it was accidental.

edit on 15-6-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
If they want to defend against cruise missiles, attack helicopters, HARMs, smart weapons, JASSMs, LGBs etc...they need to have the Tor-M2e System in their inventory and KNOW HOW to use it! Otherwise they are dead. A formation of 4-5 tors in stealth mode can shoot down any helicopter attack or any smart weapon attack.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout
This stuff is better than any movie that has been released lately.

It's a little bit action a little bit drama and a whole lot of suspense.
I just hope it doesn't turn into some cheap horror flick or one of those end of the world deals.

On a serious note I agree this is really going to complicate things for the U.S.

Can you imagine what would happen if we took out a few Russians even if it was accidental.

edit on 15-6-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

Or... what happens when an Israeli air strike accidentally kills some Russians?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I thought this was pretty funny...

Thursday when the State Department acknowledged the helicopters she accused Moscow of sending were actually refurbished ones already owned by the Assad regime.

Afghanistan was looking for helicopters for their military, America agreed to buy 10 Russian helicopters for them.

Which is nice of them. What Syria wanted however was tons and tons of barley.
I have no idea why, but maybe Afghanistan grows barley? Hilary was probably thinking that if Russia was shipping helicopters to Syria, maybe they could trade them to Afghanistan for some barley.

Maybe some day when we get this area fixed that could happen.

So Russia is sending a ship to Syria, that is a promising move. One thing we want to ensure is that Russia or China can get to Syria any time they want to keep shipping lanes open and to facilitate trade in a free market system.

You see people in the middle east are not completely poor although they are approaching that, like 3,000 GDP per capita for Syria 4,800 for Iraq, Egypt, 3,000 so we need to ensure they can get cheap goods from India and Asia, through Afghanistan and also through the Mediterranean.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
This is depressing, I just read the thread about Voyager reaching the edge of our solar system, got in a happy mood. And now this again, pointless wars and useless destruction. When will this all end?
edit on 15-6-2012 by Jauk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
Russia Sending Air and Sea Defenses to Syria, Exporter Says

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

top topics

join