It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was the meaning of the movie PROMETHEUS?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

Prior to falling in the water, he had opened some type of cup containing a dark liquid. He drank it, then he had a type of seizure, and then he started to break apart--falling into the water.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

Okay, IMO if you look at the start of the movie where the engineer drinks the black liquid, he disintegrates at a molecular level, notice the dna strands breaking apart(to leave no trace of their genetic code) but when he falls into the water one strand remains intact and drifts away. I think Ridley Scott was suggesting this was the start of evolution (that single strand of DNA mixing with the first living organisms on our planet to kickstart evolution) later in the movie the scientist says the alien dna matches the dna pattern of everything on earth, ie. All living things. This could mean that we were created by accident and not intentionally, hence the engineer ripping Davids head off, humans are not supposed to exist. Thats just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
This is a trilogy. Of course it will leave many plot holes, and I agree with the person stating that it is better leaving people wondering, than spoon feeding us the answers. Visually, one of the most stimulating film experiences I have ever seen. Sure the plot was not original, but in my opinion it had a very unique spin on a not so unique story line. I can't wait to see this movie again, and dissect on anything I missed in the first round and highly look forward to the answers coming in part 2 and 3

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
It's been since "Contact" since we had a serious movie about the Alien topic.
So, again, kudos to Ridley for making a good movie.

To earlier posts. I don't think that the Engineers were out to destroy us because we were a mistake. Wouldn't make sense. They have apparently been with us for millenia.

At the end, it seemed they were on course to earth. But, only because David locked in the coordinates. The Alien could very well have been going home. If the clairvoyant Captain was right, and these Engineers were Top Secret Military Folk, then they likely wouldn't take too kind to us making out their position and top secret black ops mass destruction toys.

Again though. There are a few massive blunders. It doesn't make sense that the Engineers would all of a sudden decide to wipe out the human race. It doesn't make sense that we were given coordinates to this place, but all that is there is a Weapons of Mass Destruction Laboratory. It doesn't make sense that the Last Engineer was in CryoSleep. Why was he asleep? Was he just taking a 2,000 year nap?
The holes in this story require a massive under story that was not only untold, but had zero hints as to WTF was going on.

Also. Still don't understand why the Engineer at the beginning of the film had to sacrifice himself. Couldn't this have been done in a myriad of other ways? Unless they are an inherently evil civilization? And if so, wouldn't this have been something the ancients would warn us about?

Too many holes for sure. But, I'm glad to see semi-intelligent movies about Alien civilizations.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

I hate it when people can't just hold their tongue and move on and do this to people's threads.
How does this thread impact you negatively in any way? It's not like it disallows another thread to be created, there's no daily thread limit you know. Just ignore it and soon enough it will likely drop off of the recent posts, now that you have commented on it you actually added it to your myats pages you've posted in.

As for the movie. I liked it ok, but as a huge fan of Alien and just Scott's work in general I thought it wasn't what it could have/should have been.

Some spoilers:

There were things that made no sense thrown in for dramatic effect like when Shaw is trying to "abort" the alien in her she goes to the machine and it says it can't perform the operation because she is not a male. How stupid is that? Sure they can say they brought that instrument along solely for the old man (weyland of weyland yutani I believe it is), but it still makes no sense at all that it wouldn't work on both Male and Female and then it works anyway and performs the surgery perfectly proving it was unnecesary drama.

They may intend to further explain the black liquid in sequels, but they left too much info out/loose. What were the other creatures in the space ship (the snake like things)? Why does David put the drop in the guys drink in the first place? Did he know what it would do? If so how? Why would the disease caused by the black liquid infect the guy, but be passed on in a functioning way to Shaw? Why would it create a giant facehugger? I haven't read many of the comics or books on the series, but it just seems like they over complicated the xeno's life cycle. So the giant inexplicable facehugger causes some sort of unique/queen alien from the space jockey's?

So many questions that you come to simply from poor movie execution. He tried to squeeze too much in. So not only are there tons of unanswered questions, but you end up not caring about the characters. David and Shaw are the only two that I know the names of after watching the movie. Also he avoided connecting the story (which would have been easy and satisfying to viewers) so he could make a franchise. That just added more questions.

Questions like. Does the girl make it to the other planet or most presumably crashes on the other LV planet that is where the Alien movie starts after the crew hears the distress call (which would have made more sense of it was the distress call of the prometheus). Why are the alien eggs so similarly situated as the canisters in prometheus? This again would have made more sense if they said it was the same planet as in Alien and the black stuff oozing out formed the canisters into eggs or SOMETHING (though I would personally consider that pretty lame). So I guess Shaw escapes this planet and then crashes the ship on the LV planet that they land on in Alien (which is different than the one in Prometheus) which may mean David causes her to crash or the space jockeys (engineers) are wiped out by the Xenos when she gets there (which is most likely I guess considering the Space Jockey with his chest burst open in the chair in Alien).

I dunno. I just was kinda let down by the movie. I had dreamed of a space jockey movie and it could have been done so much better.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Hey i have some theories i would like to add. I think we all created each other. All as in Engineer, Alien and Humans.

SPOILER BELOW.

-First you see Engineer Drink the black liquid(which has essence or bacterium of the aliens). and he transforms(sort of the like the main girl's bf) and he gives life to Humans. But remember you see a ship depart? who was in that ship? engineers? or advanced humans?

-Remember Engineer was researching the black liquid to use it for some purpose. For all we know the black liquid has an effect on organisms. First specimen is the worms that was native to the Planet(planet on the movie), when these worms came in contact with the black liquid they transformed into a giant size worms(ability to spit acids, and burrow, these were not the black aliens you known about from Aliens movie).

First, the black substance get transfer to the boyfriend, and thru sperm it infects the girl.

Black substance + Human recipient = Squid Monster

Squid Monster + Engineer = Alien

but remeber at the start when Engineer drinks the Black Substance.

Engineer + Black Substance = Humans

What if Humans + Aliens = Engineer?

What are the chances that the ship at the start of the movie carried advanced humans, who left the cross-breed (Engineer) on Earth so he doesn't contaminate the rest of the crew and left for some other planets?

Also like to note the the black substance were being used for a weapon... and the planet was a military base or camp... but weapon for what? some war with another race? who? can it be the advanced humans? is that why the sleeping Engineer got mad after waking up and seeing the humans?

What if we don;t know who seeded who, its always been a cycle...

Engineer + Black substance > Human + Black substance > Squid + Engineer > Alien + Human > Engineer and recycle and repeat.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Oh wow! That is another way to look at it!

Unfortunately, there are a million ways to look at this story. So much of it just doesn't add up.
Like said above you, why oh why did the machine have to say it only works on males???
That doesn't make any sense at all! And then it worked like a jiff. It was needless drama added to increase tension. It didn't increase tension, it increased confusion.

Scott really jacked up with this film as far as the story goes. If he makes a sequel, it would have to be devoted entirely to fixing all the plot holes this movie created just so he could move on and create a true sequel.

The screw ups in this film are really mind boggling. Just a little bit of logic would have led them to believe that none of this stuff made sense, or would stand the test of time.

I still want to know why the F that Engineer was asleep for 2,000 years. WTF was he waiting for?
Why did he all of a sudden decide, "You know what, I just woke up and forgot to kill of the humans 2,000 years ago! Oh #! Jesus happened! That was what I was trying to stop! #!"
Really! That is the only thing I could think of.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

I feel inadequately inferior intellectually after reading this explanation of the film. All I can say is WOW!
If true, this film is much much deeper than I had anticipated.
Your video was posted with the article.

I take back all the inadequacies I explained, and all the insults I levied.

Go read this guys. It will make you a believer in Scott again.

cavalorn.livejournal.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Scott's own explanation for the black substance doesn't make sense in context.

The Engineers had a crisis in the installation before their corpses were piled high. These corpses had their chests burst open. How did this happen? We see no evidence of any other creatures living in the structure, but obviously a chest-bursting menace absolutely ravaged the engineers. We are FORCED by Scott to believe that we humans created the monsters with our "psychic energy," yet this isn't true at all. Something (very similar to the xenomorph) happened to the engineers around 2,000 years ago.

Also, this thread is in THE COMPLETELY WRONG BOARD. This board is not for movie discussion. This board is for discussing REAL LIFE theories and hypotheses on the subject material.
edit on 17-6-2012 by PieKeeper because: spelling

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by PieKeeper

You obviously didn't read the link I provided. This changes the discussion in a way I thought the movie might go.
OMG did it go in that direction and then some.

Seriously. It's a good read.

cavalorn.livejournal.com...

EDIT: I considered this two-fold. Sure, we're talkinga about the movie. But, I thought it would get religious.
With the above mentioned article,,, proves it is nothing but religious.
edit on 17-6-2012 by Fing3rm4n because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Fing3rm4n

I saw some responses, which may in fact echo mine.

We have been accustomed to things over the course of the last 40 or so years, by one, Biblically Speaking, who is known as the "Prince of the Power of the Air". The MSM and the "Master" they serve, have one agenda.

To dull us into complacency so that when the crap starts to happen, our senses are so polluted with the Babel they have spoon fed the Population with over those 40 years, we simply accept what they claim, as we have been programmed to.

The thing I find most interesting is the OVERTLY BIBLICAL FACTS that are concealed within the Script both Visually, and Orally. Things said in passing, that frankly are statements of FACT, yet glossed over with the "spin of their father".

Constantine, Hancock, the 300, Zena, Hercules, and on and on. They all, despite the unique attempts they have to be different, recount simple Biblical truths.

The problem is, "Christaindom" has done little to address this matter. But again, what can they do???? They can't even agree with each other, let alone stand united against the lies of Satan.

Sorry, but that's a plainly as I can express the matter.

Ciao

Shane

P.S. The List of movies like this are amazing. Disney has the greatest titles list of them all, I believe. And the Small Box, (or better said HD3D60"FlatScreen) is rife with it as well. Lost Girl, Dark Angel, and on and on again.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by PieKeeper
Scott's own explanation for the black substance doesn't make sense in context.

The Engineers had a crisis in the installation before their corpses were piled high. These corpses had their chests burst open. How did this happen? We see no evidence of any other creatures living in the structure, but obviously a chest-bursting menace absolutely ravaged the engineers.

There were creatures.... actually Earthworms, they were native to the planet.

My guess would be that the Engineers in the ship died from mutated Earthworm(the giant one), which killed them then when it had no one to kill they died off. But original Earthworm still lived there until the humans opened the door and changed the temperature inside the room which caused the Vases to melt and release the black substance again.

My guess is still
Engineer + Black substance > Human + Black substance > Squid + Engineer > Alien + Human > Engineer and recycle and repeat.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Fing3rm4n

You do realize that this movie was make-believe, right?

This is a science fiction story, and it didn't happen and is not happening now.

Just an FYI

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Submarines

Does insulting ppl with unclever comments make you feel like a big boy?

I enjoy the fact that Scott is taking what this board obsesses over, and making an even more complex and F'd up story than even this site could have come up with.

With all the conspiracy nuts on this site, this should take off like a rocket. Problem is, his movie is so cryptic that nobody has caught on. Maybe it will take a directors cut or a sequel to flesh out the theme.

This board went nuts over the Matrix. If Scott is taking this in the Space Jesus direction, this WILL be the next Matrix level trilogy philisophical story wise. So, I'm just having fun trying to figure the movie out. That is all. Thank you.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
It looks like originally the engineer in the beginning was not by himself.

www.totalfilm.com...

the theatrical cut showed the aforementioned figure all alone in his task, this new image shows him joined by a second figure, one apparently showing the signs of pronounced old age. These things don't remain muscle-bound titans forever, then.

How exactly the second figure would have fit into the plot is anyones guess, although with Ridley Scott confirming that the Blu-ray edition will contain around 20-30 minutes of deleted scenes, we should be able to find out eventually.

edit on 26-6-2012 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Those who hate it don't understand it. Ridley Scott said if he had his way he would make 2 more movies to bridge the gap between Prometheus and the original Alien. So it its more a distant prequel. In a nutshell, the beings from Prometheus created life on earth by drinking that black fluid which caused their DNA to unravel and thus become part of the water on earth. Humans inadvertently created the Alien also. So in Prometheus the human engineers were going to be sent to back to earth in order to rid the planet and start a-new. In the Alien franchise the humans try to find a way to eradicate Alien species. So all in all I think the reoccurring theme in entire Alien franchise is that life is a viscous cycle which never really ends.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by HilarityEnsues
Those who hate it don't understand it.

Or, I do understand it, yet still don't like it. I just watched "A Separation", for the second time recently. Now that is a great film. Prometheus was not a good film, imo.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by trysts

Originally posted by HilarityEnsues
Those who hate it don't understand it.

Or, I do understand it, yet still don't like it. I just watched "A Separation", for the second time recently. Now that is a great film. Prometheus was not a good film, imo.

It doesn't have the nostalgic effect that other films in the series has, but in time it will become an important part of the franchise.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I don't expect anyone to read this post as this thread is in 'oblivion'

But I just watched this for the 1st time and LOVED it

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join