It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama / Executive Order / Immigration /DHS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Ok for those of you who caught that on TV. That was [SNIPPED] laying down the Gauntlet to secure his Presidential bid. Did you notice anything sinister about his motives or his speech and general demeanor?

What I am talking about is specifically the reference to DHS to conduct this operation. So the DHS same organization that brought us the TSA gropers, is going to solve all of our immigration problems in this country. Oh really?

Could someone explain to me what is going to be DHS's role in this executive ordered amnesty?
edit on 15-6-2012 by thehoneycomb because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Jun 15 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Could try to round us all up,

I'll be the snag in their plans for a bit, they might get there feeling hurt if they come to my house.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I am having a hard time finding the Executive delegated powers to dictate the uniformed naturalization process; but I sure did find it within the enumerated powers of Congress.

The president is charged with executing the laws in full faith. He is side-stepping it and sending out an edict.

All said, I agree that Congress hasn't been much help either, but an unconstitutional act doesn't make it right nor correct the problem....

Voter base is beefed up regardless I suppose.
edit on 15-6-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I found this.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Under this directive, individuals who demonstrate that they meet the following criteria will be eligible for an exercise of discretion, specifically deferred action, on a case-by-case basis:

1.) Came to the United States under the age of sixteen;

2.) Have continuously resided in the United States for a least five years preceding the date of this memorandum and are present in the United States on the date of this memorandum;

3.) Are currently in school, have graduated from high school, have obtained a general education development certificate, or are honorably discharged veterans of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States;

So they must have been brought here or raised here illegally before age 16 but below 30, but DHS can not provide any assurance that the would be given amnesty.

This is supposed to begin within 60 days. Not after 60 days, so basically effective immediately. Just in time for elections eh?

Maybe Obama will take the election in 2012 by force.
edit on Fri Jun 15 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
i think if you have travelled a treacherous and dangerous journey to reach the shores and soil of america, to give yourself and your family a chance at a better life, then you deserve to stay.

isn't that what america was founded from. the one place on earth were people from all over the world can escape poverty, tyranny and oppression. a free haven.

think of america's ancestors who braved crossing oceans in vessels barely seaworthy, the lack of food and the sickness and death that followed them until they reached ellis island.

it's no less dangerous that what many mexican citizens have to do to get to america. dodging the cartels and coyotes who could kill and behead your whole group as a deterrent to all others seeking freedom from their grasps.

the hot deserts that claim hundreds that have to cross it, armed vigilante citizens who claim they are defending the land of the free by denying it to others based on their skin color and culture.

that's wrong. all people who manage to reach america, regardless of where they came from and how they got there deserve to stay and make it on their own. nobody's saying give them welfare or money. don't give them one penny, but give them a shot. it costs you, as an american taxpayer, absolutely nothing to give citizenship to these people.

i think it's anti american not to give every single illegal person in america citizenship. and the people who want tough immigration are actually destroying the very ideals that made america a great place.

now it's just like any other country, nothing special.

edit on 15-6-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
It's official, Obama has won...

I'm so confused right now, it feels like I've been had! I had no clue that this was in the works, did anybody know about this ahead of time?

So much to say...

Go fix mexico

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

I don't take an issue with any of that. The main point of this thread is how do they plan to use DHS to supposedly enforce this? Other than adding around 800,000 voters?

So if a child is the child of an illegal immigrant. Child goes to DHS and receives his papers. Meanwhile DHS can go and deport the illegal parents but exempt the child keeping them here for an extended period of time.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
If I took a job as a mechanic, then decided that I was not going to work on cars owned by women, would I still have a job?

If I took a job as a nurse, then decided that I would not care for patients whose last name began with a vowel, would I still have a job?

If I took a job as a security guard, then decided that I was going to refuse to check vehicles made by Ford, would I still have a job?

No.

Apparently, the only people who can do this are those who are elected to high public office. Obama sought out, then accepted, a job as the Chief Executive Officer of the United States. He swore an oath to uphold the Constitution and laws of the United States of America. His job is to oversee the military and enforce national law.

He just publicly refused to do so, and also single-handedly passed a law of his own making. He just (again) violated his oath by refusing to uphold a law and his office by circumventing the Constitutional legislative process. Yet, he will be glorified for doing this.

I used to be confused when I saw people supporting such acts. Now I am just saddened.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb

I don't take an issue with any of that. The main point of this thread is how do they plan to use DHS to supposedly enforce this? Other than adding around 800,000 voters?

So if a child is the child of an illegal immigrant. Child goes to DHS and receives his papers. Meanwhile DHS can go and deport the illegal parents but exempt the child keeping them here for an extended period of time.

Exactly how are they adding 800,000 voters???

You do know this doesn't grant them citizenship or voting rights...right???

And who would you want to handle this instead of DHS???

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

DHS is the parent agency of Immigration/Customs Enforcement (ICE). It is also the parent agency of the Border Patrol. It only makes sense they were mentioned. Basically the edict is handed down to stop deporting 16-30 year old persons.

To your second paragraph that is the underlying issue -- since this will carve out an exception for a subset of minors (16/17 year old children of immigrants), there would be immense outcry if they were allowed to pass while the parents are sent packing. Ingenious and insidious all together.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Right I understand that. So basically DHS is just going to sit on their hands, like they always do and do nothing to fix immigration.

Who would do better, maybe I don't know, law enforcement? They are the first people who come into contact with criminals in the first place.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I actually agree with you on this one....those people already vote so they aren't adding anything. Just securing those votes for this November.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Yes it sure seems like a double edged sword.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Right I understand that. So basically DHS is just going to sit on their hands, like they always do and do nothing to fix immigration.

Who would do better, maybe I don't know, law enforcement? They are the first people who come into contact with criminals in the first place.

He only came out with this to post pone this whole immigration issue. Now all he has to do is send everyone in America a nice crisp $20 bill right before the election and everyone will have forgotten immigration issues along with the economic issues we are currently mired in. Dumb Americans.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Here is the damned worst thing about this all -- People are being used as political pawns.

Here is what I would have liked to see -- even if it were policy I didn't agree with:

For President Obama to actually utilize the Bully Pulpit and place his thumb upon the Congress to actually provide a truly uniform naturalization process (as enumerated in Article I, Section 8) and then make his case to the People. Instead it is the same tired *stomp my feet because Congress won't do anything, so I will take my ball and go home*.

To unilaterally dictate policy -- even if it is "short-term" (and I implore you, find me a "short-term" policy that isn't just extended indefinitely) -- is dangerously close to thumbing his nose at the Constitutional authority of Congress and the Rule of Law.

This is a granted power that the People have entrusted into Congress and all they can do is maneuver and count votes based on their support/rejection of policies and over-bloated Acts that serve nothing to quell immigration to a steady and sustainable manner.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doom and Gloom
He only came out with this to post pone this whole immigration issue. Now all he has to do is send everyone in America a nice crisp $20 bill right before the election and everyone will have forgotten immigration issues along with the economic issues we are currently mired in. Dumb Americans.

He didn't even have to discuss the immigration issue -- it may be an issue but with so many tightening their belts even further (to the point of adding their third and forth extra notches), many were just not that concerned. Which is why many will see this as a political ploy and nothing to do with immigrants who are "by all means, American".

I agree though -- I say in October he should circumvent Congress again and just open the treasury to the People.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

This is the action of a dictator or a king. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad couldn't even do this in Iran by himself. I would suppose that Kim Jong il could. Is this the beginning of the end? Does Obama, the constitutional scholar forget about why we have a congress?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
"Finally, we have to demand responsibility from people living here illegally. They must be required to admit that they broke the law. They should be required to register, pay their taxes, pay a fine, and learn English. They must get right with the law before they can get in line and earn their citizenship — not just because it is fair, not just because it will make clear to those who might wish to come to America they must do so inside the bounds of the law, but because this is how we demonstrate that being — what being an American means. Being a citizen of this country comes not only with rights but also with certain fundamental responsibilities. We can create a pathway for legal status that is fair, reflective of our values, and works." -- President Obama 2010

Now I understand that the children of those who did break the law are hard to hold accountable and it isn't their fault their parents broke the law -- but just watch the news, there is no desire to become legal and now there is no reason to do so.

Most prominent sign I saw just now -- "Proud to be an *undocumented* American" (in the context of immigration, not freedom from an overbearing government of course)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Posted earlier here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

top topics

join