It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Happiest Day Of The Month (public assistance)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Okay I'm kinda new here. I don't have many people I could call friends or adversaries here. Heh, I don't know many people have even seen my name b4.

Im going to relay to you a story from my life in the past week. This particular event has no bearing on my future and no cause from my past, yet I think I will be ridiculed by some here on ATS. I...check that My Family has been struggling lately. I haven't worked in longer than I care to mention and my wife has taken the role of "Head of Household". Dont get me wrong I'm not sexist and this post has nothing to do with the male/female dynamic. We are normally a pretty stable family, but lately money concerns have arisen. We always find a way to make it through but never have anything left to use for enjoyment. I try to teach that material objects aren't important in the long run, but try to tell that to a 4 year old.

But to the point. I am a avid believer in a smaller government and that each man should be responsible for his own family. I will always lend a hand when possible but will, as a human tends to, shy away from beggars. I have come to realise the error of my ways recently and have looked to the "civil aid" for relief. I do not change my views on small government but yes I have accepted food stamps.

And it was the happiest day of the month.

Without the burden of worrying what my family was going to eat and the guilt at not being able to get them the things they want we have found more peace in our daily life's. I have paid into the social security all of my working life and I realise now the big difference between using the aid and taking advantage of the system.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by coven83

I think you are a very humble and responsible husband and father.

Getting food assistance is the right thing for you to do right now...really... circumstances such as yours are one of the reasons food assistance is in existence.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I don't think anyone would begrudge you some public assistance if you need it. The real issue is how long you take it and why. You don't want to become dependent on it for any length of time just because it's "easier." You don't sound like that kind of guy. Good luck getting back on your feet.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Thank you for your kind words. I do what I can for the family. The sad part is I'm educated, trained and experienced and I get turned down at Mc'Ds. I am a very spiritual person and try to stay in sync as it were. I feel there is a big change coming I just cant tell if its a personal change or a mass change.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I would like to think that everyone would understand but if that were the case we wouldn't be here discussing all this conflict and strife. The majority of the ATS community is intelligent and understanding, but as Im sure you know a troll lies under every bridge.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
This is why we have the system. There is no shame in taking from what you helped put into. None. I know men have the whole "I can take care of my family" pride thing going on a bit more than women, but it is only a pride issue if you are just too damned lazy to work and care for your own. NOT when you are trying everything you can to stay afloat.

I feel for you. We are pulling in over $25,000 LESS this year than usual. We didn't "live beyond our means" and just couldn't pay the bills. We lived well within our means but $25,000 is slightly over half of what my husband's entire salary was. So we know your struggle well. Without some timely support from our family at the beginning we would have lost almost everything. I am very blessed to have people like that as I know many who do not.

My point is...Sometimes life hands you a heaping pile of you know what. You did/are doing everything you can to make your own situation better and should take pride in that. It is too easy to give up and not care about taking assistance...the fact that you have not done that tells me that you are not abusing the system.

Don't be ashamed to take from the coffers you helped fill. I hope and pray your situation improves soon. There are more folks winding up like us by the day. The economy has hit hard and we do what we need to do to survive. Keep your head up!

edit on 6/16/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join