It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humanity escapes the solar system: Voyager 1 signals that it has reached the edge of interstellar sp

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Krumm

Most of the pictures you see of the Milky Way are artist renderings and I would imagine that some of the larger photos are just pieced together images from various earth based and space based telescopes.

The fact that we are sitting in the middle of it makes it nearly impossible to determine its full structure and size, but I think we have a pretty solid idea.

I found a page HERE that gives a bit of good info about the galaxy we call home.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krumm
It turns out, any pictures of our Milky Way Galaxy, is an artist's concept, all which illustrates the new view of the Milky Way. So, THEY DON'T REALLY KNOW. Our thoughts on what the Galaxy looks like, has been served to all of us, through media, science, books, etc, is JUST AN IDEA, of what the Milky Way is, what's in it, and what's all around us. It is all a lie, a fake, imagination, pretend.

en.wikipedia.org...:Milky_Way_2005.jpg
edit on 15-6-2012 by Krumm because: (no reason given)

I just wrote to NASA for an official explanation. They got some 'splainin' to do.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by dubiousone

About 23 watts.

The radio transmitters (there are two complete systems to provide backup in case of failure) have only 23 watts of transmitting power, about the power of a refrigerator light bulb.

pds-rings.seti.org...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
The question is, Will we find them or will they find us first? I hope they find us, because otherwise we will never hear about it. Look at what the masters of puppets are willing to do in order to keep control of the masses of sheople. Who know's what they have found out there after all these years. If there is truly a Nibiru, planet X or whatever, you would expect that one of these probes would have flow past or near it. Near enough to view it from a distance atleast. It boggles the mind to imagine what is out there.

Never understood the speed of light theory though. How would you avoid hitting stars, planets, comets or space junk? Even if you had some high tech navigation system, at that speed I don't believe any program would work. Loved Star Wars, but even as a kid I knew that it could never really happen, even in the future. Now teleportation? I dunno. The transfer of matter to another location seems highly unlikely as well, but it's fun to ponder the chance that it's possible.

I have come to the conclusion after many years of study that the only way we are gonna truly explore the cosmos is by stone hopping, like you do across a river. Meaning, actually sending humans to nearby planets, and then breeding the next generation of travelers on them. First, we would have to colonize and build bases for life support. Second, we would have to be able to find new fuel resources and building materials. Then, after many generations we very likely could find some interesting answers.

We really should already be doing this, and maybe we already are. We must branch out from planet Earth and set up a base camp. We can see how far we can go from there, then from the next one on and on to another. Currently,This seems to be the only realistic approach to serious space exploration do to the vast distance of nearby Galaxies, Stars and solar systems. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
It is assumed, that the Earth is about 26000 light years away from the center of the Galaxy. It is also assumed that the Milky Way is 100000–120000 light-years across.

NOW, with that in mind, any signals, transmitted from any type of machine, device, satellite, radio, what ever, sent from Earth, towards the center of the galaxy, would need 26,000 YEARS at the SPEED OF LIGHT, to get there, and reflect back to us, with another 26,000 light years needed for the a return signal, totalling 52,000 light year round trip.

Any signals or pictures sent from outside the galaxy, from a top view, that would have been sent back to Earth, of what the Milky way looks like, would have to have left Earth maybe about 5,000 light years ago, since the Milky way is claimed to be 10,000 light years thick.

Now getting to my thoughts on that. Light that is out in space, that scientist say is a star, planet, sun, gas, or what ever, is used to measure that light sources distance, based on the scientists own units of measurements, using the speed of light.

And a side issue, is that we all know those sources of light could be thousands and thousands of years old, and the actual source of the light, might now not even exist anymore.

What upsets the Idea of how thick and wide the Galaxy may be, is based on a newer discovery...

Scientists confirm faster-than-light particles in stunning test..
bangordailynews.com...

In essence, light particle or wave, harassed by a magnetic field, travel much fast then the normal speed of light. Planets and Suns have magnetic fields. Getting the picture? The light reaching Earth from various sources of space, could actually be much closer, because the source of the light, is harassing the light admitting from it with a magnetic field, increasing the lights speed.

Just a thought
edit on 15-6-2012 by Krumm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
For those whop want to know more about the onboard power sources for the outward bound voyager and see a picture of the earth from 4 billion miles...

Power

Radioisotope thermoelectric generators for the Voyager program.
Electrical power is supplied by three radioisotope thermoelectric generators (RTGs). They are powered by plutonium-238 (distinct from the Pu-239 isotope used in nuclear weapons) and provided approximately 470 W at 30 volts DC when the spacecraft was launched. Plutonium-238 decays with a half-life of 87.74 years,[12] so RTGs using Pu-238 will lose a factor of 1 - 0.5[1/87.74] = 0.78% of their power output per year.

In 2011, 34 years after launch, such an RTG would inherently produce 470 W × 2-(34/87.74) ≈ 359 W, about 76% of its initial power. Additionally, the thermocouples that convert heat into electricity also degrade, reducing available power below this calculated level.

By October 7, 2011 the power generated by Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 had dropped to 267.9 W and 269.2 W respectively, about 57% of the power at launch. The level of power output was better than pre-launch predictions based on a conservative thermocouple degradation model. As the electrical power decreases, spacecraft loads must be turned off, eliminating some capabilities.

en.wikipedia.org...

So yah, we are nuking the Universe, too. Whomever finds this thing and brings it on board is gonna be sorry they did that.

But what a vacation picture, huh?

edit on 15-6-2012 by intrptr because: clarification

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Im sorry but I cant believe what I am reading in this thread....people being close to tears...in tears crying over this "news".

Get a life!A craft we can not see is somewhere lost out there.So we are told that is.

Maybe it crashed years ago.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Krumm

I don't think so - that news story is quite old now and through further testing it was proven that neutrinos do not travel any faster than they really should - it was all due to some calibration problems.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by paperface
Im sorry but I cant believe what I am reading in this thread....

Don't be sorry, just go away.

people being close to tears...in tears crying over this "news".

Well, You're not the decider here. You don't write the rule book for what touches certain people, and what does not. See how that works my friend?

Get a life! A craft we can not see is somewhere lost out there.So we are told that is.

It sounds like you need a life if you're so bored on a friday night on ATS that you feel the need to judge other people about what ignites their emotions. I mean, this news doesn't bring me to tears, but to each their own. Of course you missed the entire point, because life is what it's all about.

Maybe it crashed years ago.

Maybe you need to crash, as in crash early tonight before you spit out even more drivel that you will wake up tomorrow and end up wishing that you had not unloaded out of your pie-hole onto us all here who actually enjoy these sorts of discussions?

Again, Go away. Just don't go away mad!
~$heopleNation

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

Ouch! If i wasnt a thick skinned bitch that might hurt my feelings!!

Then again I would have to actually give a f**k first,internet forum nobodies are a dime a dozen

bye honney bun xxx

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

I agree,however many people think Nasa already have..

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

How do you know we are not pulluting? You are surmising just like the scientists? While I fully respect your point of view - it is conjecture and I still maintain my point of view - it is an unmanned piece of space craft? Who paid for it - the people who had their homes repossessed by the government supported banks?

When a man made space craft can represent a shared purpose - not just the purpose of those who made it and financed it - then I will be inspired. Look at my current avatar - I am drawn to it because it s an organic and beautiful work of art. When I look at my current avatar and imagine a photograph of a man made space craft superimposed - it is no longer completely beautiful to me.

When a man made space craft can travel through time and offer itself as a symbol of all that is right and peaceful from Earth - then I can be truly awestruck by its mere presence and totally mind blown by what it represents.

Until then - your opinion can garner all the stars from all the posters on the site - I have all the stars I need - just exactly where they need to be - all around me all through the Universe.

Much Peace...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by paperface

Don't get all butt hurt about it. I just thought that you could put that negative energy towards something more positive, like maybe our corrupt Government? I thought what you thought as well, but in this life we sometimes have to choose our words wisely.

Actually, we really need to choose when to even open our mouths up. Trust me, I do the same sometimes. It's not personal. I just figure that with all the jerks and idiots in this world, they deserve a verbal beat down long before someone who has strong feelings about space or life in general. Have a great evening sister, and an even better weekend. No hard feelings.
~$heopleNation

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I'm going to be honest, this actually chokes me up a bit. The potential of humankind is truly staggering some times. We are capable of so very much and sometimes I think we forget that.
edit on 15-6-2012 by drock905 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
"Ground control to major Tom, your circuits dead, there's something wrong
Can you hear me, major Tom?
Can you...

~$heopleNation

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5

How do you know we are not pulluting? You are surmising just like the scientists? While I fully respect your point of view - it is conjecture and I still maintain my point of view - it is an unmanned piece of space craft? Who paid for it - the people who had their homes repossessed by the government supported banks?

When a man made space craft can represent a shared purpose - not just the purpose of those who made it and financed it - then I will be inspired. Look at my current avatar - I am drawn to it because it s an organic and beautiful work of art. When I look at my current avatar and imagine a photograph of a man made space craft superimposed - it is no longer completely beautiful to me.

When a man made space craft can travel through time and offer itself as a symbol of all that is right and peaceful from Earth - then I can be truly awestruck by its mere presence and totally mind blown by what it represents.

Until then - your opinion can garner all the stars from all the posters on the site - I have all the stars I need - just exactly where they need to be - all around me all through the Universe.

Much Peace...

You missed the point. You said we were polluting space, as if space were a river or a lake that we pour toxic chemicals in. As though a unmanned space probe is the same thing as a empty Coke can on the side of the road. As if a 1,500 pound spacecraft was the same as noxious gases spewing from factory chimneys.

It's not. It's a craft. A space craft, built to journey through our solar system, gather data and science for us and send it back.

By your reasoning, we should never have put anything into space. Yes, US tax dollars paid for that project.....and if you look into the history of it, you'll realize it was paid for with money from the government over 40 years ago. Should we go back then and find out how many people lost their homes so that it could be built during the early 1970's?
I don't remember the US government bailing banks out back then. I know. I was a alive then.

You said we need craft with a shared purpose. Okay:

Like your cell phone? How about GPS? Weather satellites? Solar observortories watching for solar flares and CMEs?

You do realize that data gathered by unmanned space craft is shared with scientist around the world, don't you?

I respect your opinion too. But I also believe in progress. I'm glad I don't live in an age where we don't know what the moon is made up, or think Mars has canals, or have to wonder what is below the clouds of Venus. I'm happy that we've gone out there, if not in our own bodies, at least with something we built that is and can be an extension of our bodies.

Voyager wasn't a Coke can thrown out of a car window. It was a scientific craft sent to explore, which it did, brilliantly. And on board it contains a greeting from us here on Earth........

When was the last time a Coke can on the side of the road, or an old tire in a lake contained a greeting to you and told you all about a species of sentient beings living on the third planet from a star located at certain coordinates?
edit on 15-6-2012 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Ehh, wake me when we're using stars for fuel.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

I did not miss the point - that is your intellect denying my opinion because I have not supported you the way you want.

When the craft was made - by your reasoning is illogical to me. Whether it was made yesterday or today is not the point - my point is - the craft does not represent anything more than a manmade piece of metal. Yes it has information contained within and attracts information from without. Imagine a caveman picking up a vinyl record - they would wonder what it was and without a record player it would be an unusual artifact at best.

The manmade craft is an artifact that is floating around in space - I do not exemplify with a coke can - I am not talking about coke cans - you are.

I am talking about a manmade craft that has no real purpose. Re-read my original post about how we as a society cannot agree whether we are the only sentient life in the Universe. How do you know that Intergalactic Sentient Life does not view the manmade craft as a piece of junk/bacteria/threat/dangerous item/waste and is steering well clear of it.

On the other hand how do we know that it is not going to drift for all time as a stark reminder that humans could propel a piece of metal into space but could not expand their own intellect to include caring for their own kind.

If I were an Intergalactic Sentient Lifeform and saw the manmade craft & accessed the information provided for communicative encounters - I would leave it alone or at best send it back to Earth and ask the single question - why?

Much Peace...
edit on 15-6-2012 by Amanda5 because: omission of a word

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join