It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humanity escapes the solar system: Voyager 1 signals that it has reached the edge of interstellar sp

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
We have finally become an interstellar species. We could have accomplished so much more if ALL Nations & people stopped bombing and killing other Nations & people EVERYWHERE.....

edit on 15-6-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

Sending a chunk of metal out there, meh who cares. Sending people out there now, that's something to brag about.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

How did we have the technology back then to have an aircraft fly 10km per second??? Is it easier to accelerate/maintain acceleration in space?? 10km per second just doesnt seem possible to me... Can anyone on here explain this to me?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
We have finally become an interstellar species...we could have accomplished so much more if we did not keep bombing people in the middle east for no reason..

What do you mean "no reason"??? We need their oil, thats a great reason

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
"On one hand, the bubbles would seem to be a very porous shield, allowing many cosmic rays through the gaps. On the other hand, cosmic rays could get trapped inside the bubbles, which would make the froth a very good shield indeed.'

Maybe they will learn more about the million mile wide bubbles..

science.nasa.gov...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Great....... Now the Wraith will find it and trace it back to earth.

get ready to be culled!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Wait till its returned to us.....

HA

Took what, 35 years to get there. A quick moment to get back to us, and it will take 2 days before we realize........ Someone put it in earths orbit....for allllll to see. Ehhh low orbit maybe.

Hey look, what that shiny thing in the night sky??!!

HA.
edit on 15-6-2012 by PLASIFISK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Some of you seem to have forgotten Voyagers real journey..

The journey that gave birth to Voyager..

From Leonardo da Vinci (April 15, 1452 – May 2, 1519)

en.wikipedia.org...
To Galileo (15 February 1564 – 8 January 1642)

en.wikipedia.org...
And onwards to the Wright brothers
en.wikipedia.org...

Further on to World War 2 and the Nazis, one in particular... Von Braun
en.wikipedia.org...

Whom, without doubt, NASA would never have achieved what it has.
Through pure science and interest and on to the need to kill more and faster, we have reached a place in our universe that we could hardly dream of reaching.

The combination of many events, both fascinating and terrifying, have given us an insight into ourselves and what we could really achieve if we put all our differences aside and reached out together as one.
When that day comes, then I hope there will be peace on Earth....

For most of us would have left and gone to live elsewhere to spread a little love and rock n roll no doubt

Happy and safe journey Voyager.. we will remember you.. If we last long enough..

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I wish Sagan were alive to see this.
What a shame he died so young.
All the good ones die young. Sagan, Hitchens, Hicks....Carlin. Why cant some of the assholes die young!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I was really hoping that Voyager would catch up with Pluto at some point... ah well this is a human achievement to celebrate.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by openyourmind1262
Who say's? NASA, Never A Stright Answer. How do you know this is in fact real? Anybody got any pics of this craft as it leaves our solar system? How is it put on here, NO PICs or it did'nt happen. I have my doubts about anything NASA has ever said it has ever done. 9 kizzillion dollars in space, and we now know bean sprouts just can't grow in zero gravity.

NASA, taking our tax money since 1960, and giving us zilch in return. Space the final frontier, yea it's where we all will be floating when the idiots that run our countries blow us all to hell.

See? I told you guys it wouldn't take long for the "nay-sayers" to show up......

Please go back inside your cardboard box, everything is fine......

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537

How did we have the technology back then to have an aircraft fly 10km per second??? Is it easier to accelerate/maintain acceleration in space?? 10km per second just doesnt seem possible to me... Can anyone on here explain this to me?

gravitational assists as it whipped around planets.

Here, educate yourself a bit on the subject:

Gravity Assist - Voyager

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Lets sen another one with modern tech and a Hubble type scope aboard. We would see some things.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful

Originally posted by jhn7537

gravitational assists as it whipped around planets.

Here, educate yourself a bit on the subject:

Gravity Assist - Voyager

Thanks Erik!!!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SBKXI
Wow. Not bad for 30+ year old technology. Let me guess, Bell Labs UNIX? It's incredible how far a current technology can go.
Amazing!

SBKXI, I support your ringing of the Bell to salute old technology that works

Indeed, this achievement is amazing considering what technology is probably aboard. I have been following this craft's progress with interest for many years and it's reliability is for sure beyond the dreams of the builders.

Am I right that it is taking 16.65 hours for a signal from Voyager 1 to get back to Earth? That is far, even though in intergalactic terms, it is just a stone's throw away. Anyway, it is a good example to show just how fast light travels (35 years by spacecraft, less than a day by lightbeam) and what a massive task it will be for us to travel even to the nearest star. My quick calculation say that will take 77340 years for a Voyager type craft.

Seems we have a way to go yet before we really get inter-galactic.

Lets hope Voyager I continues to return useful information to Earth and give the astrophysisists something really challenging to work on.

Thank you OP for the news

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by one_small_step

What exactly has it accomplished? Proving space is really big? Ya we knew that. We won't ever get to see what it sees, so what's the point? For all we know it could be flying past a galatic star fleet sent to destroy us, but we won't know until it's too late.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Just hope it doesn't appear in Earth/Moon orbit in a few years claiming to be "Vidra" and wanting the secret code word.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Oh great....mankind's greatest achievement....we're a bunch of galaxial litterbugs.

...hope we don't get a ticket

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by lolwuttermelons
reply to post by one_small_step

What exactly has it accomplished? Proving space is really big? Ya we knew that. We won't ever get to see what it sees, so what's the point? For all we know it could be flying past a galatic star fleet sent to destroy us, but we won't know until it's too late.

Are you just ignorant? Or just trolling? Seriously, it's a serious questions.

Voyager 1 gave us some of the very first up close and detailed photos taken of Jupiter and it's moons. It saw, we saw it.
Voyager 1 gave us the first detailed photos of Saturn's moons. It saw it, and we saw it.
Voyager 1 gave us in 1990 the very first Family Portrait of our solar system as seen from outside of it. It saw it, and we saw it.

Launched in 1977, it was designed to last at least 3 years to 1980 to get to at least Saturn. Which it did, and has been continuing to work for almost 35 years. It's a tribute to human ingenuity and what we are capable of (when we aren't bombing each other or posting trash on forums).

We have seen everything it was made to show us. Right now all you would see is stars. Including the sun, it would look like a bright small star, and that is all.

It's about to be the first human made object to leave our solar system. That's a big achievement.

If you can't understand or feel that, it shows that you are a product of this generation of instant gratification due to feasting on Fast Food, Cell Phones, the Internet where you can download movies (sometimes before they are even released), and said movies with unrealistic SFX in them for eye candy......

That is what is wrong with the world today.......

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by rival
Oh great....mankind's greatest achievement....we're a bunch of galaxial litterbugs.

...hope we don't get a ticket

See this post here.

Then get back to me about the litterbug thing.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
really who cares? we shot a piece of metal out 33 billion miles. the earth is still going to #, theres still war going on, children are starving, and we're patting ourselves on the back because we shot a piece of metal out into empty space, which has no existential relevance at all

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join