It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humanity escapes the solar system: Voyager 1 signals that it has reached the edge of interstellar sp

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

The moon landing has some things that would give it off as a hoax (fyi I believe the moon landing was real) to the normal disbeliever. However this is actually real. We got photos or Jupiter and it's moons, same with Saturn and other planets. With V1 it gave us it's own proof.

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I hope they didn't save V's program code on a floppy disk.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
reply to post by nighthawk1954

The moon landing has some things that would give it off as a hoax (fyi I believe the moon landing was real) to the normal disbeliever. However this is actually real. We got photos or Jupiter and it's moons, same with Saturn and other planets. With V1 it gave us it's own proof.

-SAP-

Except the Nay-Sayers will tell you that's not evidence. All photos from Voyager (or any other probe) were CGI / photoshoped. Because just like the moon landings, photos and video are not proof according to them.

Nor is telemetry coming from it proof either.

Trust me. They'll show up on this thread eventually.

As will the Niburu people, claiming something about Voyager.......

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
A monumental achievement!

I am amazed at the ability of a radio signal from that small craft to traverse the 11 billion miles from where it is back to earth.

I wonder at what frequency and power level that radio signal was transmitted, how long it took to reach us, and how it survives its long journey over those 11 billion miles travelling in the opposite direction of our sun's powerful solar wind!! It seems that these radio signals are unaffected by the distance and interference they encounter. That is yet another incredible phenomenon.

I don't have the formula at the moment, but I recall that the strength of a radio signal is inversely proportional to the distance between the transmitter and the receiver, that it propgates in all directions and weakens exponentially with distance.

Anyone know the formula?
edit on 6/15/2012 by dubiousone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I am actually quite beside myself right now! This is one of the greatest moments of my life (sad, isn't it
), and one of the greatest achievements of humankind. We got to live to see our species reach out into the cosmos...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Awesome news. What is even more amazing is that we are still getting data from Voyager 1, until at least 2025.

In the year 40,272 AD, Voyager 1 will come within 1.7 light years of an obscure star in the constellation Ursa Minor (the Little Bear or Little Dipper) called AC+79 3888.

voyager.jpl.nasa.gov...

Before this happens I would bet we retrieve the probe ourselves with spacecraft using advanced propulsion systems.

There are three other probes about to leave the solar system as well:

Pioneer 10, 11 and Voyager 2 will also soon be leaving home

www.heavens-above.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dubiousone

The Voyager probes are transmitting in the 8 GHz range using 23-watt radios. It takes about 10 hours give or take for their signal to reach us.

science.howstuffworks.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but what does this actually accomplish? We will never be able to see what this ship has seen, examine its data, etc. This ship will be lost forver in a few years. Is it cool it went far in space? Yes. Did it accomplish anything of note? I don't think so

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

So when will it get to Nibiru....?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I was still holding out hope that as it hit the Bowshock something cool would happen like it disappeared or speed up with no idea why. Something to make space not seem so impossibly vast...

That and I hope some machine beings send it back to us...Vger...
edit on 15-6-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
reply to post by phishfriar47

I may have a answer to your first question.

I think the probe may have just got lucky and dodged all of that space junk and just happened to make it to where it is now. Then again, I am no expert, but that's my theory.

-SAP-

edit on 15-6-2012 by SloAnPainful because: grammer

I can't believe no one has de-bunked this "news". According to James T. Kirk, captain of the USS Enterprise - this craft was intercepted on start date 7412.6 which was 1979 on Earth 2, which is in our current dimension and timeline. A documentary of this event can be viewed on the documentary channel called HBO. I urge you to view this factual record of history.

Flashtrum - out.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Maybe what they learn outside the solar system will drastically change science. We can only speculate as to what is out there presently. We found that the Heliosphere was completely different than they thought it was just recently from information we received from these craft. Would they actually let us know what they find if it proves science is wrong about the area outside our solar bubble? Maybe they'll find air out there.

I was thinking the same thing...but also water.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SBKXI
Wow. Not bad for 30+ year old technology. Let me guess, Bell Labs UNIX? It's incredible how far a current technology can go.

If we were to launch a state-of-the-art craft with bolted on cameras, would that actually send pictures back? Frequency distances are not really my thing.

Amazing!

It's using a UNIVAC-type assembly language I believe.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by lolwuttermelons
Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but what does this actually accomplish? We will never be able to see what this ship has seen, examine its data, etc. This ship will be lost forver in a few years. Is it cool it went far in space? Yes. Did it accomplish anything of note? I don't think so

Most of its best scientific instruments died long ago. So regardless of what is out there, these space craft will never really know either. With that said, it did transmit data from said instruments until their deaths.
edit on 15-6-2012 by DragonFire1024 because: clarify

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

You're kidding, right?

Voyager
NASA Voyager
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
This calls for celebration, aka getting drunk. But im a nerd.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

Wouldn't it be mind-blowing if just as it entered deep space it appeared entering the opposite side of our solar system?

Watch in the next few years when an unknown object is spotted heading towards Earth.

edit on 6/15/2012 by AntiNWO because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
You know I gotta admit. I'm fighting back a little bit of tears right now.

For me the staggering scale of this achievement is making me a little emotional.

I know it doesn't effect me personally in the long run, but for humanity this is amazing. Go humans!

Just to think that whether we survive as a species or not. there is a object documenting our existence sailing out there for eternity. imagine what it will be like in 20,000 years when some other race finds it and start unraveling our story. the story of an extinct but fantastic and brilliant group of beings that lived on a small inconsequential world somewhere far far away in a place long long ago.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Who say's? NASA, Never A Stright Answer. How do you know this is in fact real? Anybody got any pics of this craft as it leaves our solar system? How is it put on here, NO PICs or it did'nt happen. I have my doubts about anything NASA has ever said it has ever done. 9 kizzillion dollars in space, and we now know bean sprouts just can't grow in zero gravity.

NASA, taking our tax money since 1960, and giving us zilch in return. Space the final frontier, yea it's where we all will be floating when the idiots that run our countries blow us all to hell.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

wow dude, how's that flat earth theory of yours working out?

Yes you have misunderstood this.

Enjoy the learning curve that's coming your way.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join