It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Single Parent Beaver Dad Gives a Dam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Just in time for Father's Day!

Found this article whiile perusing the internet and thought it uplifting.

Beaver dads are often among the best in the animal kingdom, but one beaver widower who lost his long-time mate merits special attention.

"Dad," who lives in a Martinez, Calif. beaver colony, was suddenly left with three young kits to care for when his devoted partner died of an infection. They had previously raised 12 other kits together.

.Heidi Perryman, president and founder of Worth a Dam, told Discovery News, "We were worried about their (the three kits') safety. Would Dad be able to provide for them and could he care for them as well as she did? Would they learn everything they needed to know without a mother?"

Their fears were understandable. Dad could only do so much in a day. He not only built the family home (his clan's lodge), but he also regularly repairs it. This is in addition to building dams, gathering food and other time-consuming duties.

But "Dad" managed to do it with style!

He more than stepped up to the plate, though. In addition to tackling care-giving basics, he gave the kits beaver-back rides and tought them how to dive. He brought them gourmet tender new shoots for dinner.

If only some human parents were as selfless and devoted. Our world would really be a different place.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
And here I am, whining because my wife said NO to me getting a two-handed broad sword.

Nice story, S&F

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
And here I am, whining because my wife said NO to me getting a two-handed broad sword.

Nice story, S&F

Beezer, I LOVE you. I always get a chuckle out of your posts. Everytime I see that naughty little bunny it makes me smile.

Thanks for the great laugh, again.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Wow! 15 kids (kits)?

He's been quite the busy beaver!

The sad part of the story is that beavers mate for life, and it's unlikely he'll find himself another mate. I'll bet, however, he'll make a great grandfather.

Thanks for the article. SnF.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Thanks for that, I loved it.

He had choices and made all the right ones, bless his little heart.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Well, now we know where all the good men have gone!

Seriously though, what a great dad! The term "busy as a beaver" wasn't made up from thin air, and now he is working double-duty!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Nice find! Made my day!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
well I be damned

cool article

SnF

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
making the object of you devotion more and more until you are none is a sure way to reach realization. Thats why bhakti has been taught for so long

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I know you're just trying to share a heartwarming animal story; but

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Just in time for Father's Day!

If only some human parents were as selfless and devoted. Our world would really be a different place.

Seriously? So after mentioning fathers day, you also mention that beavers are the best dads --- as if to say human parents don't love their children unconditionally? As if human parents don't ever spend time with their children or work long hours providing for their childrens wants & needs?

Are you being sarcastic?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

It was both sarcasm and an observation. I used the word "some" to separate the wonderful fathers from the not-so-great.

I teach in an extremely poor area...and there are a lot of less than stellar parents (both genders).

Not directed at the countless fathers who devote themselves to their children and sacrifice for them daily. I'm very sorry if it offended you, it was certainly not my intention.

Happy fathers day to you!

new topics

top topics

join