It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just sold my first virtual item for real cash in Diablo III

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Originally posted by AzureSky

Cool story! Good job!
Auction sales = $10
Monthly subscriptions = -$30
Net profit = -$20 not including credit card costs for mats bought on the auction house.

One could have taken up a real world trade and made much more and got a tan in the process.
Listen, those games are fun but they are truly life suckers, please stop.

D3 has no monthly subscription.

I did not know that, I guess that means good for me!

But the game has been out for 1 or 2 months by now?
Ten bucks for all of the time is kind of negative, in my opinion.
My problem like mentioned above, is these addictive games just run you into the ground.
Then when the major attraction to the game dies, where are you and what do you have?
You have tremendous knowlege of lore, atrophied muscles, foreclosed home, ex-wife, alienated kids, alienated relationships, the list goes on and on.
These games are truly a blight on humanity, but someone is making cash on them.

The game has been out for a month. And the Real-Money auction house has only been in service since this past tuesday (so not even a week yet). The game itself is not addictive. No game is addictive, they just know how to pull weak minded peoples strings and make them addicted to the game. Its not a game problem. Its a people problem. But in the end its a system problem. People wouldn't feel the need to ingrain themselves in a virtual world if the real one wasn't so messed up.

I've never considered a game to be addictive to me, i can always set it down and walk away no matter what. I also only ever play one or two hours on my own time (8 - 20 when me and my friends plan for it with days off and such). Other than that i can take games or leave em.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Cant believe blizzard have implemented this,another game destroyed by greed.People wont have to work for gear now they can just lvl to 60 and buy it.As a long time Diablo fan i feel this will destroy the game in the end.

Regards to all

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
If you are smart enough leader of a guild and get few captains who is in on the real money trade(RMT), you can make big buckss, of course you need a lot of time in your hands. RMT is a common name for those people who does it, and they are despised by normal gamers, due to they cause influx and problem in the game economy, especially a game economy with a auction house.

Other than the "Chinese" money farmers(its not always Chinese but most of them are from china) who just takes over a certain part in the game and continuous monopoly the item/monster and put it up for a higher price, so only way a normal player can get that item is to pay the high price.

The other RMT people can be anyone with a lot of time, they usually forma guild, get bunch of people to join (entice them with loots and better upgrades). normally when you kill a monster or do a raid, you normally get armor upgrades and as well as expensive ingredients to use it for differ purpose(be it quest, another armor/ weapon etc). Now the armor/weapon drops are usually given out to the people in the school who are not part of the RMT, they are happy because they got the armor/weapon, but the expensive ingredients gets sold and made as real cash and shared between the leader and his captains. Some cases the normal people do ask about the whereabouts of the ingredients but they usually get the "the money is used to fund events and buy guild members armor/weapons and sort".

But if you have a lot of time, bunch of people to control, you can make money (hopefully you wont get banned).
edit on 6/15/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by FeatheredSerpent
Cant believe blizzard have implemented this,another game destroyed by greed.People wont have to work for gear now they can just lvl to 60 and buy it.As a long time Diablo fan i feel this will destroy the game in the end.

Regards to all

Its all a matter of choice.
I am not going to ever buy from the RMAH. But i will sell on it for sure (why not? if im playing the game and find items worth selling then whats the harm). I prefer to find all my own gear. But the really good drops don't happen until Hell/Inferno. And you need a little bump in order to survive in those difficulties. Once you have a main character (high dps) made that can plow through everything (with high MF%) you'll find tonnes of gear

Keep in mind that this exact same thing happened in diablo 2 as well, it was just 3rd party vendors that sold high level gear instead of blizzard including it in the game. So there is no real difference other than eliminating the middleman.
edit on 15/6/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

My problem like mentioned above, is these addictive games just run you into the ground.
Then when the major attraction to the game dies, where are you and what do you have?
You have tremendous knowlege of lore, atrophied muscles, foreclosed home, ex-wife, alienated kids, alienated relationships, the list goes on and on.

Only if you let them.

How is this different than spending hours posting articles and "debating" on ATS?

Only if you let these things take control of your life...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by darkbake

Don't remember where I heard this, but a woman designs shoes for female avatars and sells them for either $600 or $60 bucks (can't remember which price either). I think it was in a documentary with Michu Kaku on futuristic stuff.

In case anyone's interested, I made some cyber lime green Jell-o I can email to ya for just $3.99. Anyone? Anyone?

edit on 6/15/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

I want 3 but I will not pay until you make them properly. Where are the hundreds and thousands?

It's shonky shops like you that keep me buying things from those street cornet shops. I hate those guys.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by darkbake

In case anyone's interested, I made some cyber lime green Jell-o I can email to ya for just $3.99. Anyone? Anyone?

Consider me VERY interested. :-) Can one buy this in bulk?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

Only if you let them.

How is this different than spending hours posting articles and "debating" on ATS?

Only if you let these things take control of your life...

Agreed, ATS can be a life sucker too, the big difference is I can read an article and go live life.
No need to grind ATS points for better fonts or emoticons.

This game is alot easier to pause.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Off topic a little bit, but anyway..

I used to get sadly involved in one MMORPG, Pirates of the Caribbean. I was the naked dude with tight undies and covered in tats.. well if they don't make an avatar like me, I make one then. lol

But for all it was worth, I played that, using the free limited subscription.

I remember one night I logged in, and all these other avatars were gathered on a beach. I had to go look and see what they were doing. It was the 4'th of July, and FIREWORKS were about to be set off just off shore.

I remember standing there, watching with all these other dudes from around the world, as the event happened. It really felt spinny. 99% of the people were not from the US. We all just looked.

Having said that, I really can see how these things drag you in. I mean that was fricken awesome... And I was only a freebier. I've never paid for it, when I got tired of having a sloot and never getting 90% of the goals done, it lost interest to me.

Just ... I remember having a home brew of ginger beer I'd brewed, and I'm a big fan of POTC movies. It was a great month. Now if I'd been give the option of making money in there with a 'day job' you know what... I'd have done it.

As it was Paypal and POTC online were not talking, I managed to squeaze about 3 months out before they refused my access.. (I did register etc, but it never took my payment, and I did that maybe twice lol)..

It was hell fun just zoning ouit floating around on ships too, attacking random poms.. or french.. and occasionally, pirate ships.. and if you went to an island just off tortuga, you could fight other players.

I'd be glad to get paid for that. If somehow I could.

ahh just thinking out loud, I might even pay for that again, it was a fun mmorpg..

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I am honestly shocked that no one has brought up facebook games in this forum.....talk about real world cash for game perks......they have it nailed closed for showing greed. Bliz is just trying to knee cap the chinese gold farmers and keep up with things like facebook........let's face it, real gamers are gone, as we 'old gamers' know them. the gamers are today did not fail on super mario for weeks and weeks till they figured it out. I play wow, and i am sick of grinding, but also can't stand to give up my little gold for something i can go out and get myself. Face it gang, bliz is doing nothing that isn't common practice in the world, just turn to any facebook game out there. Want to blame someone for opening the door, blame them.

edit-and for the record, i always thought it was crap to buy something in a game that gave you a bonus over other players......earn your status the old way, don't use dad's credit card because you don't want to do the work yourself or are not interested in putting the time into something to get good enough were that little bit bigger gear wouldn't matter....it is rarely the gear that makes the toon, it is the player. And most will agree, that good players can do more with lower stuff.
edit on 15-6-2012 by pointr97 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

I used to get sadly involved in one MMORPG, Pirates of the Caribbean

Even more sad...I still play it and I pay for a subscription. Angel O'Pain, level 38.
Want to get even more sad? I have 2 Toontown subscriptions (Disney, as well) that i have had and paid for since 2004. I don't play daily and neither game have ever become an obsession or caused me to fall behind in another area of my life, so...

...who's to say you're wasting your time (to anyone, OP included) if you're having fun and enjoying what you do and you're not hurting anyone? Right?
Making money off of it is just icing on the cake.

I tried to sell clothing items in the MMORPG "There" (sorta kinda similar to Second Life) but was spending more time than I liked and didn't make a dime. People spend money on what they enjoy, so if you can find a way to sell something to them...more power to you, be it a virtual item or not. Sure, my Photoshop skills wouldn't get me through a survival situation but I actually like to live my life like I'm alive now, not like I might die next week.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Its unfortunate video games doesn't include more creative stuff.
Its always some war games or repetitive stuff. People, usually men, can be obsessive about it and i'm sure theres tons of ways to turn this into useful application.
Heres for a start, something that could make your Mama proud, scared but still..

While Lucas Ordonez was the first to pave the way in '09.
The competition has become global in 2012 with over 900k entry.
One day, all racecar driver will stand out from this kind of event.
Because you can screen down the best quite easily.
The only problem is thats just one good idea.
I dont want a us army drone academy to be honest.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

and
reply to post by AzureSky

Also, most games that cost money to play are only $14.99 a month.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Congratulations on reaching your game goal!

I have to agree with Iamonlyhuman and CoherentlyConfused. We have the right to choose whatever 'recreational diversions' in life they want.

How many hours have all you naysayers spent slouched in front of the zombie-tube (yes, television) subjecting yourself to trash - and - out of all those hours how many hours have you lost watching advertisements? Now THAT is gross.

If the OP wants to use his/her spare time playing an online game? What not! Get ten bucks back! That's a great thing - not only for the money but for accomplishing a goal.

edit on 15-6-2012 by silo13 because: edit to add CoherentlyConfused

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Very good! I remember being excited as well when I sold my first domain for $800 dollars, pretty good return on a $12.99 investment!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I will say a couple things that will always hold true with humanity.
People are stupid and do stupid things.
And as the world grows more and more, people continue their stupidity on a global scale and will buy stupid items that make NO impact in our stupid world.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
OMG....
Guys, you know...There is this game FREE TO PLAY
thats called Entropia Universe..
They have real money as well. And have been for YEARS...

This is in NO WAY anything new in the gameworld...

If you strike LUCK you can end up with a hit on 1000´s of
Dollar$......

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I was making real cash from virtual rares years before Second Life, in Ultima Online. Still the best MMO of all time. They have become so formulaic compared to that game.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Growing up in different times I can very much understand concerns and anger. While internet and gaming addiction may not be as bad as heroin addiction, it still does have a large impact. The main problem I see with fighting against the tide is in the way automation and productivity increases are limiting the need for your more traditional job roles. Houses can be built in a day and one farmer can feed thousands of people. With boredom the devils workshop it is important that something is available to keep people entertained and out of trouble. As technology will continue to progress the efficiencies in the workforce are only set to improve. People do need something to do and cyberspace is one area that is virtually limitless in size and scope.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I play D3 also. The game is About grinding for good drops.

I was trolling the real money auction house last night and the max dollar amount for an item was 250 bucks.

And there were pages of 250 dollar items.

I think it will ruin the game. The auction house is fine but I believe with the real money it will drive all the items to the real money auction house.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join