It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

argentina wants the malvinas islands!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
argentina presdent kirchner has taken the row of the falkland islands to the un, it seems this women wont let this go! maybe its time we deployed hms dragon just off her waters and give her something to moan about ole rubber face

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
That was a terrible OP...

Argentina's president urges talks with British over Falkland Islands
edition.cnn.com...

United Nations (CNN) -- Thirty years after hundreds died in a fight over the disputed Falkland Islands, the Argentine president on Thursday urged Britain to once again try to resolve the conflict -- this time, at the negotiating table.

"We have to leave behind us this outdated story, this outdated history, and build a new history based on dialogue," President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner said at the U.N. headquarters in New York during a meeting of the world body's decolonization committee.

"We're not asking that we're told we are right, we're just asking to talk," she said. "We are not asking for anyone to say, yes, the Malvinas are Argentinas: We are asking for no more, no less, than to sit down at a table and talk."

Argentina invaded the Falklands -- known as the Malvinas in Argentina -- in 1982, prompting a war in which more than 600 Argentinian and 255 British troops died. Following the war, Britain retained control of the islands, which are off Argentina's coast in the South Atlantic Ocean.

www.chicagotribune.com...
UK warns Argentina over Falklands "aggression"

LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister David Cameron warned Argentina on Thursday that London stood "ready and willing" to defend the Falkland Islands, 30 years after Britain recaptured the South Atlantic archipelago whose sovereignty remains a hotly-contested issue.

In a speech to commemorate the 1982 British victory over Argentina, Cameron accused the Argentinean government of "aggression" and said there would be "absolutely no negotiation" over sovereignty of the tiny islands, about 300 miles off the Argentine coast.

Tensions between the two countries have escalated in recent months, especially since British companies have started to carry out offshore oil exploration. Argentina's President Cristina Fernandez has reasserted claims to the scattered islands, known in Spanish as Las Malvinas.

edit on 15-6-2012 by FractalChaos13242017 because: additional comment

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
let her rant she's got no chance and its just good blustering to try and distract attention from problems at home and if she really wanted them and believed she had a god given right to them i'm sure she could sail over there and 'reclaim' them

anyway this will go the usual ways brits v's the anti imperialists with a 1.8billion killed in india thrown in for good measure just like every other thread on this topic

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by FractalChaos13242017

i thought that was quite good for me in fact, the problem i got is im not computor literate you see im not sure how to put the info i find onto ats.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   

i thought that was quite good for me in fact, the problem i got is im not computor literate you see im not sure how to put the info i find onto ats.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by vister74

You know what? You're right, you did great! A star for you!

Lets just toss out any and every requirements for creating a thread. Structure? Information? Links? Sources? pst. who needs em!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Chinese subs packing df-21d's will soon be on route.
jk, lets hope not :x

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   

This thread could have been quite popular, but your OP was so short and information lacking without any quotes that I didn't know what it was about until I read Fractualchaos post...
edit on 15-6-2012 by CrimsonKapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
The same argentina that didnt even exist when the fawklands were found?they must be needing their asses kicked again.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376
The same argentina that didnt even exist when the fawklands were found?they must be needing their asses kicked again.

That is true, but to be honest is Britain so pathetic that is must squabble over a bunch of tiny islands on the other side of the world? Is that what Britain has become?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I didn't realise we were squabbling.
Pointing and laughing at the mad Argi bitch maybe, but certainly not squabbling.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonKapital

That is true, but to be honest is Britain so pathetic that is must squabble over a bunch of tiny islands on the other side of the world? Is that what Britain has become?

It's all about Oil and Gas dear boy:-

www.fogl.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonKapital

Tensions between the two countries have escalated in recent months, especially since British companies have started to carry out offshore oil exploration. Argentina's President Cristina Fernandez has reasserted claims to the scattered islands, known in Spanish as Las Malvinas

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I would be pissed if someone stronger than me took over part of my backyard, build some houses then settle some relatives in. 50 years later i can't get that part of backyard back because those people don't want to give back to me and claiming they have the rights. Lmao!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Just a cheap politician's ploy to pander to a nationalistic sentiment in her country. If the Argentines want the Falklands so bad, let them try to take them again. We're just past the 30th anniversary of an international embarrassment for Argentina, don't doubt for a second that Britain could send the Argies running a second time.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Once the Falkland Islanders have their referendum on who they want as their government, ie Argentine or British, hopefully she'll wind her neck in, as they will vote overwhelmingly vote to stay British, the Islanders want to be British, the Argentineans were also given a lucrative deal in Oil Exploration and Fisheries rights which they later tore up, so that's their fault not ours. This current President has been stirring up nationalist hatred for the UK, to distract the people from their economic mess, because she can't do her job properly :-)
edit on 15-6-2012 by Shminkee Pinkee because: missing word

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
At one point the Brits had a quarter of the globe. It seems like they would be used to losing territory after all this time

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Only Empire in history to have wound itself up, rather than implode.

It was part of the deal to get US support in WW2...

Anyway, as for the OP, why is this news? It would be news if Argentina came out and actually said "You know what, we've been bull#ting for years, we know it belongs to the UK, can we be friends?"

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeBoss
I would be pissed if someone stronger than me took over part of my backyard, build some houses then settle some relatives in. 50 years later i can't get that part of backyard back because those people don't want to give back to me and claiming they have the rights. Lmao!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

The islands never belonged to Argentina in the first place. That's the long and short of it. It really pisses me off to read ignorant posts like this by people who clearly don't know what they're talking about.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join