It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

blogger Martha Payne 'banned' from taking school dinner photos

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
Originally posted by PW229

This young lady is exposing the diabolical state of school meals in the UK. The suppliers, who are inevitably government subsidised are providing food barely fit for human consumption. If people think the decision to ban her photographs was purely a decision by the local council they are sorely mistaken. This would have embarrassed the government right to the top, and we can't be having that now can we?

And that is very possibly the proverbial nail head meeting the hammer in some form..

I bet that some councilor is, or has, been getting a right royal roasting over this.

Kinda hoping that if it's true, that he/she has gone home with a banging headache due to stress..

Very nice point you've made there. Very possible. Especially considering the global exposure this has gained.

Indeed.

I can well imagine that poor old Michael Gove went absolutely apoplectic about this. In a week where the Tory government is on the back foot due to the Leveson inquiry they certainly didn't need this kind of scrutiny.

However, I am reminded of the old saying, "You reap what you sow." Martha's blog has exposed the government to further ridicule and proved that perhaps the best option to addressing an injustice is to throw it out to the internet and let the people decide :-)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I know that when my child was in public school, he always came home just starving.

At 9 years old, a lot of kids are hitting the growth spurts. I don't think that's enough food.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

They've overturned the ban apparently.....she's allowed to start blogging again with the photos.
edit on 15/6/2012 by 0010110011101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

I find myself agreeing with you.

It seems more to be a 'quick fix' with general junk rather than something of any beneficial use.
I was reading the blog and there is a school in Canada where the kids actually prepare the meal themselves for everyone else and they even grow some of the food in a greenhouse.

Why is the UK not doing something like that?

A lesson like that is not just about eating, it's about how to plant and grow crops, harvest them, prepare and cook them..

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by 0010110011101

yes they have.. as seen earlier on page 4

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Should never have been banned in the first place IMO.
But I am glad to see that nearly 3 million voices from around the world came together and helped in that decision.

It's nice when a little victory like this happens.. gives you some sense that there may be some hope out there still.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

lol, alright,,,,,I was about to say

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Citybig

Nope. Food should be provided by the parents, if the parents do not wish to do this, then they go hungry. It's quite simple really..

Err... no... I’m afraid you fail to grasp the basic history of this country. School dinners have been provided to children for over a hundred years. It is part of our culture and the British institution. It is something that we have paid for and rightfully expect. If there was a vote tomorrow I can assure you that your small minded view would be overwhelmingly defeated.

Absolutely, that is why allowing parents to decide what is best for their children to consume is the way forward. If every child went into school with a healthy, balanced packed lunch, you would see the benefits instantly, as opposed to feeding them some sort of gratuity meal that is barely even edible.

Or you could demand that the greedy politicians, who will happily spend millions on bombing foreign lands and fanciful sporting competitions, divert a little of that cash away from such useless things and invest a little into the health of our children.
Like I mentioned before... School dinners have been provided for over a hundred years and so it is an expected norm in this country.

So what you are really saying is, for those hours you don't feel that you should really have any say, because you can foist the responsibility onto someone else. And we wonder why generations coming up are completely apathetic and lazy when this is the attitude the parents have.

"Foist the responsibility"?? LOL you joker
... talk about twisting words. By law I have to send my children to school. I cannot be with them while they are at school, for two reasons... first reason is that I work... the second reason is that schools do not allow parents to follow their children around all day long. And so, due to this, I expect the school to take responsibility for all of my childs needs during this time...

If you can’t grasp the simple reality of this situation (faced by all parents) then I would suggest that there is something more deep rooted and sinister going on in your own mind that needs addressing?

And we wonder why the next generations have such disgusting attitude problems. The fact is, the future is in privatisation, and if you think some big company is going to give a toss about something so insignificant as food, you are deeply mistaken. You'll be making packed lunches wether you like it or not.

The next generation have disgusting attitude?? I think you should look at your own attitude. You twist peoples words, you are passive aggressive, and then cry that you are going to report people to the admins!

Privatisation is the future for greedy corporate who wish to milk the population for everything they have... hopefully though, the sane majority, will stop them!!

No they won't, the child who will be my nurse, doctor or carer is at school somewhere in India or Africa. Our kids don't go onto these roles because the education system in this country places more emphasis on the student's happiness over the actual education.

What an irrelevant answer that serves no purpose, other than to avoid the initial point raised and deflect attention away from the real issue.

I should have guessed that you would bring immigration into the equation... Daily Mail reader by any chance?

The biggest lesson in life to learn is "Self responsibility", if that means that your kid has to make their own sandwiches, or that the state will not hold them from cradle to grave, then to me that is the best outcome.

We have a generation where people expect things just to be given to them, wouldn't you rather the next generations had the mentality that they will have to work for things and sometimes they won't get what they'd like?

I don’t expect the state to hold them from cradle to grave... again you fail to grasp the simple reality’s of this argument and put words in my mouth. We are working longer and longer hours. In the old days it was standard for one parent to work while the other stays at home... these days with both parents needing to work, to keep up with the rising cost of living (often due to your marvellous privatised utilities constantly increasing prices while lining the pockets of their directors) and with parent spending less and less time with their children it is even more important that the state takes its share of the responsibility to its citizens. I am not asking them to raise my children... I am simply asking for schools to provide healthy dinners... is that too much to ask?

edit on 15-6-2012 by Muckster because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-6-2012 by Muckster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

I agree! Heaven forbid someone should should actually think for themselves, what would the world be like if everyone just went about thinking for themselves! It would be CHAOS, we would loose all control...uh... I mean there would be chaos!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Ohh yea, I remember my primary school days, we'd que up and walk along the dinner ladies with a ugly, unhygienic white, plastic plate, one lady would give us 3 smily face potatoe wedges, another lady would give us a small scoup of mash, and another lady would fill a little corner with custard on the side.

I remember the mash tasting yakky, and nothing like moms.

You got 2 items for without counting dessert, if you didn't have the 3 smily faces you could have 3 small shreds of beef, like the microwave dinner kind.

Then I got to secondry school. There was a lot more variety, still crappy #e though, and exspensive in perspective. I had £2.50 on to spend on free meals, I always had to add my own pound or 2 to actually get 3 items.
The curry looked they had been in the dessert for 5 days, with a 1cm thick skin on the top, god only knows some of the things hidden in there!

Then year 9 came, 2006, I was 14..... The era of Jamie Oliver

The media clocked on to the appalling state of food and things had to change, fast! The front man was jamie oliver.
Don't get me wrong his food usually looks delicious, and he's an annoyingly good guy.
But his school campaigne was a disater. They salavged it publicly in the end,

But down the ranks, where it mattered, us at school, our measly slice of pizza, and dried out curry, were replaced by rotton looking attempts at vegetation.

Really appalling. Put it this way, I always loved tomatoes, since the school started putting them on everything, I can't touch them. They were vile, old, and saggy, and something to be removed from your dry sandwich.

I think the hot food was pasta, I don't know to much about most the food, I just know we all found it *gross* and everyone took to bringing their own food in after that.

I've never seen the lunch hall so bare.

I hear from the younger people around me its the same. Actually last year my brother kept bringing his free sandwich back with him.

I asked why and he was like, I got that and a drink, I'm not eating that though, that's nasty, you want it?

And yep, looking back, I just binned it to, it was a white bread sarni, no butter, just one leaf of lettuce and 2 battered tomatoes.

He comes back hungry, or takes other food in with him.

I watched a documentary the other month looking into the quality of food in the childrens hospital, they found the actual children, had 2 cooks assigned to them and a budget of 23p per head. The staff had 15 cooks, and a ridiculous budget like 1.84

Stoopid council, mind you they're always coming up with the most ridiculous rules round here.
edit on 15-6-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

I think that food education is one of the biggest problems in Britain... Don’t mean to be rude to anyone’s upbringing here, but most parents these days are lazy slobs when it comes to food. I only have to visit the supermarket to see what parents are putting in their trolleys... Frozen pizzas, chicken nuggets, burgers, oven chips, frozen curries, crisps and chocolate... Total crap... basically they are raising their kids on a high fat, high sugar, high salt diet... and that not taking into account the chemical preservatives, flavouring etc...

And of course kids love this... our human bodies are designed to crave fat, salt and sugar because, for our hunter gatherer ancestors, these things were rare. Food companies know this and exploit it.

So now when kids get a plate full of completely nutritious healthy vegetables, they make screwed faces and think it’s disgusting.

They have been slowly programmed to except and enjoy the un-natural, whilst finding natural food revolting.

My wife and i grow our own vegetables and make quite a big deal out of food. For our kids a snack is fruit or raw carrot sticks. We are not completely manic about it, and do allow the occasion chocolate, but it is the exception rather than the norm.

What is sad and embarrassing is when people visit with their own kids and they look at ours with amazement as they tuck into their good homemade food while their own kids sit with their faces all scoured while whining "i dont like thaaaat"

And the worse part now is that many of our friends and family with kids will turn up now and say "i've brought some food with me for my kids, do you mind if i pop it in your oven"

Pathetic... poison your kids if you want!!

The other thing is discipline... parents are so weak and pathetic these days... there is a simple rule in our house... if you do not eat your lunch you get absolutely nothing until dinner. If you don’t eat your dinner you get no desert and go to bed hungry. Quite simple really, not cruel or malicious, just a simple education process that lets kids know that food is not a disposable item of convenience. And, in our experience, it has worked. We’ve had friends try to follow this simple model and give up on the first day... “Awww but he/she was crying so much I just couldn’t do it” Pathetic! Killing your kids through weakness and lazyness!

Sorry if it seems like I’m ranting but it’s something I care deeply about. People are ruining their kids through laziness and apathy, and they don’t even see it. This cycle has to be broken somewhere and schools seem like the only place, because parents don’t seem to be interested. Some people may say "ooh but its not the states place to interfere with us... who are they to tell us what to do?"

Ignorance and stupidity again... they refuse to see how they have already been influenced and programmed, into their current behaviour, through TV adverts, clever marketing and our lives being flooded with entertainment. People would rather catch up on an episode of East Enders than spend an extra 30 mins in the kitchen.

I shall stop now... because i've already gone on too long... but as the old saying goes.... you are what you eat, and I would rather my kids not be vat of slurry with clogged arteries and diabetes.

Peace

ETA: Sorry but this did seem like a rant... i am not aiming this at all parents. And its not as simplistic as just laziness alone (although there is an element of this) and there are many great parents who fall down in just this one area (i know i am not perfect) However, food is SO important to a child’s upbringing and you can teach so many lessons through food.... Responsibility, respect for life, appreciation of the natural word, understanding of poor people, gratefulness etc etc... once again, apologise for the rant... just something that i'm very passionate about

edit on 16-6-2012 by Muckster because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-6-2012 by Muckster because: bloody spelling... cint spall fur toffey

edit on 16-6-2012 by Muckster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Does anyone know who provides the food? Is it the State? Private Company? A federal thing maybe?

That # looks worse then GMO's, which is saying something.

Mercury, all part of a well balanced diet (:

And don't forget the fluoride.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

You have made me remember my school days with your post and it just shows how very, very little times have changed.

It's incredible to think that you were served the same old stuff that we were served.

Always made me think of battery hens on a production line.. kids are born, pushed into school and sat at their desks producing repetative lines upon lines of force fed stuff.. then we'd line up to be fed the daily gruel and grime.

A factory really..

Never liked school.. liked the dinners even less..

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
If none of you have seen the girls blog since yesterday, there has been a few things going on ..

Firstly, the blog has had very nearly 5 million hits.
Second, The girl was trying to raise £7,000 to build a kitchen. Due to the last few days events she has now raised f £45,889.46 at time of her posting on her blog.. The actual figure is rising ...fast..
Check this link www.justgiving.com... £66,419.97 raised of £7,000.00 target ... I bet it'll go a lot higher yet... Anyone got some spare change?

Her blog post saying 'goodbye' has had 2300 comments and her latest post has had 568.
neverseconds.blogspot.co.uk...

I think you know why I don't have a picture today but I will have on Monday! Thanks to everyone that has helped to get my blog back on track. I would have missed writing it a lot and I'm looking forward to sharing my dinners and yours.

I worried yesterday that I would never reach enough money to buy a Mary's Meal kitchen in Malawi (31 seconds!) but we have raised a total of £45,889.46 which is more than one kitchen! It could be many kitchens or one kitchen feeding many children for years.

A small thank you isn't enough so here's a big THANK YOU to you all!

See you on Monday,

VEG

What a wonderful person she is.. I bet she's been crying tears of joy and disbelief for two days running now.
I'd love to shake her hand and wish her all the best for the future and let her know that she is one in several billion that simply stands out from the crowd for doing something that she believes in..

Where can I ask the Queen to go see her and give her an award

She certainly deserves something. As does everyone who has donated to her cause and supported her through threads like this and comments on her blog and anywhere else that this story has gained attention.

It's one of those heartfelt moments...

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Done my bit... All I can afford right now, but it'll help
And the total is rising fast.

Total at time of this post (read above post)

£66,852.00 raised of £7,000.00 target

4,860 donations

What's the betting on 100,000?

ETA
Just hit £67,102
edit on 16-6-2012 by Extralien because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
i didn't read through all the posts but i have to assume that the comments that say "pack your kids lunch" are probably coming from people who don't have kids.

the point of the whole thing is that parents give their kids money in the morning to buy a lunch at school. the parents do not SEE what their money buys at the school. they've been told it's a nutritious lunch. they have the choice to pack one or let their kid buy the "nutritious" lunch at the school.

this girl just wanted parents to know just what the "nutritious" lunch was really like.

it's not about free lunch people. if you go to a restaurant and buy a meal you expect that when it comes to your table it's going to be what the menu described.

the parents don't see the food.... now they do.

i'm glad the girl is allowed to photograph again. maybe the school will start providing lunches that are worth something instead of pretending the crap they serve is nutritious.
edit on 16-6-2012 by pasiphae because: typo

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
yeah i would like to see how everything turns out afterwards , i hope it all doesnt disrupt the old kids , you know .

poorold dinner ladies who were just helping out .

some of these people dont know the politics of it , but they should care , because this obviously affecting these children .

and those who do this sort of this as ordered from on high , what sort of community is that .

i would look hard at who supplied those plates , to all the children who have school meals in uk btw , they remind me of fema camp / prision / mental health asylum type extreme nastiness .

even homer simpson can see the mayor giving the go ahead for rats milk to be fed to children - and he's supposed to be quite dumb eh ?

it wouldnt suprise to say those plates never mind whats on them , were designed by fascists/nazist type/state extremists. or would it . state extremists - yep

give me a sandwich box anyday mum

edit on 16-6-2012 by ZIPMATT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
What school lunches look like in 20 countries

what-school-lunches-look-like-in-20-countries-arou[editby ]edit on 16/6/12 by blackcube because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Current total of donations is;

£79,006.00 raised of £7,000.00 target

Way to go..

Over 5.5 million hits on her blog...and still rising..

I can't wait for her next post on Monday..
Maybe she'll start taking pictures of her class mates packed lunches too!!

She has the chance to stir something up nice and proper here.. decent food for decent kids..

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
6 million hits...

And, including gift aid, 100,000 GBP rasied..

She is getting donations from all over the world.

I wonder where the ceiling is? It's one of those times where you hope it wont stop..

Am sitting here waiting for her next update on her blog..

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
latest blog post has been made.. along with a very special thank you video from a bunch of school children in Malawi who will benefit from the £85,000 + that has (is still) been raised

Way to go world!!!

Martha and supporters of her NeverSeconds blog have raised over £80,000 so far for Mary's Meals and worldwide awareness of the charity, which provides a daily meal to hungry children in some of the world's poorest countries where poverty and hunger prevent them from getting an education.

Already, as a result of donations to Martha's online giving page, Martha has raised enough money to build a new kitchen shelter and feed an entire school for a year at Lirangwe Primary School in Blantyre, Malawi, as part of Mary's Meals' Sponsor A School initiative.

In addition to the children at Lirangwe school, around 5,800 of the world's poorest children will begin receiving Mary's Meals because of funds raised -- and that number keeps increasing as donations come in.

Today, all 1,963 pupils at Lirangwe Primary, were excited to hear the news and gave Martha and her supporters a huge message of thanks. On the blackboard at their school, they wrote: "Thank you Martha and your friends" and sang songs in appreciation of the support received.

www.youtube.com...
Please read the rest of the message posted with the video..

Keep going Martha...

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join