It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Masons?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2003 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Are there any former Freemasons on here? Those that felt that their religious beliefs were tainted by the Masonic Philosophy?

And if so...why did you leave the order?

posted on Apr, 22 2003 @ 10:36 PM
link   
My father was a freemason... he told me about it when I was young. He never attended any lodges or functions that I can remember (I think it had something to do with the fact that he married a Cherokee woman).

I remember him telling me about how one is accepted into the lodge, and that you had to be sponsored to get in. I remember asking him if he would sponsor me, and he didnt answer.

I never really thought about it, have to ask him about it.

posted on Apr, 23 2003 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Several family members were Masons -- my dad is a Mason and a Shriner and quite high up in those organizations. I was a member of a Masonic youth organization.

As for "tainted by the Masonic Philosophy" --

They were/are good Christians (I'm Wiccan and am not a member), and from what I know from my direct experiences, the anti-Mason bunch tells a whole lot of lies derived from a whole lot of fiction. Unfortunately it doesn't matter how often people are told this, the booga-booga lie always seems more interesting than the plain truth.

All the ceremonies and "lodge secrets" are available widely and on Masonic sites (ignore the stuff on the conspiracy sites.) Better yet, go visit a meeting for yourself.

posted on Apr, 23 2003 @ 12:12 PM
link   
This anti-Mason posts many quotes from works written by 33d degree Masons.

In those quotes the Masons clearly state that they are a religion, working towards the goal of one world government, with one world religion. Headed by A Christ, but not Jesus Christ.

Under psychic control of The Spiritual Hierarchy, AKA the Masters Of The Wisdom, AKA The Great White Lodge on Sirius.

So, whats the story? Are all these "booga-booga lies" from 33d degree Freemasons? Are all Freemasons liars?

posted on Apr, 23 2003 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I love it when I have a preconceived notion of someone online, and then it's blown out the window, hehe....

Some of my best friends are Wiccans also...

I actually had a Grandfather who was a mason (and was up until his passing). I saw nothing "tainted" in his beliefs... He was pretty Christian through and through....

posted on Apr, 23 2003 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Part of the reason I am asking about this is that I am a Mason and Shriner myself.

posted on Apr, 24 2003 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Researcher, frankly most of the people you are quoting, are writing to those who've been through the Degrees and understand fully the Context, furthermore you take most of what they wrote out of its written Context, and some of the authors you quote, were pretty much purposely stirring the pot with their literature, because they liked Masonry having an "air" of mysticism around it. Something where people would go "*gasp* he's a Freemason".

You'd find yourself greatly embarrassed if you'd join the order, and then re-read most of the stuff.

posted on Apr, 24 2003 @ 02:18 PM
link   
They are all 33d degree Freemasons.

In other posts you will find quotes from Albert Pike about the power and authority of 33d degree Freemasons.

Please explain why people with this power and authority behave in this immature and irresponsible fashion.

Given the description of 33d degree Freemasons posted elsewhere on this board, it would seem that they are not frivolous people.

I post what they write, and allow the readers to make their own judgement.

As for taking it out of context, I defy you to find any instance where posting more of the authors work would alter the meaning of the quotes I post.

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Who cares if they are all 33rds? At the time it was as easier to get to the 33rd degree than it was to become a master mason. Remember the 33rd degree wasn't instituted until what...late 1860s...even later? I should go look it up but not worth it.

Most of the people you are quoting probably got their 33rd degree when the rite was only 20-50 years old, maybe a little older, It's kind of stupid to have a 33rd degree with just Albert Pike in it.

Today there's a decent number and it is DAMN hard to get the 33rd.

Of course this is just speculation, but it is worth thinking about it because a lot of the men you quote were more zealous, more pranksterous, and of less savory character than almost any Freemason.

I don't know why everyone regards Manly P. Hall as anything because I think he's a bafoon, who purposely wrote things that go against Masonry, but that added an "air of misticism" about it.

Masonry isn't a religion, it's not the "First Religion" or any crap like that, regardless of how many prankster 33rds you can pull up.

You do realize the Scottish Rite is sometimes associated with the Jester don't you?

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 02:29 PM
link   
HKot, I'm typing this slow, because I see that you don't catch on too quick.

Manly P. Hall wrote the introduction to Henry Clausens "Emergence of the mystical" when H. Clausen was Sovereign Grand Commander.

When the #1 satanist in Freemasonry asks MPH to write an introduction, I see that as an endorsement.

Foster Bailey wrote his drivel in the 50s, 60s and 70s.

The 33d degree was started in 1762. More accurately, Anno Lucis 5762. The fact you do not know this tells me all I need to know about "facts" that come from you.

The last know it all Freemason on the board ( who also had defective reading comprehension skills ) said 1 in 25 Freemasons are 33d degree.

"Less savory character than any Freemason" WOW.

John Wilkes Both, 33d degree

Albert Pike, 33d degree. When he was a Civil War General, he told one of his troops to rob Union banks of their gold to finance the Confederacy. Young Jesse James did just that.

C.W. "Lend A Hand" Leadbeater, 33d degree. Lead wasn't all that boy beat, eh?

These are the cream of the crop. The ones who are above reproach.

Work on this over and over until you understand it. They write. I find. I scan I post. They are the cream of YOUR crop.

[Edited on 25-4-2003 by Researcher]

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I had hoped this wouldn't turn into a "I read it somewhere, so it must be true" thread...

*sigh*

posted on Apr, 27 2003 @ 02:00 AM
link   
If I've learned anything lissening to others its that a person can't always quote somebody. Each person must make their own discision on what to make of their lives.

As for the freemasons, I've met a couple and they seem nice enough not to be planing secretly humanities destruction, But thats only a couple of people, I can't really speak for all the Masons.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Manley P. Hall has since been discredited, he was NEVER a 33rd. Although he claimed to be. Please understand that during the early stages of the order hundred of bodies appered and gave very lofty titles to whom ever wanted and could afford them. People who obtained titles in this fashion where by no means legit. Example: A real college degree vs one I print off from my computer. Even today there are many organizations claiming to masonic which are not.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigred1000
Manley P. Hall has since been discredited, he was NEVER a 33rd. Although he claimed to be.

Brother Hall was a regular 33° Scottish Rite Mason, having received that honor at the hands of the Supreme Council, 33°, S.J., USA in 1973. He was also a member of the York Rite, and was a Shriner.

Brother Hall passed on to his reward in 1990, at the age of 89.

Apart from being a Mason, Hall founded the Philosophical Research Society, which is still in existence today.

However, despite the claims of Researcher, neither John Wilkes Booth nor C.W. Leadbetter were Masons, although Leadbetter belonged to an irregular lodge which admitted both men and women.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Several years ago, I petitioned a lodge in my city, and was accepted. Took my first degree as EA. I was only involved for a month or two, and started getting negative feedback from various priests, and catholic laity in my diocese. My mother especially was very concerned, and was upset that I joined.

A visiting priest staying in my home, refused to give me communion because I was a mason.

All the pressure from family, freinds of the family, and clergy, caused me to leave Freemasonry.

I also discovered that Catholics that join masonry are denied the sacraments and Holy Communion, and my faith had to come first.

The members of the lodge were very sad to see me leave, and said if I ever wanted to return to approach them, and they would be happy to recieve me.

However, from the feedback I've obtained in my diocese, I was informed that Freemasonry conflicts with Catholicism.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by chief_counsellor
However, from the feedback I've obtained in my diocese, I was informed that Freemasonry conflicts with Catholicism.

Did they say why?

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by chief_counsellor
Several years ago, I petitioned a lodge in my city, and was accepted.

Ex communicado!!!

(sorry couldn't resist!
)

A visiting priest staying in my home, refused to give me communion because I was a mason.

Holy crap I was only kidding! How'd they find out? Didn't you know that it was not permited?

Also, and not to bash the church too much, but do you notice the absurdity of it? I mean, the sort of peopel that have preists stay at their houses are damned well devout and pious, its just absurd to suggest that such a person deserves to not have communion becuase he's in a "Secualar Organization", which is the charge leveled against masonry.

Also, that charge is just bogus too, can't they just admit that they're ticked off over Garibaldi and let things be?

Honestly CC, I feel for ya, that must've been a trying time.

Did they say why?

The papal statements that I have seen charge that it is secular, sort of like saying its a bunch of 'evil atheists', but, at the same time, masonry, in the somewhat distant past, and at least irregular masonry, did tend to be invovled in anti-church movements. Even to this day masonry is seen by many as an anti-catholic organization.

new topics

top topics

join