It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coke to enter Myanmar for first time in 60 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

NEW YORK (AP) — The Coca-Cola Co. plans to start selling its drinks in Myanmar for the first time in 60 years, following the U.S. government's decision to suspend investment sanctions on the country for its democratic reforms.
Myanmar is one of three countries where Coca-Cola doesn't do business. The other two are Cuba and North Korea.
The world's biggest soft drink maker said Thursday it will start doing business in the country as soon as the U.S. government issues a license allowing American companies to make such investments.

I don't drink Coke much any more but this is a very important symbol of the direction the world is headed.

It's only a matter of months before both North Koreans and Cuba are enjoying this cold and refreshing beverage.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I wonder which coke the one with sugar or the one with high fructose corn sugar?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
I wonder which coke the one with sugar or the one with high fructose corn sugar?

As far as i know in Asia Coca Cola (and most other soft drink companies) uses sugar made from sugar canes, so i guess that's what they will use there.
(In europe it's sugar from sugar beet)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Pics or it didn't happen. I too would like to know what plant they are prepossessing to get the sugar for this drink.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
That sucks for Myanmar. Hope they are smart enough to avoid the sugar acid water.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

Well, just wait to they try our Swanson T.V. dinners.
Just to keep it fair, I'll give a Burmese Spring Roll a try any day.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
doesn't really matter if Coke sells a single soda, being available for sale by sitting on the shelves of local markets is a very powerful symbol.

and it didn't even require an argument, let alone a war.

for the nitpickers...what do you people eat and drink anyway?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I grew up in former communist block. At late eighties I got a can of CocaCola from my uncle. It was fetish. I was in hi mood, it was something extraordinary. Something what those ugly communists deprived me of. I opened the can and took my first "swig of liberty". It was disappointment. Ordinary brown soda. Nothing exceptional - aside the price. Then 1989 "velvet revolution" came with lot of hope and more and more disappointment. I hope people of Burma will get better experience than former communist countries in Europe ... common sense say they will end up as we ended up: destroyed industry, rule of mafiagovernment, country sold to foreigners ...

To add my feed habits:
Drinks:
water
teas (various kinds)
coffee
beer
vine
Food:
bread
pulses
potato
vegetables
eggs
diary products (almost all from factory farming)
rarely meat (if I have chance/money to get organic)
edit on 15-6-2012 by JanAmosComenius because: add

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by JanAmosComenius

I'm probably thinking that Myanmar will turn out like its neighbors. the people in that region of the world appear to be far more selective in who they associate with than the ones in eastern europe...

i did expect that there would be expressions of disappointment or disapproval in what is quite obviously a good sign.

Coca-Cola being sold in Myanmar is quite a slap in the face for many.

By the way, Coke also sells bottled water: I'm certain most of you can find something with wrong with water as well. anyway, i've posted a link to their site, so you people can educate yourselves.

www.coca-cola.com...

new topics

top topics

join