It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The perils of debunking the hoax of 2012

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

Thank You!!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
This year so far has been a complete and utter let down. Nothing big or interesting all year yet... Still waiting...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Why do people get so worked up? If it's true, there isn't a damn thing you, I or anyone else can do about it. If it's not true, well, there isn't anything we can do about that either. Damn...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, not to mention in a number of other threads, 2012 theories can be dangerous. We already have one suicide connected to them and we can certainly expect more as we get closer to December 21. Other than that they also breed apathy. 2012 is supposed to be some cosmic reset button. As a result people feel like they don't have to do anything to better themselves or the world as a whole. Then when the date comes and goes this apathy will continue. They will have put all their faith in this "event" and it didn't occur. This will then cause them to lose hope and feel like there's nothing that can fix the world. All of this comes from lies told by people looking for easy money. That's why it's important to argue against these baseless claims.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
could you wait until the year is over, geez

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, not to mention in a number of other threads, 2012 theories can be dangerous. We already have one suicide connected to them and we can certainly expect more as we get closer to December 21. Other than that they also breed apathy. 2012 is supposed to be some cosmic reset button. As a result people feel like they don't have to do anything to better themselves or the world as a whole. Then when the date comes and goes this apathy will continue. They will have put all their faith in this "event" and it didn't occur. This will then cause them to lose hope and feel like there's nothing that can fix the world. All of this comes from lies told by people looking for easy money. That's why it's important to argue against these baseless claims.

This.

I know it might sound far fetched, but I really don't want to be reading in the headlines of mass suicides like I did as a teen when I read about Jonestown. Again, one might say that it won't happen, but then, how do you know?
Given enough fruitcakes out there that really believe in the doom and gloom, people have been known to kill themselves and forcibly kill their children just before doing so. History shows us that.

I really don't want to be reading that. Especially when I get up on the morning of December 22nd of this year, have breakfast and go about my day just like any other day.

Then there is the flip side of it: the "New Light" or "Awakening" people.

What's going to happen with them when they wake up the next day and everything is just as it's always been? How many of them are going to freak out, or do foolish things when they realize they've thrown their whole lives into something that doesn't happen?

I could just shrug and say: "What do I care?"

But then if I can post something that some lurking young life might read and realize how silly the doom and gloom really is, and it keeps them from doing the same thing as that teen girl, then it's worth it for me.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I have a prediction........On December 22nd, 2012 somebody somewhere is going to predict the end of the world and we'll start talking about that.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

4.Weather that will raise the dead

I never heard that one. Care to provide a link ?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
What a party pooper. Let people dream a little. You have any idea how boringly mundane this 8-5 bs cosmopolitan,fascist experience is?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopy1978
What a party pooper. Let people dream a little. You have any idea how boringly mundane this 8-5 bs cosmopolitan,fascist experience is?

Dreaming is ok, but when this nonsense causes things like Teen Girl Hangs Self Over End of World then it has to be stopped at all costs... and this isn't the only story of kids being so spooked, and parents doing awful things.

Heck the main site for all this, Zetatalk, and Nancy Lieder told everyone to kill their pets in 03, and she herself butchered her pets to prepare for the Planet X hitting back then... Conjecture so long as people don't start harming themselves is one thing, once we start seeing kids hanging themselves over it, it is an entirely different story.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

We have already had one person kill themselves in connection to 2012 theories. We have had countless others contemplating suicide because of them.

It was clear that person had a lot more problems than paranoia about 2012. Just because she talked about 2012 doesn't mean that's the reason she killed herself. If she really believed in the 2012 theories she could have just waited and if the stories were true she would have died anyway. Furthermore, there are many fantastical theories on the internet, you can't blame the people who come up with those theories for the potential morons who believe them.

We have people potentially irrevocably altering their lives because of modern fairy tales told by snake oil salesmen.

We also have people irrevocably altering their lives because of ancient fairy tales told by snake oil salesmen... people will believe what they want to believe. However, 2012 theories don't tell people how to live, they are often very open ended and the final outcome is left up the interpretation of the reader. People will believe which ever 2012 theory resonates with them the most. If it's not conspiracy theories it will be religion or something else.
edit on 16/6/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

4.Weather that will raise the dead

I wish I had never written it like that. I have been watching some comments on the that and getting more red faced as time goes on.

I meant to say something along the lines of wild and destructive weather that has never ever been seen before due to whatever someone thinks 2012 is all about. I needed a quick blurb and wrote what I did.

After the first comment I went back and looked and thought, "I am such a bad writer at times."

Did not intend to be misleading or confusing or trying to start another myth about 2012. According to the article I linked to I just might be labeled as the source of this myth.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Snoopy1978

What a party pooper. Let people dream a little.

Dreaming is not the same as believing. I link to watch Harry Potter, the Alien movies, vampire movies, but I don't believe in any of that. I don't mind stories with ESP or ghosts, but I don't believe in that.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

People will believe which ever 2012 theory resonates with them the most. If it's not conspiracy theories it will be religion or something else.

The article in the OP suggests that is not correct about 1/4 of the time. It suggests that around 1/4 of the time we, as in people, get things wrong and then latch onto these mistakes.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
Stereologist
This 2012 and Nibiru planet subject do fascinate you
never seen someone trying to debunk a subject so hard

Nobody can debunk them

There is nothing to debunk, if it doesn't make its own case or have someone credible makes it's case for it, then it doesn't warrant the need to debunk it. Easy as that.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopy1978

If it's boring, it's kind of up to you to make it what you want. Too boring, YOUR BAD...

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Newagekid2012
You sir are in for a suprise!

Do tell.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
Stereologist
This 2012 and Nibiru planet subject do fascinate you
never seen someone trying to debunk a subject so hard

Nobody can debunk them

Please, these have been debunked to the bunking hilt. What they never have been is proven.

Hey, you're one of those people who have grabbed onto a lie you believe is true ! You're who this thread is about. HA ha.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deafseeingeyedog
The ACTUAL significance of 2012 is the idea that our solar system is transitioning from one galactic hemisphere to the other by passing through the galactic equator.

www.zengardner.com...

My theory is that the gas clouds voyager picked up is actually the belt of energy that runs around the galaxy like saturns rings.

What happens when we pass through it is the real question.

Here is the truth about the galactic "center" our galaxy is so large that the approach to the center, would take years. Meaning for years we would be so close to the center or just off the center as to appear to be in the center. That means we are already in the center or damn near so close we can smell it from here. and it will take a few more years to move away from this center. Therefore any affects from being at the center would be felt now would have been felt for years and will continue to be felt for years as we move away from the center. That of course is if we were in fact approaching any kind of center or equator, (
:puz

My crazy theory is that these clouds are galactic farts and we keep away from them because they contain toxic gas that will make us keel over and faint. Hey, its as valid as any other isnt it?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by tucker81

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by tucker81

I too am always amazed how baseless "conspiracy theories" are perpetuated so long but valid conspiracy theories get thrown under the rug. I do believe that a lot of these ridiculous theories are encouraged by the sock puppets or psy-op guys.

Please, please, please read the article. There are lots of conspiracy theories mentioned in the article and a discussion of the appearance of false ideas about the ideas and the source.

I finally read the article. I didn't realize it was a psy-op. This part was funny:

"Similarly, many in the Arab world are convinced that the destruction of the World Trade Center on Sept. 11 was not the work of Arab terrorists but was a controlled demolition"

I guess I am one of the dumb ones that doesn't understand how a bunch of guys from desert caves came to America and took over Boeing superjets with boxcutters. That sounds like a ridiculous conspiracy theory to me. Call me stupid I guess.

Wait, you believe that these guys lived in caves but you dont believe the rest of it. Ok that tells me all I need to know.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join