It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The perils of debunking the hoax of 2012

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008
reply to post by stereologist

s+f

We are on a conspiracy site common sense and an understanding of basic science are not required for membership, which is a shame

edit on 15-6-2012 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOOL if i've learned anything in the past year is that what you're referring to as science is mostly bull#. not all of it a lot of great innovation and comforts have come out but as far as what they're willing to admit about the most fundamental aspects of reality and what a human being is and what we are capable of-yeah complete bull#

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
*rolls her eyes*

We get it. You're on a divine mission to clear the dust from all our eyes and bring us into the warm fold of your absolute knowledge of the universe. *huge grin and giant thumbs up*

Thanks dude! What would we do without you?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Even the most esteemed astrologers acknowledge the possibility of rogue planets, comets or an asteroid striking the Earth sometime in the future.

I think I'd prefer to listen to an astronomer.

Maybe I'm weird like that.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Why is there so much butthurt? If you believe in something that is patently false, shouldn't you be grateful to someone attempting to demonstrate WHY it's false? I don't understand why some people are so violently opposed to becoming better educated. What is WRONG with you? Mrs Eyeroll above, for example -- not singling you out but you're on the same page as my post and the butthurt tone is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Instead of arguing over it on ATS knowing that nothing is going to come out of it other then wasting your time, I suggest you to just wait and see what happens. Only less than 7 months to go till Decemeber 21, 2012 arrives.

Want my take on this topic? Simply read the thread in my signature. "My Theory of Everything". Which clicks everything into place, in a way to make everything clearer. Well, that was the plan.
edit on 15-6-2012 by TheProphetMark because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Amadeo

Because then they are forced to actually see the world. 2012 is supposed to be some giant, cosmic, reset button. The people that believe in these theories think that the world is in such a state that it can't be fixed without said reset button. So in their minds if the reset button doesn't exist then life is hopeless. It's a perfect example of cognitive dissonance.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

So how does a pole shift cause an ice age. Wouldn't a large enough pole shift move the Arctic ocean into a position where it was more temperate and thus eliminate this ocean that has limited circulation with other warmer oceans?

Pole shifts don't cause ice ages. We are talking about the magnetic pole, with the earth's axial alignment remaining stable. The magnetic poles do fluctuate, and move around, but the magnetosphere's primary purpose is to shield the earth from the radiation from the sun. It prevents us from being cooked.

Volcanic activity causes ice ages, when the airborne ash prevents solar radiation from heating the earth.

Both are unpredictable events.

Precession is the movement of the earth's axial alignment, but it occurs over a 26,000 year span, so there's nothing abrupt that occurs and the planet slowly goes through changes.

It's the sudden abrupt changes that really hurt.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

The thing is we don't need to wait and see. The reason anyone ever cared about December 21, 2012 in the first place is because of some Mayan prophecy. A Mayan prophecy that doesn't exist. They didn't even believe that there would be another Creation. We were the end all be all of sentient beings. The Fifth Sun prophecy is Aztec in origin but it is not tied to a specific date. They didn't even use the Long Count so December 21, 2012 had no meaning to them whatsoever. They used the Calendar Round. The CR next repeats in 2027 but it repeats every 52 years.

There is absolutely no basis for 2012 theories. Somebody told a lie about the Maya and now that lie has grown into an industry unto itself. So why wait and see for the conclusion when we know the original premises were false?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Err these threads strike a nerve. Mostly because everyone has their own beliefs and of course this site is about sharing your ideas so people like to therefor elaborate on their ideas.

No ones beliefs should be brought down by someone that doesn't believe the others thoughts.

I know I have my own thoughts on what 2012 means for me, you, and everyone else on this planet. Whether Id share those....shya right! I dont feel like getting trampled all over for my own personal thoughts...screw that.

Regardless December should be a very exciting month and the months leading up to It I believe will be filled with tons of new stories and ideas. Im amped about it.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deafseeingeyedog
The ACTUAL significance of 2012 is the idea that our solar system is transitioning from one galactic hemisphere to the other by passing through the galactic equator.

Which it isn't. It won't do that for millions of years. So in that case, we have a long wait ahead of us

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

Where are you getting your information? Can I have a link please???

Is this that your talking about the same thing people describe as "entering the 4th dimension"

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Interesting article. Makes a lot of sense.

In my opinion, you need to look no further than the media. Jan. 1, 1995, The History Channel was launched. You would think by the title that the show would be about factual historical content. But...noooo. It isn't. It's a creative mix using psych-ops, imo. Consider this:

The History Channel is jointly owned by A&E Television Networks, which is a joint venture of the Hearst Corporation, Disney-ABC Television Group (The Walt Disney Company) and NBCUniversal (Comcast/General Electric), and operates, in various forms, in Canada, Germany, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Portugal, Ireland, Israel, Spain, Poland, Italy, Turkey, the Netherlands, Belgium, Romania, Serbia, South Africa and Latin America.

Then, check out Discovery Communications Inc. and look at all the channels they own, including The Science Channel.

Look at all the media (TV, Movie, Print, Cable, etc.) connections. This translates into $$$$$$$$ all the way around. Get THE PEOPLE hooked on a concept, give it a "historical" twist, mix it with some religious end-times doctrine, add a little scientific speculation, and voila! Dooms Day Extraordinaire. Then milk it for all it's worth. Make movies, TV shows, books, documentaries, etc. etc.

edit on 15-6-2012 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-6-2012 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GARN40ish

www.2012hoax.org...

www.sbnature.org...

We last crossed the galactic plane ~3my ago and are currently moving away from it. Next next crossing should be in ~30my.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

The idea that all we have to do is to wait and see if rather inefficient isn't it?

Why wait? Isn't there a way of deciding earlier on if something will happen?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by biggmoneyme

The ancients were more advanced then you materialist will give them credit for.

Please allow me to disagree. I am one of the people that argues that ancients were smart and able. I argue that there is no need to invoke aliens to explainthe construction of ancient wonders.

But a big problem is the confusion that ancients predicted a new era on the Earth or whatever you want to call it. That is actually a new age claim. I believe that the false notion of these ancient prophecies has been reinforced by pointing out that people have recently made up these stories.

Geological events? Of course there have been geological events. You're lying to yourself there bud.

No I am not when it comes to the claims of the 2012 believers. For instance a passing planet is not going to cause massive quakes.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by biggmoneyme

LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOOL if i've learned anything in the past year is that what you're referring to as science is mostly bull#. not all of it a lot of great innovation and comforts have come out but as far as what they're willing to admit about the most fundamental aspects of reality and what a human being is and what we are capable of-yeah complete bull#

This idea that science is partly or mostly a failure often comes from those with an agenda. The agenda might be their religion. I recall opponents of the big bang being unhappy with a beginning to universes and therefore to reincarnated souls. Other agendas are like Crowthers and Drunvalo claiming access to arcanum about life and whatever.

Sometimes the criticism comes from those that refuse to learn. They can't be burdened with learning so they denigrate that which they avoid.

Science can tell us that only the Moon correlates with quakes and only a few low intensity types of quakes. Big quakes are not associated with any other celestial bodies - even the Sun. Science allows us to determine issues with a great deal of certainty without waiting to see if something happens.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Malynn

*rolls her eyes*

We get it. You're on a divine mission to clear the dust from all our eyes and bring us into the warm fold of your absolute knowledge of the universe. *huge grin and giant thumbs up*

Thanks dude! What would we do without you?

Please take the time to read the article I linked to and comment on whether or not you think that it applies to 2012 beliefs.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Pole shifts don't cause ice ages. We are talking about the magnetic pole, with the earth's axial alignment remaining stable. The magnetic poles do fluctuate, and move around, but the magnetosphere's primary purpose is to shield the earth from the radiation from the sun. It prevents us from being cooked.

So you are not talking about poleshifts. I didn't make up the term. It comes from Hancock. I just use the words as coined by whomever.

The magnetospher does not prevent us from being cooked. It deflects charged particles. EM is not charged and is not deflected by the magnetic field.

Volcanic activity causes ice ages, when the airborne ash prevents solar radiation from heating the earth.

Both are unpredictable events.

Volcanic activity can actually heat up the Earth by discharging gasses such as CO2. Short term coolling can be followed by long term heating. The Earth has been frozen solid several times. It is believed that the way out of the ice times was due to volcanic eruptions.

Precession is the movement of the earth's axial alignment, but it occurs over a 26,000 year span, so there's nothing abrupt that occurs and the planet slowly goes through changes.

It's the sudden abrupt changes that really hurt.

Ice ages are more likely due to changes in the tilt of the Earth which is not the same as precession.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggmoneyme

How IRONIC the fact you can post that science is bull on the internet is due to science

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join