It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The perils of debunking the hoax of 2012

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

then a positive change would be nice. I doubt either scenario to happen, so we'll just have to keep dragging along through the mud.

You have to admit, though, that putting an end to all the 2012 disaster ideas would be positive.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by tucker81

I too am always amazed how baseless "conspiracy theories" are perpetuated so long but valid conspiracy theories get thrown under the rug. I do believe that a lot of these ridiculous theories are encouraged by the sock puppets or psy-op guys.

Please, please, please read the article. There are lots of conspiracy theories mentioned in the article and a discussion of the appearance of false ideas about the ideas and the source.

I finally read the article. I didn't realize it was a psy-op. This part was funny:

"Similarly, many in the Arab world are convinced that the destruction of the World Trade Center on Sept. 11 was not the work of Arab terrorists but was a controlled demolition"

I guess I am one of the dumb ones that doesn't understand how a bunch of guys from desert caves came to America and took over Boeing superjets with boxcutters. That sounds like a ridiculous conspiracy theory to me. Call me stupid I guess.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Its a revealing article.

It states if people hear a lie, they are most likely to believe what there told if it is repetitious. The Bush administration did its best to convince that Saddam was responsible for 9/11, so according to the article this is why so many Americans believe that Iraq and 9/11 are linked.

The article then goes on to state most who believe in a 9/11 conspiracy are Arabs.

When the administration was preaching a lie.

And that the government is active on the internet blogs attempting to teach the truth about 9/11 to these Arabs.

Makes you question what is real and what is fantasy.
edit on 14-6-2012 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

While I'm sure there is much more to the story than then official story that parts not hard to understand. They took flying lessons that's how they flew it. They didn't live in caves and it's easy to take over a plane with knives when everyone else is unarmed. Last but not least it wasn't a super jet

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Wars, famine, greed, ego, control,religions, lying governments. This seems right in some people eyes?

2012 is about ending all that! Not just some planet in the sky.

If people had the time to learn about religions, cultures and traditions you would find the same phenomenon.. They all believe in an "end", and this may be it.

If you think 2012 is about destruction and comets, then you watch too much movies my friend. The destruction has been made, in your wars and your minds. The only thing left is truth.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
An interesting article and study stereologist. It confirms what advertisers, media, governments, and con men, have known for centuries.

As with anything. Those who want to believe, will. Those who don't want to believe, will find a reason not to. The rest of us will wait until we collect enough data to give us a reason to do either.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX

While I'm sure there is much more to the story than then official story that parts not hard to understand. They took flying lessons that's how they flew it. They didn't live in caves and it's easy to take over a plane with knives when everyone else is unarmed. Last but not least it wasn't a super jet

So you believe the official "conspiracy theory." That makes you one of those terrorist conspiracy theorists, now doesn't it?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Awesome how you don't address anything I corrected you on, instead you waste space on the forum.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
Stereologist
This 2012 and Nibiru planet subject do fascinate you
never seen someone trying to debunk a subject so hard

Nobody can debunk them

Yes! If it is such an obvious hoax, then why does the OP feel the need to start this thread?

In fact, the OP has over 10,000 posts - how many of them involve debunking and how many are original thoughts? Almost all are debunking - almost none contain original ideas - isn't that odd someone joining this site just to debunk others ideas?

edit on 14-6-2012 by PlanetXisHERE because: epiphany

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Awesome how you don't address anything I corrected you on, instead you waste space on the forum.

I've run into so many of you guys on the forums, I don't have energy for another debate on the subject. I'm only 1 person. When your shift ends, you just hand off to the night shift and they go on forever. Been there, done that.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

With your whopping 18 posts, right?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

With your whopping 18 posts, right?

Correction, 19. By the way, when does your shift end?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

About the Same time you pass kindergarden.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
It seems interesting how such obvious hoaxes such as the following have what seems to be a never ending appeal.

1.Imaginary planets that will rip the guts out of the Earth
2.Ancient and modern prophecies
3.Unbelievable geological events
4.Weather that will raise the dead

The evidence for these ideas are often:
1.photos of lens flares
2.Personal claims of being gods, aliens, or connected to TPTB
3.Hoax websites
4.Fake prophecies

The ideas and the evidence are preposterous and weak or faked respectively.

I was doing a little research wondering how do ideas such as this get started. How do these things become true to some people? To most people these ideas of 2012 are nothing more than made up jokes. To a few they are the absolute truth.

I bumped into an article in the Washington Post about educational efforts that have sometimes backfired. The start seems to have been a difficult process of educating people about the flu vaccine. What seemed like a good idea backfired.

The CDC makes up a pamphlet and lets people read it. It simply gives true and false labels to “myths” about the flu. It seems that after only 3 days people had on average gotten 1 in 4 of the “myths” wrong. In other words, they mixed up the true and false.

It seems that pointing out the absurdity of ideas such as:
pointing a cell phone camera at the Sun and getting back an artifact in the photo is not evidence for an unknown planet
can lead people to believe that it must actually be an unknown planet.

So telling the truth even about obviously false ideas can make people believe more in these lunatic ideas.

www.washingtonpost.com...

As for me I am okay with that. I don't mind it that some people are simply going to get all messed up by the truth. That appears to be apart of human nature.

so... nothing is true. got it. my question then would be: what the hell are you even doing here? why not just watch your local news and read TIME magazine? are you just here to antagonize and call people stupid and crazy? i mean of course i realize how cool it makes you to disbelieve and debunk anything out of the ordinary, but do you sincerely have nothing better to do?
edit on 14-6-2012 by Urantia1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I guess some are waiting for the governments to come out and tell them the truth.. Good luck with that.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

my thoughts exactly. It's interesting to watch where people place their trust. As someone who studied sociology, the whole 2012 fiasco is fascinating to watch.

On one hand, is it a ploy to sell books and cash in? Certainly.

But on the other hand, is there something to all the ancient writings pointing to 2012? Perhaps.

We won't know until we get there. Just a few months away now. But even if nothing happens, it will only play into the hands of TPTB in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

While I don't presume to speak for stereologist or any other "serial debunkers" I can give you my reasoning. I'm regularly arguing for the official story on here but at the same time I probably read more books related to conspiracies and the paranormal than I do science books. I have a strong interest in the topics discussed on here but at the same time I have been trained as a researcher. I require more "evidence" than a blurry light in the sky or an interesting story. I'm also strong proponent of ATS' motto, Deny Ignorance, so when someone posts demonstrably false information I will call them out on it. So while I may come off as a debunker that is simply because the theories being posted on here don't have the evidence behind them to make me a believer. That does not however mean that I am not interested in the topics discussed on here. Plus, let's face it, ATS is one of the best sources for breaking news on the Net.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Deafseeingeyedog

The ACTUAL significance of 2012 is the idea that our solar system is transitioning from one galactic hemisphere to the other by passing through the galactic equator.

That is actually not happening. We won't pass through the galactic equator any time soon. Doesn't matter if we do.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

I guess I am one of the dumb ones that doesn't understand how a bunch of guys from desert caves came to America and took over Boeing superjets with boxcutters. That sounds like a ridiculous conspiracy theory to me. Call me stupid I guess.

Guess you have never been outside of the US because the people living in that part of the world are pretty worldly. They probably are more knowledgeable that a bunch of fuddy duddy kids in the US that are so self centered they don't think of the world outside of the US.

Going back to the article, the problem is that the fact that these people were responsible has become a false idea. After that the suggestion becomes that these are incompetent people because they live outside the US and that the Arab nations must be populated by troglodytes of low intellectual capacity and the simplicity of their attack method is not possible. They were smart, vicious, determined, and planned well.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

Yes! If it is such an obvious hoax, then why does the OP feel the need to start this thread?

In fact, the OP has over 10,000 posts - how many of them involve debunking and how many are original thoughts? Almost all are debunking - almost none contain original ideas - isn't that odd someone joining this site just to debunk others ideas?

I thank you for demonstrating to all of us how the article is so relevant to those that have this 2012 jones going. You see bringing forth truth as wrong. You gravitate towards and grasp like a drowning person on falsehoods.

This is great. You offer a spectacular demonstration of what the article discusses.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join