It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The perils of debunking the hoax of 2012

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
It seems interesting how such obvious hoaxes such as the following have what seems to be a never ending appeal.

1.Imaginary planets that will rip the guts out of the Earth
2.Ancient and modern prophecies
3.Unbelievable geological events
4.Weather that will raise the dead

The evidence for these ideas are often:
1.photos of lens flares
2.Personal claims of being gods, aliens, or connected to TPTB
3.Hoax websites
4.Fake prophecies

The ideas and the evidence are preposterous and weak or faked respectively.

I was doing a little research wondering how do ideas such as this get started. How do these things become true to some people? To most people these ideas of 2012 are nothing more than made up jokes. To a few they are the absolute truth.

I bumped into an article in the Washington Post about educational efforts that have sometimes backfired. The start seems to have been a difficult process of educating people about the flu vaccine. What seemed like a good idea backfired.

The CDC makes up a pamphlet and lets people read it. It simply gives true and false labels to “myths” about the flu. It seems that after only 3 days people had on average gotten 1 in 4 of the “myths” wrong. In other words, they mixed up the true and false.

It seems that pointing out the absurdity of ideas such as:
pointing a cell phone camera at the Sun and getting back an artifact in the photo is not evidence for an unknown planet
can lead people to believe that it must actually be an unknown planet.

So telling the truth even about obviously false ideas can make people believe more in these lunatic ideas.

www.washingtonpost.com...

As for me I am okay with that. I don't mind it that some people are simply going to get all messed up by the truth. That appears to be apart of human nature.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
You sir are in for a suprise!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Newagekid2012

If by that you mean that stereologist is in for a surprise when Planet X pops out from behind the sun just in time for Christmas then no, there won't be any surprise because that's not going to happen.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Elaborate, please.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Newagekid2012

A big surprise indeed

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

So telling the truth even about obviously false ideas can make people believe more in these lunatic ideas.
reply to post by stereologist

This is compounded by the paranoid assertion that absolutely all media and academia is controlled by the ethereal "powers that be"

I realize this is an unpopular position to take on this site, but finding the truth involves looking at each piece of evidence critically, and not brushing everything aside out of spite and fear because it's associated with something that may be in the control of some mysterious organization.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SolidGoal

www.youtube.com...

All of his videos are a wealth of knowledge

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Stereologist
This 2012 and Nibiru planet subject do fascinate you
never seen someone trying to debunk a subject so hard

Nobody can debunk them

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
It seems interesting how such obvious hoaxes such as the following have what seems to be a never ending appeal.

1.Imaginary planets that will rip the guts out of the Earth
2.Ancient and modern prophecies
3.Unbelievable geological events
4.Weather that will raise the dead

The evidence for these ideas are often:
1.photos of lens flares
2.Personal claims of being gods, aliens, or connected to TPTB
3.Hoax websites
4.Fake prophecies

I too am always amazed how baseless "conspiracy theories" are perpetuated so long but valid conspiracy theories get thrown under the rug. I do believe that a lot of these ridiculous theories are encouraged by the sock puppets or psy-op guys.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Nobody can debunk them

Nobody can prove them either!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NTellect

Got it.
See you in 2013.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Please elaborate. I am giddy with anticipation.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Stereologist
This 2012 and Nibiru planet subject do fascinate you
never seen someone trying to debunk a subject so hard

Nobody can debunk them

Did you read the article? It is fascinating because if the article pertains to 2012, then I am likely to be named the source of some of the mistaken ideas about 2012.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tucker81

I too am always amazed how baseless "conspiracy theories" are perpetuated so long but valid conspiracy theories get thrown under the rug. I do believe that a lot of these ridiculous theories are encouraged by the sock puppets or psy-op guys.

Please, please, please read the article. There are lots of conspiracy theories mentioned in the article and a discussion of the appearance of false ideas about the ideas and the source.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Can't believe you haven't been called a "paid shill" or "disinfo agent" yet.

Lol.

Good article find.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
why dont you let a short amount of time debunk this theory for you/..... until then.,, whats the point in trying?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

I just want this date to come already so we can see. If this is *it*, then, this is *it*. I personally can care less. I am just a poor person. I honestly hope that if cataclysmic demise is coming, that ground zero is in my backyard because I have no desire to live in a Mad Max, Book of Eli, or The Road world with roving bands of miscreant sub-humans living for the next exploit. I'll tell you some tragic stuff, I am secretly hoping it is the end. I hate the world. But, logically, I realize we have a ways to go more than likely. Boo hoo. Waah.
edit on 14-6-2012 by HoppedUp because: edit

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Very interesting article. I would say a lot of it when it comes to 2012 is people want to believe it. They are addicted to fear.

"digital outreach" teams working to counter misinformation and myths by challenging those ideas on Arabic blogs."

I wonder if these "teams" are on ats as well?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by HoppedUp

I just want this date to come already so we can see. I this is *it*, then, this is *it*. I personally can care less. I am just a poor person. I honestly hope that if cataclysmic demise is coming, that ground zero is in my backyard because I have no desire to live in a Mad Max, Book of Eli, or The Road world with roving bands of miscreant sub-humans living for the next exploit. I'll tell you some tragic stuff, I am secretly hoping it is the end. I hate the world. But, logically, I realize we have a ways to go more than likely. Boo hoo. Waah.

I could have wrote that. I don't necessarily completely want the world to end but if it's not going to be obliterated on December 21, then a positive change would be nice. I doubt either scenario to happen, so we'll just have to keep dragging along through the mud. Blah.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
The ACTUAL significance of 2012 is the idea that our solar system is transitioning from one galactic hemisphere to the other by passing through the galactic equator.

www.zengardner.com...

My theory is that the gas clouds voyager picked up is actually the belt of energy that runs around the galaxy like saturns rings.

What happens when we pass through it is the real question.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join