It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Once in 50 years storm UK

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Runcorn Area here.....What is the local term...lol....spittin right now.....16:33...not much wind but it could all change...In Canada when i was living in the Cariboo...we used the "wait Five Minutes" cause that is how fast the weather would change....But at least here in England it seems..."how's the Weather"...Well we have loads of liquid sunshine....Also did anyone notice the day of the flooding in Wales......"HOSE PIPE BAN LIFTED"
edit on 103030p://f37Friday by plube because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
The Sun is attempting to break through in Cardiff.
The wind has risen a lot thought .
Note to self , leave brolly in work or risk a "Mary Poppins."

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
OK, it's just started hoofing it down here on the west coast of Cumbria, with hailstones.....hailstones in June, yeah...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I'm in Manchester here, Went outside to fix my car today been having major problems it started hammering it down just after I lifted the bonnet (hood) I thought sod it and carried on, glad I did as I fixed my motor runs like a dream now, got very wet though, now its stopped raining and the suns out typical.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
It's not a once in 50 year storm - in fact not even as bad as the storm at the end of last week that brought the flooding to West Wales. It was never expected to be.

As usual, the media, never known to let facts get in the way of a good fantasy, misquoted out of context a guy from the US Weather Channel (who admittedly was also wrong in what he actually did say). The likes of Nathan Rao at the Daily Express made up more nonsense for fun and the result is that now folk will be saying "why did the forecasters get it wrong?" ....

The only thing that is vaguely true in recent media stories is that taking rainfall, temperature and sunshine all into account, it has been a pretty dismal spell of weather.

The Guardian are one of the better media outlets when it comes to reporting weather, and my friend Bren has been accurately reported here:

www.guardian.co.uk...

I totally agree with him (but don't tell him!!!)

And a friend of a friend, George Monbiot, has a very good piece here:

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tport17

wrong-o mary-loo, speak for yourself. The whole US is not hotter nor dryer. In texas this time last year we were already into our record breaking 70 days straight of three digit temps and no rain nor relief in sight. This year, no hit 100 yet(thanks for this) and we have rain a plenty(thanks again) and we have had mind blowing hail storms destroying car after car and home after home.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Suspira better explain the 'sexual shed' soon before my imagination goes over the top

I read, a while ago (not sure if it was Sunday Times or New Scientist) that climate change would cause Britain to have wetter, stormier summers.....................I rest my case!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psychoparrot
Suspira better explain the 'sexual shed' soon before my imagination goes over the top

I read, a while ago (not sure if it was Sunday Times or New Scientist) that climate change would cause Britain to have wetter, stormier summers.....................I rest my case!

I'm wondering about the SS too

That story you mention I think was an addendum to suite our part of the world.

May be the questions we should be asking is why the Met forecasts always rattle on about the jetstream (air), without the inclusion of the gulf stream, (warm water currents) and where, or rather why have our warm westerlies gone? they may aknowledge a lack of westerlies in a localised fashion, (blocking) but not the nearly becoming long spell of absence.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Well i need to re-felt my shed roof because the wind decided it was urgently needed else where
And i was also thinking that if the Jetstream does not push it self back further northwards we are going to have a really harsh winter as the UK is on about the same latitude as Canada & Russia without the jetstream bringing warmer air to the UK during the winter in theory we should get the same weather as Canada & Russia
Do you think the UK could handle 10 foot of snow
I don't

Cran

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
50 year storm has anyone seen Bohdi?

"Look at it! It's a once in a lifetime opportunity, man! Let me go out there and let me get one wave, just one wave before you take me in. I mean, come on man, where I am I gonna go? Cliffs on both sides! I'm not gonna paddle my way to New Zealand! Come on, compadre. Come on!" - Bohdi

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB
Its my birthday... Of course its going to rain!... Last year there was a blood moon.... Is someone trying to tell me something???

Yeah, me. Happy Birthday, Evan B.!!!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Wave goodbye to the UK Summer

Prepare for Winter

Cran

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy
May be the questions we should be asking is why the Met forecasts always rattle on about the jetstream (air), without the inclusion of the gulf stream, (warm water currents) and where, or rather why have our warm westerlies gone? they may aknowledge a lack of westerlies in a localised fashion, (blocking) but not the nearly becoming long spell of absence.

Because it's the jet stream that determines whether Atlantic depressions track NW between Scotland and Iceland (giving us 'warm westerlies' in England) or across the south of the country as is happening this year (and indeed happened in 2007). The gulf stream doesn't move and has little bearing on our weather, other than sightly modifying the temperature of any returning Arctic air in winter (cold air travelling over a warmer ocean warms up, so that we get rain rather than snow)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Cheers mate!

I got VERY drunk and fell over, and cant remember what the weather was like so a good day indeed! lol

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I can't say it's a bad thing for me, I hate warm/hot weather so i'm finding it all quite pleasing! I just hope it stays this way and we don't get a mad hot couple of weeks near the end of summer!

If I remember rightly wasn't it like this a couple of summers ago?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by cranspace

I don't think the south could handle it, but up here in the north we are used to harsher weather, 10 foot of snow would just mean a bigger snowman for the kids.

That plus the further south you get the more built up the cities are, which probably doesn't help.

Personally, I love the snow, I love cold weather, can't stand the heat.

I would post the pic of the awesome snowman I built last time, but I posted it once before and got a severe T&C violation sticker slapped on just because I gave the snowman a "third leg" and a couple of snow balls.

(Hey, I may be 32 years old, but the snow brings out the child in us all!)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
truly, this has been an abysmal summer so far. even by uk standards. wonder if the olympics will be granted a reprieve form the worst of it?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
OK, it's just started hoofing it down here on the west coast of Cumbria, with hailstones.....hailstones in June, yeah...

Hailstones are quite normal for a summer storm. They aren't to be associated with winter or "cold weather". As it happens, it's quite a nice day at the moment and even with the wind/rain last week it has been average temperatures. Granted, tomorrow is going to be soggy!

It's just weather and, to be honest, it isn't the worst June I can remember. 2007 was a damned site wetter, if anyone can remember that far back

Current long range forecasting is saying that the end of June and July are going to get into the mid to high 20's though so don't panic, although it will still be a little unsettled.

It always amuses me when people get funny about a week or so of bad weather. We live on an island on the same latitude as Newfoundland in Canada, situated between the North Atlantic and North Sea, two of the most unfriendly sea's going. You should be surprised we get any nice weather at all!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Citybig

Originally posted by Suspiria
plus a sexual shed and greenhouse to get up.

I have to ask, what exactly is a sexual shed?

It's actually one of those concrete sectional garages. But I prefer to call it a sexual shed because I am silly.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Fibber!

You're just panicking now because you have revealed too much

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join