It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher kicked out of school for teaching students who the President is

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Makes more sense now. If she had no Democrats then that would be wrong. If she had all of them and added Bush, whats so bad? He is the presient, like him or not you cannot deny that. Its a fact. The worst part was them wanting her to add Kerry, he is'nt even president.

But it could've been worse, some wacko parent could've demanded Saddam's mug be put up.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 07:29 AM
link   
The right thing to do in the case of the teacher, is make a new bulletin board that says "America's dictators" and put Bush as the 1st dictator, not the 43rd president! 43rd president is inaccurate, seeing as he was never actually "elected", and is turning America into a tyrranical police state that is feared by the rest of the world.

Boy oh boy I'm so excited, it's our very first psychopathic dictator! I want a photo-op!

[edit on 5-10-2004 by lilblam]

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by lilblam
The right thing to do in the case of the teacher, is make a new bulletin board that says "America's dictators" and put Bush as the 1st dictator, not the 43rd president! 43rd president is inaccurate, seeing as he was never actually "elected", and is turning America into a tyrranical police state that is feared by the rest of the world.

Boy oh boy I'm so excited, it's our very first psychopathic dictator! I want a photo-op!

[edit on 5-10-2004 by lilblam]

Comments like this gives the Democrats a bad name. It's no wonder my friend Jodi calls the Democrats, the Dims. Lilblam whether you like it or not George W. Bush was elected as the 43rd President of the United States. Just as Bill Clinton was elected as the 42nd President. They were both elected the same way, by the electorial college system we use. Your claims of the President stealing the 2000 election is flawed, maybe you should ask Al Gore how he lost his own home state? Or maybe you should ask why thousands of voters voted twice, both in New York and Florida. Funny thing is that the majority of these were Democrats. My Dad and Mom raised me to respect the office of President and the men who hold that position, While I did not like President Clinton, or approved the way he did things, I never would say the things about him, that you have said about President Bush. You obviously do not have respect for the office of the President. Let me ask you, are you a Kerry supporter or are you an anybody but Bush person?

kix

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Why is it ..that when someone bashes Bush they automatically get labeled as a Kerry (or Democrat) supporter? So any critic of the actual government of the US is automatically a liberal or a commie?

ops I forgot you live in a Bipartisan kingdom....my mistake...

spelling

[edit on 5-10-2004 by kix]

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Kix, as far as I know the only people who claim that Bush was not elected President are democrats. If that is not the case then I apologize, however, I'm willing to bet the person who wrote about Bush being a dictator is a democrat. You can disagree with the government and you can protest and say what you want. That's what America is all about. The Liberals love to say that they can say anything they want, but when a conservative says anything, it's their mean spirited, hateful, and are a scourge on American society. I respect your right to say what you want, but you don't respect mine? I call the person out because I thought they were wrong in thier analysis. I never claimed that they were Un-American.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I don't care if there were no pictures of Dem Presidents or not. A teacher lost thier job over this complete BS non-issue
I feel bad for the students who's parents actually thought that the only way to make it fair is to put up a pciture of Kerry who isn't even a president at all. Not this teacher may have been technically wrong for not including the other presidents in the bulliten board, but is it wrong still to have a picture of our curent president. Hate him or love him, he's still the pres and he is still part of American political history. Sad thing is, in public schools today, half od the students couldn't even point out who the current pres was if they had a bulliten board of every president on it in front of them. But that's another issue. Shame on the principal and the board for firing someone who's only crime was that they may or may not have made an error in judgement.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
First, new rule: READ ALL SOURCES LINKED BEFORE YOU POST!!
People thinking this women got fired, that it was a non-political move, etc.

Look, the fascist element on the right is a very strong one. Don't get offended, fascist is not Nazi, but an extreme political perspective omnipresent in Western poli structures.
This is simply another example of that over zealousness on the Right - this teacher has obviously made her politics known in a vocal way to her management & put out a visual to reinforce that perspective.....in a medium that should stay unadulterated from her perspectives. We never had a selective potrait chronology in school; why would a real teacher put up such a thing? You either show the sitting president or you show the list
Reference the principal tearing up/removing anti-war student art work, or the guns drawn school raid photos, both here on ATS. Again, fascism is alive & well & in power in America.

FASCISM: any movement, tendency, or ideology that favors single party government, centralized control of private enterprise, repression of all opposition, and extreme nationalism

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I doubt I would have cared much either way if I was a student of her's, but it's obvious it made some students / parents angry enough to ask for her to remove it, so she should have done so. She is an ENGLISH teacher, not a history teacher. It's her job to educate her students on the subject on English, not United States' history.

This wasn't something that happened over night; she herself admitted that students were asking her about her political affiliation, and using class time to ask her other various political questions which she refused to answer. So it was clear it was causing a disruption. For all of these reasons, the principal asked her to remove it. She refused. Hmmmmm. Sounds less historical teaching and more like political reasons now, eh? If it were not a political statement on her behalf, she would have seen that her lil' bulletin board was an unnecessary distraction, and simply removed it for the sake of her students. But she didn't.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
www.sbschools.org...

The board of education's view....

The only thing that bothers me is the simplistic way the student asked, as attributed in the Tribune article. Asking "You like Bush? He killed people." Are they really having it taught that way to them? I read that Kerry actually DID kill people in free fire zones and such. Bush hasn't killed anybody (that we know of) with his own hand. So I guess the Kerry supporters are teaching their kids, not about terrorism or war or what's actually happening, but just that Bush is a killer. I think kids should be given facts and allowed to explore their feelings about it in a non-partisan way instead of having politics fed to them like religion.

(And to save some typing for the normal Bush Bashers, yes he waged war, blah, blah, blah, ad nauseum, amen. The validity of the war is not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about the fact of it and how it's presented.)

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   
my opinion...

this is wrong... they should leave her alone.

she hung the picture along side pictures of other presidents.. right ?

I see nothing wrong with it.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
But apparently it wasn't along side all the other presidents. Seems there might have been more to it than that according to the link I found above. There just shouldn't be politics in the classroom, just facts.

My question is... are the students liberal leaning enough to give false testimony against her in order to get rid of her due to either bad feelings of their own or pressure from liberal parents? Did she, knowing the liberal viewpoint of many parents, decide to try and sway them to the right?

A classroom full of students are basically a captive audience, forced to sit and listen to whatever comes out of the teacher for that time period. She's the authority figure in the room and if she talks about politics and shows a bias toward one party over the other, then the kids are in the position of either agreeing or disagreeing with the person who controls their grades. Not good.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Did a child ask to take it down? Was it such a scary picture that it needed to be taken down? I am so tired of "No Halloween decorations becasue it's pagan, no Christmas because I am atheist, no pledge becase I do not beleive in it."
We should not be scared of the next president, you should be scared of bieng accused of anything by thes self righteous soccer moms(and Dad's) who want to change the political agenda of a Elementary school.

It is not a picture of the first dictator either. He is the president of the United states. Pull the teacher aside and ask her to include all the presidents.

p.s. And why, can I ask, did these rere's ask for Kerry's picture to be added?

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
It's a public school so it has to be geared toward The Masses. If it's a Republican vs. Democrat display, it's a problem. A picture of the President with all the other Presidents is one thing. A picture of only Bush is still not a problem. But a picture of Bush as a personal decoration accompanied by (alleged) partisan commentary is a problem.

Something I'm curious about... if the parents only complained because they saw it during a school function, it seems that she might not have been preaching Republican politics. I think if that were the case, if she were trying to convert or recruit to the Bush camp, the parents would have been hearing about it long before this and would have complained.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
This thread actually demonstrates to me the greatest casualty of the ugly political climate in our country. In bickering about who's to blame, who has a partisan agenda, who should be on this teacher's wall, etc., we (and the parents, teachers, school administrators) have lost sight of the fact that this slimy political campaign has oozed into a place it never should have been allowed to: our schools.

I've seen news stories during this presidential race that range from funny to absurd to scary as the divisive nature of politics meanders into different areas of our society. This, however, is truly horrible.

While this teacher is strung up (whether it was her fault or not) an entire classroom of kids is being taught first hand the two adult lessons that have made our country and society so corrupt in the first place: Pick a side, and don't compromise. They should be learning English.

Personally, I blame every adult in this conflict for handling it this way. Schools all over this country have conflicts with their teachers and parents every day, and their first directive is (or should be) to resolve it without compromising the education of the students. Here, someone called the news, and now the politicos are going to fan the flames. Great job, America.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
"Great job, America."

Why "America" as a whole? America as a whole didn't do this. I think that kind of generalization is as much a problem as the other things you mentioned. I think politics should be discussed in schools, but in the appropriate class or as an extra-curricular activity. I don't see a problem with learning to make a choice and stand behind it. I don't even see a problem with the students witnessing this situation as it makes them know that partisan political agendas are not part of school life in the classroom. They'll all go home and talk with their parents about what's happened, and that's where I see the problem. If their parents are anything like some of the fanatics on this board, their minds will be efficiently and tightly closed to any notions or ideas other than what their parents are impressing upon them. "You like Bush? He killed people." That's what they are already being taught about politics, apparently. No better than letting it infest the school.

I think schools should encourage political involvement but keep it factual and not brainwash anyone into anything. The future generations might be the only ones who can break this 2 party rut our country is in.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join