It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Male Homosexuality Study: Gay Men Have Evolutionary Benefit For Their Families, New Research Suggest

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
[Bonobo - - other wise known as the "sex monkeys" - - actually they're chimps and our nearest relatives.

Bonobos are not Chimpanzees. They are closely related, sharing 99.6% of their genome but are, behaviorally, quite different. Humans share 98.7% of their DNA with both Chimpanzees and Bonobos.

SOURCE

Two African apes are the closest living relatives of humans: the chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes) and the bonobo (Pan paniscus). Although they are similar in many respects, bonobos and chimpanzees differ strikingly in key social and sexual behaviors, and for some of these traits they show more similarity with humans than with each other.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
New research? I remember reading about this a couple of years ago. Scientists must have trouble bringing food to the table these days if every re-run is presented as new.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

I knew it - it's all the fault of women!!

however what is even more interesting is -

While no one knows which genes, exactly, these might be, at least one of them appears to be located on the X chromosome, according to genetic modeling by Camperio Ciani and his colleagues. Males inherit only one X chromosome — the one from their mother — and if it includes the gene that promotes gayness in males and fecundity in females, he is likely to be gay while his mom and her female relatives are likely to have lots of kids.

so.......women who tend to have gay offspring also tend to have bigger families........now I'm thinking that a lot of fundies of all persuasions like to think they can breed their way to world domination - but the corollary seems to be that that will also result in them having more gay offspring.

If it is true then the irony is quite delicious!!

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

I had always postulated that homosexuality was a form of population control whose frequency increased as the general population increased. And it always increases with fundamentalism, so yeah, I've been laughing about fundies against homosexuality for years! Another reason their protest is comical: taboos are one of five elements crucial to sexual excitement - the more you say it's wrong, the more likely little Johnny is to try it out.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
What's really funny is how the fundamentalists throw such a fit over homosexuality. It exists in people and in the animal kingdom. So, by their logic, God must have made it. Are they questioning their idea of God by saying he shouldn't have made homosexualtiy??
Their lack of critical thinking skills is always entertaining to watch.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by chadderson
reply to post by ZombieJesus

I believe it is a choice in the sense that it goes against the human biology. This can be caused by one's own willpower or an imbalance in their body chemistry. Either way it is natural to be gay, but it is a negative trait in the sense that it goes against the entire purpose of the human body, to reproduce and continue the circle of life.

EDIT: But in a grander scheme, with a bell curve as an example... outliers exist in nature, perhaps nature must throw in a few defunkt specimens to keep the curve in proper shape and order? AKA: perhaps a gay man's life purpose is to inspire someone, not to pass on his gene and continue his seed.
edit on 14-6-2012 by chadderson because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-6-2012 by chadderson because: (no reason given)

I disagree with your labeling of homosexuality as a negative or detrimental trait. Everybody contributes to the species in his/her own way, and deriding homosexuality as a flaw is a bit narrow-minded. On the other hand, I admire your objective observations about what homosexuality might mean in the larger sense to the species.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
What's really funny is how the fundamentalists throw such a fit over homosexuality. It exists in people and in the animal kingdom. So, by their logic, God must have made it. Are they questioning their idea of God by saying he shouldn't have made homosexualtiy??

The issue of homosexuality is the ultimate Christian conundrum. Although in all honesty, I can't necessarily blame Christians for their often-skewed logic. After all, the Bible is filled with contradictory statements and ideals, not to mention ambiguities that are just completely open to interpretation. The simplest people lock onto the simplest ideals, and that's the basic foundation of these Fundamentalist Christian groups.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Thats actually pretty good, I will have to remember that

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

Absolutely - but of course htey have the ultimate justification - goddidit to tempt us so that only the worthy would find salvation (or some version thereof)

God is a curious creature - one the one hand supposed to be omnipotent but apaprently couldn't stop satan from "falling" nor A&E from biting the apple. Supposedly omniscient, but didn't foresee all that hapening.

Supposedly loving, but condemns people to eternity in hell for not falling in line with his plan - which isn't actually ever clearly stated anywhere 'cos apparently he only selects prophets (including Moh the man) who write in riddles and contradict themselves all the time......

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by draco49

Bonobos are not Chimpanzees. They are closely related, sharing 99.6% of their genome but are, behaviorally, quite different. Humans share 98.7% of their DNA with both Chimpanzees and Bonobos.

Fine with me. Good to know.

But - - it doesn't really change the point of the message in this thread.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Im pretty sure my friend Josh is SUPER gay, like...you could always tell he was gonna be fabulous

But he's a single child, and his moms family we're all killed by Saddam back in the 80's :/

I think its just random genetic mutation, it doesnt mean gays are mutants, they're brains just arent wired the same as a heterosexual male.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by 8fl0z

I think its just random genetic mutation, it doesnt mean gays are mutants, they're brains just arent wired the same as a heterosexual male.

Aren't we are all mutations in some way from the original human?

edit on 18-6-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

LOL I gotcha.... I had just finished reading an article about Bonobos and was feeling smart
You are correct tho... it doesn't change the point of this thread.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

LOL I gotcha.... I had just finished reading an article about Bonobos and was feeling smart
You are correct tho... it doesn't change the point of this thread.

You sure did. I admit I was being lazy. Which can always "bite" ya - - cuz you never know when someone will catch you.

I have watched documentaries on them and read up on them a couple times. No excuse.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

That we are. i have green/hazel eyes, and green eyes are a rare genetic mutation, so i guess im a mutant....FEAR ME!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by 8fl0z
reply to post by Annee

That we are. i have green/hazel eyes, and green eyes are a rare genetic mutation, so i guess im a mutant....FEAR ME!

I have green eyes too.

One of my daughters and a granddaughter inherited them.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join