It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The dancing bridge and other anomalies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
www.rt.com...

Down the drain in the rain: $1 billion highway washed away in Far East (PHOTOS)

The fall fo the Communist goverment in Russia, has not brought about an improvement in the production of the infrastructure................Perhaps it has even made things much worse......
Russians may no longer have to wait in lineups to buy toilet paper or other things,....but the shoddy and ill thought out projects and constructions (both in Russia and China) indicate that their is a mafia like control,
that sucks the value out of most anything they make or do.....Corruption bleeds the strength from their projects.
Forgive me if im wrong but ive been hearing about unused cities which china has built but nobody occupies.....
The reasons are not entirely clear to me but if it is true, it is just another example of the strange decisions these goverments seem to produce.....
Here in North America, at least, the shoddyness of infrastructure, comes not from new construction, but age....
It seems the standards of what is acceptable differ, yet steel and concrete anywhere have roughy the same qualities.....
Other large projects of many differing types, to my eye, seem to be by our standards ,lower grade or roughly hewn.......no?
Everyone knows a Wal mart chinese hammer is not an Estwing....(however they may be produced out of country by now as well....i still have my 30 r old one)
Point being, what is the result of al this low grade modernisation or infrastructure up grades if reallity tells us they wont last long?
We do it over here to at times, though not a frequently as elsewhere......
The upshot of all this it seems to me is that there is a crisis brewing further down timestream, where much of the newer better infrastructure which these countries have produced to get modernised, will simply begin to fail......and ....likeMurphy says, once they start will also begin to fail at a faster rate....Already cracks in the huge Chinese dam....
Right a a time when the pop. pressures will be at their most immensely urgent.....
India too, and other countries which are in similar straights, have also short cut building and engineering standards to get modernised.....these are serious problems which are not immediate, but are not the expected type of failures either.....The further into the third world the worse it seems as well....
My question for the peanut gallery is does anyonme else have a sense of trepidation about this trend?...or sense a looming problem here?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I feel the same as you do.
The problem is that money is the bottom line , Quality is not factored into tenders / quotes

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
The problem is more systemic....i think...
We somehow have lost our perspectives...things that should be built to last just arent built that way in the third world, and even in supposedly modern countries.....
I have a buddy whos an electricians electrician....smart as hell, and very well experienced in all phases of industrial electricity......
hes currently in a S American country...
Totally flabbergasted that most electricians down there cannot wire up a two switch hallway light. fer instance....
yet they are top wage earners in the country he works in....His comments are totally negative on how they build, how they design and how they work.....
he was working on an island putting in a huge freezer for a shrimp packing plant.....
They brought in a boatload of cement in a schooner......
Tied up at the plant, and started to unload it....first they piled the bags on the deck, and then they were gonna put them on the dock...but they put too much cement on one side of the deck and near capsized the boat.....
lost a bunch of bags over the side and took on a pile of water below....
ruining some more of it....
the horror stories do go on .....but im sure you get the drift......
How are we gonna house and feed everyone if they cant even do for themselves better than that....?
There are hundreds if not thousands of shoddily built facilities that will be deteriorating far more rapidly than one could imagine....
These are all over the world.....shouldnt we be a little more concerned?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by pillock
I feel the same as you do.
The problem is that money is the bottom line , Quality is not factored into tenders / quotes

So capitalism is what is causing the sub-standard construction? It's good to have a solid example of it for those who refuse to believe it.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Those things don't happen only in other countries, it happens in the US quite often. It's because inexperienced people are "taking charge" and don't know what they're doing. You could cover a hundred stories a day in the midwest (region I'm more familiar with, probably the same in all regions) alone due to "not thinking" by young, hard headed, "macho men" jumping in and doing something before thinking it through. They learn quickly and don't make the same mistake again.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I dont doubt this is pertly our problem too.....
I just believe that the rest of the poorer and less developed countries are by passing the stage where they actually do things properly, and going right iinto the shoddy work that will not last stage, because of the bleeding off of their real wealth by criminal or goverment influence, leaving bridges that dance,in the the wind,
dams that crack with the first floods they face, and other very poorly thought out and constructed monstrosities which have a short lifespan which will be disasterous to those who are at that end of it......
We too, have a serious infrastructure problem, which will take far more than we can afford to deal with....its called aging....
Steel, concrete, and other materials do have a useful lifespan, sfter which it is anyones guess when they wil fail.
Poor steel, and weak concrete have even shorter lifespans...
With all the current resources used to support miitary interventionism, and useless posturing,(as in floating billions of bucks worth of boats and men around the world to for just a show of force to intimidate....etc etc)
Are desperately needed to fix our own subways, bridges, hospitals,and other things like sewage, garbage, and run down neighbourhoods all over the USA.and the free world.
The massive faiures we face in terms of the life span of infrastructure and projected needs are staggeringly
beyond the total output of the entire human race....and it resources.....the pinch will be felt in ever increasing increments as failures mutiply.
Think of it ike a huge equation that does not balance out no matter how you figure it out!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I am a firm believer that we as a human race are becoming:

More united as well as divided
Vast reaching yet ever increasingly stagnant
Emotionally supportive because we're becoming more jaded
We all want change yet we seek others to do it.
Technology doesn't make a civilization more advanced, it makes a civilization more dependent on said technology so they focus more on the tech and not on the skills the tech replaced.

if we do not stop, we will all know how to use google, facebook, twitter and computers in general, yet we will need to build robots for basic things like farm and sew and such since we forgot how.
edit on 15-6-2012 by Moneyisgodlifeisrented because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Not sure but does this look familiar.....

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
It is all called capitalism...It is always about money....It is almost never about human safety....It comes down to bottom line....So i have to agree...It is systemic....but It is built into Capitalism....but Is it even more so systemic within a communist system I would imagine so...but is there the actual evidence showing this...i am not quite sure...but one needs to consider environment in this one would think...I mean Russia has some of the harshest weather conditions in the world to deal with....the major freezes and frosts are a never ending headache for any nation....Being from Canada i know how frost heaves affect road conditions each and every year.
edit on 103030p://f29Friday by plube because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join