It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CV-22 down at Eglin AFB

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
A USAF CV-22 Osprey belonging to the 1st Special Operations Wing, with five crew members on board has crashed at Eglin AFB Florida. It was on a training mission with another CV-22 when the crash occured. Three crew members were airlifted, and two were taken by ambulance. No word on their condition has been released.

A U.S. Air Force CV-22 Osprey, belonging to the 1st Special Operations Wing, of the Air Force Special Operations Command, crashed at around 18.45 LT on Jun. 13, 2012, on the Eglin Range, north of Navarre, Florida.

Five crew members aboard the tilt rotor aircraft were taken to local area hospitals. Two of them were taken by ambulance, while the other three were taken via air.

According to the first reports, the Osprey was involved in a routing training mission with another aircraft of the same type, when it crashed for reasons that a board of officials will investigate. An AC-130 flying nearby was spotted circling above the crash area to provide on-scene coordination of the rescue ops.

theaviationist.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Maybe it's unfair to judge this air frame from an outsiders position, but it seems like it's been a very large failure from the start. It just doesn't seem like it's worth it to keep trying to fly this incredibly ugly craft. Maybe I am just biased.

Praying for the crew and family members just the same.
edit on 14-6-2012 by network dude because: added thought.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

The Marines cheated to get a better safety record, but the safety record of the airframe with the Air Force has actually been really good to date. There have only been one or two accidents with AF airframes.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I see ospreys regularly coming south of Pendleton.

They always make me scratch my head when their in the air. They just don't look like a flying machine!

Thanks for the report Zaph.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

You're the second person in five minutes to say that to me. Hah! They really do look weird when they're in the air.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I agree. I hear people say they are safe, but I can think of several accidents off hand. I used to live adjacent to the range where this crash occurred, and I used to watch from my deck as the AC130 gunships fired at the range. (You NEVER hear of an accident with a C-130) I remember when they lost 11 (I think) crew members to an Osprey crashed in Kentucky or Tennessee after flying out of Eglin a few years ago.

Eglin's Air Accidents
edit on 14-6-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

The whole Tiltrotor System, is asking for failure. Rule number one in engineering, minimize the moving parts. The cv22 pretty much goes against that entire concept. Not to mention how heavy she is.

Things got a glide path of a rock.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

One of the biggest problems with the Osprey is that they had to cut the props down to fit on ships. That caused them to have to go to a higher powered engine, which has a hotter exhaust, and leads to other problems.

As for the safety record it really HAS gotten better in recent years. There have been a number of incidents and "minor" accidents only causing damage to the airframe. The current version is the "Osprey 2.0". They made a lot of changes from the prototypes to the final version that's flying now.

Four of the first six prototypes were destroyed in accidents, with a large loss of life in at least one of them, and one on its very first flight due to a wiring error in the flight controls. In 1993, a large number of changes were incorporated into the aircraft, making it safer. It will never be as safe as other aircraft, but it's much safer than it was during flight testing.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The Marines in Afghanistan like them. There have been some that have been shot-up and have gotten everybody home. In all fairness to the V-22, military aviation is a dangerous occupation.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I agree. I hear people say they are safe, but I can think of several accidents off hand. I used to live adjacent to the range where this crash occurred, and I used to watch from my deck as the AC130 gunships fired at the range. (You NEVER hear of an accident with a C-130) I remember when they lost 11 (I think) crew members to an Osprey crashed in Kentucky or Tennessee after flying out of Eglin a few years ago.

Eglin's Air Accidents
edit on 14-6-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

The Ospreys are a piss poor way to deliver troops to a battlefield. I suspect they finally learned that which is why they went for the superhueys. Now that was a fightin' machine.that got the job done with minimal fuss. There is no way an Osprey could have done what the Hueys did in VN. Whisking in and out of a battle area. No way. Unless you napalmed and carpet bombed the immediate area first. Have we not learned that RPGs are lethal to 'copters and they are about as common as the AK-47? Forget the armored Osyrey[s hydralics, etc. They will drop like flies in a real battle and take whole squads down with them..

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
It's being reported that two aircraft were on a gunner training mission on one of the ranges. The lead aircraft made a run, and when they turned they didn't see the second aircraft. After a short search it was found upside down and on fire. All five crew members survived with non-life threatening injuries.

Major Brian Luce, one of the pilots, was transported to Eglin Air Force Base hospital where he is listed in stable condition.

Captain Brett Cassidy, the second pilot, was transported to Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola where he is listed in stable condition.

Staff Sgt. Sean McMahon, flight engineer, was transported to Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola where he is listed in guarded condition.

Tech. Sgt. Christopher Dawson, flight engineer, was transported to Eglin Air Force Base hospital where he is listed in stable condition.

Tech. Sgt. Edilberto Malave, flight engineer, was transported to Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola where he is listed in stable condition.

www.nwfdailynews.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

thank god there ok,, upside down? wow,,

there was also mention of an Passanger Airliner that had Turbulence problems,,

crew
slammed too ceiling then floor

timming??
weather???

???
all ok,,though. and that is a good thing.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

I'm thinking they had a rotor/engine failure on one engine, and the power from the other rolled them before they could correct for it. With them being at low altitude they wouldn't have had long to correct for any kind of problem like that. That's pure speculation on my part though, with the crew being ok it shouldn't be long before we hear something.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
no autorotation capability, two engines driving two separate props with no mechanical linkage between engines. there needs to be some way to link the drive systems so that if one engine fails, auto rotation is still possible without dis-symmetry of lift or loss of tail rotor effect . albeit , a very low altitude auto rotation, because there would be very little rotor head inertia to start with. and forget about a power off landing all together. and if the variable pitch props work off of engine hydraulic pressure without an a.p.u. your just screwed anyway it goes. thats why they call it a thunder chicken, when its floppin around like a chicken with its head cut off on the tarmac, it makes a sound like thunder.

edit on 14-6-2012 by chopperswolf because: added text

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

One of the biggest problems with the Osprey is that they had to cut the props down to fit on ships.

so dont put them on ships???????????????????????

gee just saved the Pentagon 98769768758758 $,, lol

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by chopperswolf

There is a way to cross link the transmission so one engine can drive both propellors, and give them enough time to get it on the ground. The problem is that at low altitude things can happen so fast that they might not have time to crosslink them before they're in an unrecoverable situation.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

why not deploy
jet seat type ,no hydralics needed,,and completely self contained.
parachutes???huge parachutes
?
might help with the landing part.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome

why not deploy
jet seat type ,no hydralics needed,,and completely self contained.
parachutes???huge parachutes
?
might help with the landing part.

Why? Because the craft is a transport.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

low alt maneuvering probably leaves the engines very vulnerable to foreign object damage, i am not familiar with the turbine intake air filtration, but from photos, it dont seem like much, and the engines probably spin the props with air pressure only, probably a lag between power input and rotor response, but still, its an awesome machine even with its quirks, and it fills a roll that nothing else does.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

It really is an awesome machine, and aside from the Marines changing the rules to look better, it doesn't have nearly the horrifying safety record that people think it does since they made the changes to it back in the 90s.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join