It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Since You Hate America So Much. Get It Out Of Your System Here.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

i'd give you a star for being amusing, but I don't want to appear to agree with you.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Americans seem to have no problem criticizing (condemning?) their own country, but this is a world-wide website with respondents from everywhere on the planet (and a few other planets, if some are to be believed). So my question is, why have I not seen threads in which citizens of "Country X" criticize their leadership?

Is it because Americans are less willing to be trampled on and sit still for abuse?
If so, does that mean it's the rest of the world that are "sheep?"
Are people from other countries afraid of being tracked and punished by their governments?
Do other countries' citizens believe they are too meaningless for criticism to have any effect?

Why are people with an Anglo heritage so willing to examine themselves and their leaders? "Britons never, never, never, shall be slaves." Could that be it?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Pride it comes with the DNA. Look around the world, the proofs in the pudding.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
As a first generation American, I am not anti-American by any stretch of the imagination, but I have become incredibly disillusioned. There is the idea of what America is, and then there is the reality.

Here's what I truly dislike about America today: Our corrupt government, our fascist police state, our dishonest, manipulated elections, our press and media that is no longer "free", and the celebration of idiocy over intelligence, bullying over kindness, and selfishness over generosity. Suddenly we are afraid to speak the truth, and stand up for what is right. Waving the flag and cheering the troops has become necessary in order to prove that we are patriotic and love our country, no matter what that country does, what places it destroys, or who it has assassinated.

I was in an anti-war protest in 2007, and we were heckled, laughed at, had trash thrown at us, and insulted. The standard insult? If you don't like it, GTFO of my country. The antithesis of the Land of The Free. Hey, Goober, it's MY country too. I have children in the military. I was protesting to bring them home from a war that made ZERO sense. How does that make me a traitor?? Since when is exercising first amendment rights a sin?

The idea of America is like a religion, and you cannot question a religious belief without being branded a heretic and a traitor. We are sold a bill of goods that simply doesn't exist. Movies and the media have brainwashed us into believing a certain version of history. We are ignorant of the rest of the world and parade around imagining that everybody wants to be like us. The fact that the American people had no problem with our military invading countries which have done nothing to us, destroying those countries and killing innocent people (along with our own children dying needlessly so companies like Blackwater and Halliburton can make millions) absolutely blows my mind. We are told that our soldiers are over there "fighting for our freedom". Un-freaking-believable. And most Americans buy it, lock, stock and barrel. Because to face the truth would be too "upsetting".

I believe this says it best:

We have to go through the discomfort of facing our flaws in order to fix things for the better, but as long as people are defensive and close-minded, we will continue to devolve into a third-world banana republic, with nothing but memories of "remember when we had it all" to sustain us.

One of my favorite poems, which points out the flaws in any kingdom or government which considers itself to be omnipotent and infalliable:

Ozymandias

by Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792-1822)

I met a traveler from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal these words appear:
“My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!”
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

There is so much good about America: One of the most beautiful places on Earth, and some of the best people. We have a vibe about us that used to be honest, upright, forward-thinking and friendly. We haven't lost it yet, but it diminishes every day that we keep our heads in the sand and refuse to fight the evil which is rapidly overtaking us. The time for going and voting is over. We are past that now. We have let it go too far, and only when we band together as one and say "NO MORE" will it stop. Otherwise, in the future, there will be a chapter on America in a history book: The Rise and Fall of A Once-Great Nation.

I love this country, the real America, and I fear for its demise, much as a concerned friend cares for somebody who obviously has a fatal disease and won't face up to it in order to get cured.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I am not that happy how our country is being run...I am semi unemployed just making ends meet... but I see most of the world is in trouble. So I thank god for what I have...people should dis like the government ect,ect....But NOT the people! A majority of people I know are first or second generation here, like myself. My Grand parents moved here to make a better life for there family's.
My Swedish side came over in the late 20's...I mean the entire family, 2 dozen. They were mostly tool and die makers. Within 15 years they started there own businesses that employed and taught many people. My Great Uncle started in 1937 the first Plastic ejection molding plant in the U.S. The business tripled during WW2. Two of his son's died in WW2, one a tail gunner in a B-17 the other at Normandy
My father's side escaped Hungry during WW1...only my Grandparents made it out.The rest was killed by the Germans.My uncle flew B-25's... almost went on the Doolittle raid be got a deviated septum and could not go.
But did over 30 combat mission's in the pacific theater.
My father Korea, My cousins Vietnam...two years younger I would have probably been over there...I did not like the war but would have done my duty.
As for me a second generation American I was a Volunteer Fireman for 30 years (80% and more are Volunteer in the U.S. for no pay) I worked a week at 9/11 and saw it all.
What I am getting at me and my family would not hesitate to help another country in need...If I got the call I would go!
That uncle of mine that few B-25's later became a big shot in the Red Cross, in the sixties he was in charge of all of Europe.
You can knock our Government but NOT the people.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Might as well...

I hate how Americans think that Canadian say "Eh?" after every word. i here it maybe 2-3x a day, and its usually an older person. Young people do use it but not as much.

I Hate how American think that every single Canadian should know about hockey and must love it. i only watch the major games like most of the people i know.

I Hate how Canadian know more about Americans than Americans know about Canada.

I hate how American bash Canada from one stupid thing some retards did at Vancouver after game and say "See Canada is violent too"

Thats it for now

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

well, if you guys made better beer we might like you more.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by aaaiii

What!!? Our beer is insane!

American beer is like frkin water! Try a Canadian beer and you wont go back!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

or

I hate how canada sends us their weather in winter.

I hate how canada sent us celine dion.

I hate how canada talks so funny.

I hate canada period, except that i'm lying about hating canada.

b.t.w., I drink german beer

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
did I murdalize the thread?

where'd everybody go?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by n00bUK
Tell you what i'v noticed, its mostly Americans which make threads about their own country, good or bad - most of the time the author is American....

This thread is just bait for trolls, leading to innocent people getting caught up in the trollowar which later leads to infractions and bans

To make the long thread short, the conclusion is this:

Like most countries in the world, your government are corrupt assholes. How you are portrayed overseas is bad, over weight, war mongering dummies (in short) But we all know, that's bollox - Just like we (UK) are not all bent teeth, tea drinking toffs.

This thread has a stupid beginning, a ridiculous middle and I honestly cant see it ever ending.

I'm not baiting trolls or anything of that nature. That's why I stated in the OP that I would not argue with anyone. I just want honest opinions of why people hate america so much other than the usual generalized reasons. But thanks for the input.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ATScory
reply to post by usmc0311

Where do you live in southeast Michigan? I live in troy, I love it here. But I think people hate our government. You cant hate a giant piece of tectonic plate that has imaginary borders.

I live out just west of Ann Arbor out in the country. Love it here as well.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I think everyone else for the most part is too busy hating us. lol who knows, maybe it's because we take our constitutional rights seriously here in America.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

very nicely put. Thanks for the contribution.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by aaaiii

I think there must be a lure of the forbidden. If as a kid, you're invited to smoke one of your Dad's cigars it's not as much fun as sneaking one and going out back.

Here we've invited people to criticize the US and their own countries, so it's not as much fun. Some people don't get the same feeling of "Look at me, I'm edgy and brave mocking the Eagle."

By the way, you're comment:

still has me smiling. You did touch a nerve. (I think "Blue" was my first beer.)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I love Canada. I also live close to there though so I get to see more of it and interact with more Canadians than others. Also when I used to drink, I always drank Canadian beer.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I don't have room in my heart for hate.

That being said, I hate olives and clowns.

Actually, clowns just scare me. So does the dark.

But to stay on topic;
I was raised in England. Or Britain. (depends on the thread)
I was schooled in London. My mother is British.

So As a mutt (or bastard, I've been called both) I see America differently.

At the age of 18 I chose the Air Force instead of the RAF. (they paid better)

Funny enough, I was stationed in East Anglia. Just a train ride home.

But I always went back to the States.

There is an arrogance. A John Wayne attitude that I admire. Because it is couched in inocence as well.

How can America be both?

Americans don't realise what they have. They don't realise their potential. They can do, be, ANYTHING!

-wow-

The fact that they don't actualise their full potential frustrates many overseas.

America the mundane, could be America the fracking Awesome, if the people actually tried.

People see what they want to see. Some see fat. lazy, loud mouths.

I see potential.
edit on 14-6-2012 by beezzer because: spelling

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I love America and I love Americans, I always have, and I always will.
I was a 7 year old Canadian kid drawing X-71's with giant American flags on them.

what I don't like is the mindset the nation currently finds itself in on several different fronts with no way out except a system restore. way too many deep seeded divisions all over the place, absolutely NO unity.

it is no longer the UNITED states of America. but just a bunch of places we call states where people live to kill or be killed, and to avoid confrontation with the federal state at all costs.

The government should be something we fully embrace, and has OUR best interest at heart, for now it is something that can RUIN YOUR LIFE.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Sorry, usmc0311, I'll have to respectfully and politely disagree with you.....

*America is a damn fine country, and so are the majority of its people. Like any country, there are bad apples, and social problems....and not forgetting corrupt politicians, which all nations are stuck with...

( * ALMOST as good as Great Britain....cue " Land of Hope and Glory...)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I think a big reason why most people don't like the USA is, that this country forces itself onto everything and into every country. I don't speak about war i speak about the "american lifestyle". Is there even one country left that isn't invaded from american junk food like McDonalds and Pizza Hut? Coca Cola? I remember when Wal Mart tried to enter Germany, they made it very clear, they are american and better than us, their way of shopping is better than our way and we should just stop using our own supermarkets. In the end it backfired horribly after hundreds of millions lost they ran away

I don't hate the USA, i've been to that country about 25 times by now, i drive an american car and i love american whiskey but i don't like the whole "We're the best, we rule this planet and all other countries either have to follow us or get bombed into oblivion" attitude.
Also the government is a big problem, not just the President and his crooks but it goes down to the Mayors of the cities (do i need to say more than "Kwame Kilpatrick" and "Detroit"? I've been to Detroit quite a few times and the City turned from "not really nice looking" to basically the alternate Hill Valey version from Back to the Future 2)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join