It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court strikes down law banning Gaddafi 'glorification'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Finally good news from Libya.

www.straitstimes.com

TRIPOLI (AFP) - Libya's supreme court on Thursday struck down as 'unconstitutional' a law passed at the start of May that banned glorification of slain leader Muammar Gaddafi.

'In the name of the people, the court has decided on the unconstitutionality of Law No 37,' the head of the court's constitutional chamber announced at a brief hearing.

(...)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by uesvaje

Extremism benefits no one. When will people learn this? Live and let live. It's not that hard to do. It's a lot easier than being a besserwisser. In the end, no one has the right to tell anyone else what they can or cannot believe. That is for each and every person to decide within their own hearts.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by uesvaje

Welcome to the world of being a sheeple.stupid libyans.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Glorification of a mass murderer?

By all means, let it be so.

The next generations do need to know how a beast had ruled the nation.

If the bootlickers of the mass murderer gaddafi are celebrating, let them do so.

There is no way to whitewash the tragic and merciless deaths to thousands of innocent unarmed men, women and children under him and his regime, the way that there is no way to wash away the crimes to humankind of russia's Stalin and now inheritor Putin, germany's Hitler and now economic leader Merkal, China's Mao and now current CCP gov, Iran's perfidal apostate Ayatollah with his finally admittance to funding the murders of innocents around the world by misuing a peaceful muslim religion.

It's always good to know who are the ones glorifying those demons. At least, then mankind can know who they are and be wary, for themselves and their future generations.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Glorification of a mass murderer?

Gaddafi was no murderer, if you could please explain in what ways were the libyans been oppressed by Gaddafi again?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

How many US leaders have roads, ships, monuments, schools, national parks, etc., etc., etc., named after them? Don't say it's not the same thing. It is. Don't say they're not mass murderers. They are. Every single last one of them. There is probably not a nation on Earth or a leader thereof that hasn't committed some treachery against its people. Go ahead and wish it weren't so but you're kidding yourself.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

If one cannot differentiate defending oneself, one's loved ones from merciless deaths, FROM outright MURDERS of innocents of unarmed men, women and children, then one has indeed lost his/her own moral conscience.

The mass murderer Gaddafi and his supporters had lost theirs.

Have you lost yours?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

You still haven't answered my question.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Sooooo you're saying that you see all American leaders as acting purely out of benevolence for their citizenry. Is that right? So they can kill *other* people and that's okay.....right? Tell me again about how the West was won. Tell me about the people who weren't sterilized in the early part of the last century and right up to the mid-70s. Tell me about how the slaves of whatever ancestry were treated well and not sold like barnyard animals. Tell me about how the police in the US are not violating the rights of the people and killing them for exercising their right not to be detained without cause. Tell me how the MSM doesn't exaggerate the conditions in other parts of the world to justify their presence while your children are their cannon fodder. All in the name of freedom. Tell me 9/11 wasn't done by the government of the USA.

I sooo look forward to this.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

There is no question addressed to me. Would you perhaps like to ask it "again" since I obviously have something wrong with my eyes?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

How many US leaders have roads, ships, monuments, schools, national parks

George Bush park
USS GW Bush
Source

Highway named after bush

In other Countries.

Source

You were saying Seeker?
As for the monuments, monuments usual build when a person, as for why Gaddafi had one did you see and remember what kind of achievements he has done for Libya?

The Great Manmade River? thats just one of the achievements.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
[
Sooooo you're saying that you see all American leaders as acting purely out of benevolence for their citizenry. Is that right? So they can kill *other* people and that's okay.....right? Tell me again about how the West was won. Tell me about the people who weren't sterilized in the early part of the last century and right up to the mid-70s. Tell me about how the slaves of whatever ancestry were treated well and not sold like barnyard animals. Tell me about how the police in the US are not violating the rights of the people and killing them for exercising their right not to be detained without cause. Tell me how the MSM doesn't exaggerate the conditions in other parts of the world to justify their presence while your children are their cannon fodder. All in the name of freedom. Tell me 9/11 wasn't done by the government of the USA.

I sooo look forward to this.

One issue at a time. We can drag out all past issues irrelevant to this thread and derail it. Let it be answered on another thread.

To justify your angst - mistakes do happen. Dare you call yourself perfect? Ultimately, only by mistakes and correcting them can mankind progress and evolve. Had USA not admitted to its mistakes and changed? Had not the american public stood up as one and voice its anger over policies that were detrimental to the nation's and humanity's well being? Where were you all this time?

But had despotic nations does the same, uphold the same standards you hold for USA? NONE that one can see.

This thread is about Gaddafi. Live and let live is a noble aspiration. I would have love to see Gaddafi faced humanity's justice, for his crimes against mankind. We live in a civilisation, upon agreed rules of law. Those who break them will have to face human justice and in his own time, redemption if he has remorse or retribution if he refused to acknowledge his crime, from our Creator. None can ever hope to escape.

But he was dealt by his own people, its own form of justice or perhaps within a divine made opportunity, comprehensible in the light of what he had murderously done to his own innocent unarmed citizens - men, women and children, whom pleaded for succor from him but was met by hails and storms of bullets from him by his animals under his orders.

As to any further injustices you presume that exists, we only need to reach out to each other and many others to discuss and find solutions, while still possible, to save more innocent lives, with foresight and not hindsight or unfounded past accusations that serves nothing to the realities we face or are facing .

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

This thread is about Gaddafi. Live and let live is a noble aspiration. I would have love to see Gaddafi faced humanity's justice, for his crimes against mankind. We live in a civilisation, upon agreed rules of law. Those who break them will have to face human justice and in his own time, redemption if he has remorse or retribution if he refused to acknowledge his crime, from our Creator. None can ever hope to escape.

I am sorry but that's not the answer i was looking for, your proving to be either a troll or someone who cant have a rational conversation with.

And what were Gaddafi crimes? for defending his people against the backed American Islamists? on who you support so much?
edit on 14-6-2012 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Was I replying to you in this thread? That's all that I will comment to you here.

May no one else answer on my behalf to that person. Let him, by my ignoring of him be my reply. Truths are self evident, but for some, there are none so blind that only they have no wish to see, prefering the comfort, angst and hurts of past and delusions.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Your country is still paying GW Bush and friends their pensions. They were good for America and Americans. And they got in by legal vote! Both times.

Gaddafi was loved, whether you accept that or not. I know that because I worked in defense diplomacy and after their posting at our embassy, they went to Tripoli. They were very complimentary about the whole country and everything in it.

There would be many, many, many more people toppling GW's statue if he were so brazen as to erect one. I doubt he could....erect one. And I feel sure that his head would be a most sought-after treasure for the people's dinner. Think about that. Look at your leaders. Look carefully.

What GW did and what is happening now in your very own backyard (you know they're deploying drones in your airspace, right?) is going to be the mark of your great leaders. They are coming to get you. Welcome to the world of the despot.

You obviously believe your own nation's propaganda. There is no nation in the world that does not harm its citizens. Read that again so you understand it.

Now, whether you think this is about Gaddafi or not is your prerogative. It is really about being told who you may or may not chose to admire. The court gave the people the right to admire their former leader. That is all that happened. You have no evidence of anything else other than what the press told you, and that is seriously devoid of any credibility. No nation's leaders go without harming their citizenry.

However, so that you understand things a little better, I suggest you read even just Wikipedia's concise report on the deceased's life and times. You will see, I hope, that he had some good qualities as a leader. Not all, but name one who is beyond reproach. I'll bet you can't do it. Don't even bother. That's not what this is about.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Was I replying to you in this thread? That's all that I will comment to you here.

May no one else answer on my behalf to that person. Let him, by my ignoring of him be my reply. Truths are self evident, but for some, there are none so blind that only they have no wish to see, prefering the comfort, angst and hurts of past and delusions.

So now you basically just avoided me? yet you replied to me by stating this a thread about Gaddafi what a hypocrite you are.

This is what you not me replied to me.

With a slight mistake as well.

new topics

top topics

join