It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Politics, Video Games, and an Epic Story.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I did some searching, and I did some thinking... I didn't see this posted, and I didn't know exactly where to place this so I'm leaving it here since it's a blend of both games and politics. I don't feel right putting it in one or the other so yea!

There's a video game series called Civilization. It's essentially a strategic game based on modeling the world and the complex political, economic, and military forces that exist in it. I've always thought it was a pretty interesting game, but this guy took it to the extreme.

First up is an article introducing the story.

"The Eternal War": Ten Years of a Single Civ 2 Game

A man who's been playing the same game of Civilization 2 for the past ten years is now looking for help.

What happens when you spend a decade of your life playing one single game of the masterful strategy title Civilization 2? Nothing good, as it turns out, at least not for the virtual citizens of your world. A reddit user by the name of Lycerius posted his ten-year tale of woe earlier today, describing his world in the year 3991 A.D. as "a hellish nightmare of suffering and devastation."

Now for the actual story:

I've been playing the same game of Civ II for 10 years. Though long outdated, I grew fascinated with this particular game because by the time Civ III was released, I was already well into the distant future. I then thought that it might be interesting to see just how far into the future I could get and see what the ramifications would be. Naturally I play other games and have a life, but I often return to this game when I'm not doing anything and carry on.

Continue Reading!

I must say, even though this is a game it's quite fascinating. Once you get to the meat of the story there's one really interesting bit:

The only governments left are two theocracies and myself, a communist state. I wanted to stay a democracy, but the Senate would always over-rule me when I wanted to declare war before the Vikings did. This would delay my attack and render my turn and often my plans useless. [...] I was forced to do away with democracy roughly a thousand years ago because it was endangering my empire.

Wow. That's pretty scary. Even though it's a game, I can see it being possible that one day a history book may say the very same thing about a nation like the USA.

If you gave the article a look, let me know what you think about it!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I have played it a few time, great history lesson and good way to learn about the functions of society. As for the future part, there are some amazing ideas like having a suit made out of the same stuff as a black hole, quite formidable. My favourite is the giant robotic dogs, makes a bit of a mess with a city when playing fetch though.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Civilization is a fun game but I could not see my self playing it for 10 years. It would be like playing the same chess game for 10 years.

join