It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Astronaut Gordon Cooper is dead!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Gordon Cooper, NASA Mercury pioneer, dies
VENTURA, Calif. (AP) � Gordon Cooper, one of the original Mercury astronauts who were pioneers in human space exploration, has died. He was 77. Cooper died Monday at his home in Ventura, NASA officials said in a statement.

www.usatoday.com...

"As one of the original seven Mercury astronauts, Gordon Cooper was one of the faces of America's fledgling space program," said NASA Administrator Sean O'Keefe. "He truly portrayed the right stuff, and he helped gain the backing and enthusiasm of the American public, so critical for the spirit of exploration. My thoughts and prayers are with Gordon's family during this difficult time."

The space race was an important time in our history Cooper piloted the last flight in the Mercury mission. He will go down in history as a pioneer! Not too many can say they lived like he did!

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
It is always sad to hear of the passing of true heroes such as Gordon Cooper. I grew up with the space race and remember when a space flight was good for a day of TV viewing at school.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Very sad news, I just saw the news on him and I guess he will be remember in our history for generations to come.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Who's the best pilot you ever saw?
Well, you're lookin' at him.

Best tag line from the Right Stuff.

Gordo Cooper was my favorite of the Mercury 7 probably because he was the least visible of the group. (gotta love an underdog) But truly an amazing man who did amazing things. And an Air Force man to boot.

Godspeed to you, Sir.

new topics

top topics

join