page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Originally posted by Anonymous404
reply to post by draco49

Right, but this is a capital G thread, not a spiritual enlightening one.

What's a capital G thread?

I would say that a "capital G thread" is referring to Yahweh (aka Yeshua, God), as opposed to a non-secular view on spiritualism.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Anyone who's interested in the scientific view of the emergence of consciousness, and possible root causes for the concept of "God" should consider reading the works of Dr. Julian Jaynes. When I was in school taking classes on human psychology, his book "The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind", was required reading and, though controversial, it presented a compelling case for the emergence of consciousness in Man during the 2nd century B.C.

It certainly didn't provide me with all the answers, but it did open my eyes to a completely different avenue of thought on the subject, and I think anyone looking to explore this topic on an academic level will find his work to be more than worthwhile.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by draco49

Thank you for coming through and providing sources. And I agree with you about consciousness etc ... the only thing I'm not sure about is the validity of the concept of hell.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Internet Explorer
reply to post by draco49

Thank you for coming through and providing sources. And I agree with you about consciousness etc ... the only thing I'm not sure about is the validity of the concept of hell.

Happy to provide the links
For me, in order to believe in a concept of Hell, I would have to believe in a concept of Heaven. Since both are products of man-made, organized religion, I see no reason to give them any credence. If you accept that your consciousness is eternal, and part of a greater whole, the concept of Heaven and Hell makes even less sense.

CX

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
I would blame it on T.V. & mainstream music. The programs that teenagers & young adults watch these days continuously make a mockery out of God & Jesus. Someone has an agenda, I'll make sure they don't brainwash me or my family though.
edit on 14-6-2012 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

Surely that works both ways though? One day, long ago, people had an agenda and brainwashed many people into believing in God.

Still happens today despite not a shred of proof to proove his/her/it's existance.

Maybe the youth are just waking up?

CX.
edit on 21/6/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
In my opinion spirituality is much more important than religion. You can still believe in a "heaven" or "hell" and an afterlife, and a creator without having any fundamental religion at all. Know yourself, know your beliefs, and truly believe in them. Once people find enlightenment within themselves and not some long-haired, bearded, man who lives in the sky the better off we'll be.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miccey
Red the op, scrolled then i jumped the pages..
Heres my reply:

SOO?!?!?

Tell me:
WHY do i HAVE to belive or even have "faith"?

WHY do my children have to have the same..?

AND, why is that ANY concern of yours.?!?!?

Yea, i didnt see ANY reply to a VERRY valid question...
Anyone wanna take a crack at it?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I'm glad to see people are getting smarter. Sadly some still blame music and movies like always, just like when kids commit some violent act

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
No replies to my questions ehh...

Then stop bitching about belives, faith and religion..
You can belive whatever you want as long as
second party doesnt get involved, hurt or exposed.
But please..!! When ppl tart jappin about 1+1 NOT = 2
then you are doing it wrong..

1+1=2 equals science....What i can see, smell, taste, hear and feel
is real...Thats my faith

Now, if anyone tells me i HAVE to belive in somekind of diety
like God, Jesus, Muhamed or the likes...They will fail...

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

is real...Thats my faith

Is this you question?

WHY do i HAVE to belive or even have "faith"?

WHY do my children have to have the same..?

AND, why is that ANY concern of yours.?!?!?

You don't.

They don't

It's not, just noticing trends.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Faith is everything. Lack thereof is spiritually ignorant. The question of weather or not god is real is irrelevant once you actually discover the true meaning of faith.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
We argue that our generation is being dumbed down. Personally i believe that, that is the reason young people dont have the proper grounds to believe. Our new generation off youth are groomed to fallow and have faith in scientific facts. Facts most off Them dont fully understand or Know how to comprehend.

Believing that God is a person/ a figure argues that a lot off people dont understand the science which they read.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   

is real...Thats my faith

I'm curious. You state that you only believe in science,and what you can "see, smell, taste, hear and feel."

so does that mean you don't believe in morality, right and wrong, rationality, or other unscientific terms? These aren't scientifically proven. Once cannot see, smell, taste, hear and feel more rational than another person. Such beliefs are retarded.

Do you believe that it's ok for a child to be molested? If yes or no, how would you scientifically prove it?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by spy66
We argue that our generation is being dumbed down. Personally i believe that, that is the reason young people dont have the proper grounds to believe. Our new generation off youth are groomed to fallow and have faith in scientific facts. Facts most off Them dont fully understand or Know how to comprehend.

Believing that God is a person/ a figure argues that a lot off people dont understand the science which they read.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

they don't need to understand. I mean those scientists are experts, not like they have personal motives or a political agenda. No such thing, scientists are saints.

i mean we're living in the age where we should 100% trust experts and never question them. That's why I never question Obama or wanting NDAA, SOPA, ACTA, Patriotic act, SIPA, and every other alphabet soup.

/sarcasm. I think the best book on this topic is Sheldrake's science delusion.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by someguy0083
I'm curious. You state that you only believe in science,and what you can "see, smell, taste, hear and feel."

so does that mean you don't believe in morality, right and wrong, rationality, or other unscientific terms? These aren't scientifically proven. Once cannot see, smell, taste, hear and feel more rational than another person. Such beliefs are retarded.

Do you believe that it's ok for a child to be molested? If yes or no, how would you scientifically prove it?

Right and wrong are relative. Rationality is not an unscientific term. Morality has and is being studied.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal

Right and wrong are relative. Rationality is not an unscientific term. Morality has and is being studied.

Rationality is not unscientific? Ok tell me where can I get more rationality. Where Can I touch, feel, smell, hear, or see rationality?

Morality has the same issue. You can put some pseudoscience into it but in the end these things do not exist. As a scientist you should know better

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by someguy0083

The great thing about science is that it can be tested and proven wrong. Its constantly changing and updating itself. So a scientist can have an agenda but the only way that agenda could be pushed is if the experiments backed up whatever is being put forth.
edit on 26-6-2012 by acmpnsfal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

did you even read sheldrake's science delusion? It mentions a wiseman experiment in which 2 out of 3 studies affirmatively concluded that his experiment was correct. Wiseman, however, used the 3rd experiment to complete call his study "woo science."

Everybody who even mentioned the other 2 successful studies were shot down or told to be quiet by wiseman and his gang.

Science has no agenda? Yea that's like saying humans are perfect beings who would never harm another. How naive

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
The G*d most Christians worship is not the true, Supreme G*d.

Whether lacking belief in divinity is worse than worshiping the Demiurge is a line of thought I have not yet entertained.

Something to think about...

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal

Rationality is not unscientific? Ok tell me where can I get more rationality. Where Can I touch, feel, smell, hear, or see rationality?

Morality has the same issue. You can put some pseudoscience into it but in the end these things do not exist. As a scientist you should know better

You can observe morality in the brain, for example, there was a study done on morality where scientist were able to adjust someones perception of right and wrong with the use of magnets. This supports the idea that morality exists only in the brain. Rationality isnt really a thing so much as it describes a behavior.
Morality Study

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join