It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many migs has america purchased?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I read on the russian mig site that one of its clients is america and they have purchased several mig fighters.

I also read (and cant remember) that Russia was going to sell them to another country but the USA didnt want them to, so they had to buy them instead.

My friend said that the Americans outfitted the plane with new computer equipment and that now they are the best fighters in the world.

What do you think? I also heard that Russia purchased some american fighters as well.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 01:54 AM
link   
There is a thread a few months ago talking about the Russian fighters we have in inventory. The US acquired these fighters throughout the Cold War, some from defection, and my assumption is some by actually stealing them. They were/are(?) based at Area 51 and they had their own pilots that would train in these aircraft, and then they would dog fight pilots from the Aggressor squadron from Nellis and presummably the Navy Fighter Weapons School.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   
What? America uses MiG junk?

This is a bad idea and a bad mistake
Boo to America

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   
There was a Mig 21 for sale from a private owner here in Ohio about 2 yrs. ago. Only wanted 238 Gs for it. I think there is a market for any military aircraft for boys who can afford those toys.
And not all Migs are junk.

[edit on 5-10-2004 by Der Kapitan]

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by AtheiX

Boo to America

No, we dont use them for combat.

We buy them for several reason's, but the biggest reason is so we know what tech level Russia is at, and if there more advanced then we though then we will upgrade our to always stay a step ahead. There are several migs at Area 51.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

Originally posted by AtheiX

Boo to America

No, we dont use them for combat.

We buy them for several reason's, but the biggest reason is so we know what tech level Russia is at, and if there more advanced then we though then we will upgrade our to always stay a step ahead. There are several migs at Area 51.

I also believe that we bought them from an African nation that was going to sell Mig-29's to Iran to prevent them from getting the planes. I wonder if we have gotten any of the upgradded Su-27's to practise with, as in owning not like the whole indian exercise.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   
In cold war times...I don't think Russia has ever sold a plane to the United States...planes have been captured...one case involved a Mig 25 that landed in Japan after defecting from Russia. After the fall of the Soviet Union the US probably bought several surplus Russian military machines because several third world nations still use old soviet equipment...The Hind is still used in US military drills back in the states...

hmm...I'm tired and talking about this kind of stuff is pointless...good night.

- Lost Cause

[edit on 11-10-2004 by LostCause]

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 01:54 AM
link   

LostCause
hmm...I'm tired and talking about this kind of stuff is pointless...good night.

Then why did you become a member? People here enjoy talking about this stuff, and also learn about new things as well, so if ya dont like it, dont respond to it.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 02:14 AM
link   
pff MiG's are not junk they are in the same league as any of America's fighters

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   

pff MiG's are not junk they are in the same league as any of America's fighters

i wouldnt say they were junk but there was an intresting fact mentioned on discovery wings that the americans have never lost an f15 in combat,bet there arent many countries that can boast that?

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
they have lost plenty in simulated excercises though... it's only a matter of who your opponent is

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
the biggest reason is so we know what tech level Russia is at

like they are going to sell you their most advances...

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Titus is correct, the purschase of MiGs is not to check out Russian technology but rather to better equip the US's pilots in training.

Why use a T-38/F-20 when you can have the opposition squadron flying Mig-29s?

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Don't forget the USSR designed its aircaft durring the cold war for simplicity of service durring a conflict. Without massive computers, or sophisticated systems, a MIG or SU aircraft was easier and cheaper to service.

Also cost - mass production of a simple aircraft is cheaper than one with lots of technology in it.

=-Rich

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
k, let me give u the actual information, america bought 22 MiG-29 normal versions, like the original ones, and an additional 8 or 9 MiG-29C's (nuclear capable) from, get ready..................MOLDOVA, the country i was born in, i'm not even lying, was juts there 3 months ago

america wanted to buy them off Moldova not because of training, but because Moldova(yay, lol) wanted to seel them to Iran, and Moldova had 8 or 9 nuclear capable aircraft, so instead, the americans bought them, i was recently watching some discovery channel thingy on Area 51, and they use MiG's extensively, alost everyday, they saw one out in the field, it seems that they aren't bad after all AtheiX

u are a total fool, u're information is irrelevant and extremely biased, you should be kicked out, holy crap, at least accept the fact that not all soviet planes are junk
_javascript:icon('
')
_javascript:icon('
')
wat a fag, seriously

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by roniii259
...I wonder if we have gotten any of the upgradded Su-27's to practise with, as in owning not like the whole indian exercise.

edited due to being a loudmouth.

[edit on 23-11-2004 by engineer]

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
yea, find out for me, i am curious how they got them, and tell me what variant

thanx would be greatly appreciative

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Well America bought some and acquired a few others by various means, defection/capture etc, heres an interesting article on the subject
www.acig.org...

BTW you can also buy F-16s and F/A-18s (the very early models anyway A/B spec) I dont think you were allowed to leave the US as a condition of buying it, still pretty cool though. Like buying a P-51 Mustang post WW2

top topics

join