It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fasting, and my irrefultable results.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by disgustingfatbody

Oh btw I love the hypocrisy ("fasting has effected my brain) erroneous claim?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by imagineering

I'll agree with others that 2 weeks seems severe, but if it works for you then GREAT!

I agree with you 100% about the mental clarity and better sleep, and more energy. I have only fasted a day here and there, and when I do I see huge benefits.

My diet, like some of the others has been to cut out all sugars and simple carbs. (all white flour or white sugar) I try to eat my biggest meal at breakfast, and eat nothing after 7 p.m.

I did that diet recently for 5 weeks and lost 26 lbs. I've been off of it now for 3 weeks and gained back 5 lbs.

While I was avoiding the sugars, I was stronger, more energetic, more clear-headed, better memory, better sleep, woke up before the alarm clock went off, etc., etc. Now that I've been cheating and eating ice cream before bed, I sleep terrible, wake up late, stay tired through the morning, etc.

For those that had bad experiences with fasting, I wonder if a couple of weeks of clean eating before they start their fast would allay all the withdrawal symptoms?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I'll agree with others that 2 weeks seems severe, but if it works for you then GREAT!

I agree with you 100% about the mental clarity and better sleep, and more energy. I have only fasted a day here and there, and when I do I see huge benefits.

My diet, like some of the others has been to cut out all sugars and simple carbs. (all white flour or white sugar) I try to eat my biggest meal at breakfast, and eat nothing after 7 p.m.

I did that diet recently for 5 weeks and lost 26 lbs. I've been off of it now for 3 weeks and gained back 5 lbs.

While I was avoiding the sugars, I was stronger, more energetic, more clear-headed, better memory, better sleep, woke up before the alarm clock went off, etc., etc. Now that I've been cheating and eating ice cream before bed, I sleep terrible, wake up late, stay tired through the morning, etc.

For those that had bad experiences with fasting, I wonder if a couple of weeks of clean eating before they start their fast would allay all the withdrawal symptoms?

My two week intermittant fasting is not permanent, I am using it as a platform for a life change for the long term, I am certainly open to advice the involves the continuance of my health as it is now, i appreciate all the input especially the spell check advice and grammer links provided my some certain memebers here, you cant be perfect at everything. Im just trying to be real.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by disgustingfatbody

Brains

Awe thanks little buddy!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Isabelx
I love this thread, S&F!

I do have one question for you, if you will; at anytime during your fasting period, have you ever been nauseated and/or vomiting?

A few months ago, I fasted for 3 days.. and on the 3rd day, I woke up vomiting repeatedly. I could barely get out of bed, that's how terrible the nausea was.. this scared me off of longer-term fasting until I can feel confident enough to handle this should it arise again (though, I still do fast 24 hours at least once per week).

I haven't seen many others stating that they felt this way.. only energetic and stronger instead.

edit on 14-6-2012 by Isabelx because: (no reason given)

Sounds like you became dehydrated...classic symptoms. Were you drinking fluids at all during the fast?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

I am completely serious in asking this question, it is common to do a daytime fast and then take in nutrition in the evening once the sun sets.

So you say you do not eat for a complete two weeks, that is all I wanted to know! I wasn't going to bash you or tell you that you are "off".

Maybe you do need a cookie and calm down!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

Sorry man, my bad. What you are doing actually sounds like a program called EAT stop EAT. It actually works for alot of people. My apologies once again.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Interesting and kinda scary, I never had that side effect, Definitely could be dehydration. Try it again but make sure you drink plenty of water.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
It's great that you all understand the benefits here but remember that more importantly you're giving your body a chance to heal and regain some balance. Foods are not only seriously out of balance themselves but also full of toxins these days. Putting that into your already compromised body is only going to make things worse. No matter what anyone says, you must let your body rest in all possible ways when you're not well.

Animals know this by nature. They don't have doctors, magazines, tv, and other dubious sources telling them to go against Nature's ways. Regain your peace and freedom. Do it weekly. You can save some decent money over the course of a year, particularly when you factor in your reduced medical costs.

And another thing to consider: Vitamin pills are worthless at best and detrimental if you're honest about it. Don't take them.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
It's great that you all understand the benefits here but remember that more importantly you're giving your body a chance to heal and regain some balance. Foods are not only seriously out of balance themselves but also full of toxins these days. Putting that into your already compromised body is only going to make things worse. No matter what anyone says, you must let your body rest in all possible ways when you're not well.

Animals know this by nature. They don't have doctors, magazines, tv, and other dubious sources telling them to go against Nature's ways. Regain your peace and freedom. Do it weekly. You can save some decent money over the course of a year, particularly when you factor in your reduced medical costs.

And another thing to consider: Vitamin pills are worthless at best and detrimental if you're honest about it. Don't take them.

Yep. You hit the nail on the head for sure. I was hoping to garner some input form others more knowledgable then me, and other point of views. So thank you!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Why not just do a high protein diet?? You don't have to starve yourself doing it. After a week or two your body will go into ketosis and start burning fat for energy instead of direct sugar/carbs. After that you will be burning 1lb of fat a day doing absolutely nothing.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by sean
Why not just do a high protein diet?? You don't have to starve yourself doing it. After a week or two your body will go into ketosis and start burning fat for energy instead of direct sugar/carbs. After that you will be burning 1lb of fat a day doing absolutely nothing.

Good question. In my layman explanation all I can say is my research revealed that, consuming ANY food even protien will inhibit the body from the "self healing state" and prevent the body from ridding itself of all the chemicals and damaged cells.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Fasting does not cause your body to eat up all it's muscles nd organs or energy.

I'd you do the research before commenting, you'll see that there are 3 or 4 processes that the body goes through, gluceogenesis being one.

First off, your body would use up any glucose and sugars that are freely floating about in your blood and muscles, and when there isn't enough left, it will use up the glycogen stored in your liver. When the glycogen in your liver is depleted, usually between 1-3 days, your body will then metabolise fat. Lipases will be released due to low insulin production, lipase being the enzyme that breaks down the bonds in triglycerides (fat) and converts it into amino acids and ketones, where the ketones are used as fuel by the brain and body for the remainder of the fast.

There will be a TINY amount of protein usage, such as through muscle use, however it is wrong to state that fasting will cause muscle loss and organ damage, unless it is done by somebody with little to no body fat reserves.

Low-carb diets have the same effect, where the body uses up triglycerides to make ketones for energy.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by domasio
Reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Fasting does not cause your body to eat up all it's muscles nd organs or energy.

I'd you do the research before commenting, you'll see that there are 3 or 4 processes that the body goes through, gluceogenesis being one.

First off, your body would use up any glucose and sugars that are freely floating about in your blood and muscles, and when there isn't enough left, it will use up the glycogen stored in your liver. When the glycogen in your liver is depleted, usually between 1-3 days, your body will then metabolise fat. Lipases will be released due to low insulin production, lipase being the enzyme that breaks down the bonds in triglycerides (fat) and converts it into amino acids and ketones, where the ketones are used as fuel by the brain and body for the remainder of the fast.

There will be a TINY amount of protein usage, such as through muscle use, however it is wrong to state that fasting will cause muscle loss and organ damage, unless it is done by somebody with little to no body fat reserves.

Low-carb diets have the same effect, where the body uses up triglycerides to make ketones for energy.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Thank you sir for the input. That is info I have read but didnt fully grasp its details, hence my only posting the details of my fast considering the results I have experienced.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I am seeing a lot of comments regarding not eating carbs after 7pm. My doctor (though I admit, they don't always know exactly what they're talking about regarding nutrition since they all tell you different things) recommended I eat no carbs after 5pm and switch my daytime meals, ie: main meal at lunch time, and a small lunch time meal at dinner time.

What is the difference between not eating carbs after 5pm rather than not eating after 7pm? The only thing I've noticed is that I usually go to bed hungry.

I'm got significant weight problems, for the last three years I've been under medical scrutiny, they've exhausted their testing to figure out what is causing it (along with other feminine issues I won't go into), and all they can tell me do to is "Try to lose weight".
In 6 months I've lost ONE KILO. You can lose a kilo overnight just through natural bodily processes, weight fluctuates by as much throughout the day as it is, so I may as well have lost no weight at all despite having joined a gym in December and being an active member 3/5 times a week and taking the doctors advice and rejigging my meals and not eating carbs after 5...

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lulzaroonie
I am seeing a lot of comments regarding not eating carbs after 7pm. My doctor (though I admit, they don't always know exactly what they're talking about regarding nutrition since they all tell you different things) recommended I eat no carbs after 5pm and switch my daytime meals, ie: main meal at lunch time, and a small lunch time meal at dinner time.

What is the difference between not eating carbs after 5pm rather than not eating after 7pm? The only thing I've noticed is that I usually go to bed hungry.

I'm got significant weight problems, for the last three years I've been under medical scrutiny, they've exhausted their testing to figure out what is causing it (along with other feminine issues I won't go into), and all they can tell me do to is "Try to lose weight".
In 6 months I've lost ONE KILO. You can lose a kilo overnight just through natural bodily processes, weight fluctuates by as much throughout the day as it is, so I may as well have lost no weight at all despite having joined a gym in December and being an active member 3/5 times a week and taking the doctors advice and rejigging my meals and not eating carbs after 5...

Sounds like what I went through, before fasting I could not lose one pound, I was convinced I had a mutant form of resistant fat. Fasting allowed my body to hit the figurative re-set button, and it worked. During the two weeks I do eat my matobolism is crazy fast, and my energy is insane too. Im not sure about the time constraints about carbs, maybe its due to the the reason that it is near bed time, the period of inactivity.
My research indicated that ifIi was over wieght, the last thing I needed was carbs. There is alot of science out there to boggle our minds and I for sure have had my mind thrown into such confusion, I had to say Eff it all Im going to fast long term and and start kicking my own butt....And it worked, I forced my body to use its fat stores, and when It broke beyond that initial wall it becomes easier and progress is seen daily and it is very encouraging.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

For those who can make it work for them, fair play. I've attempted fasting in the past but get overcome with insane headaches, the shakes, irritability and nausea. I know that this is all part and parcel of the start of a fast, but with a young child, I personally value my ability to function 'normally' 100% of the time, rather than sitting out the rest of the fast.
I've heard many great benefits of fasting, and I hope in time, I could actually really give it a serious go and overcome the first full 24 hours with little fuss.

Yes, fair play indeed. I too have tried it long ago, but in my view, moderation in all things is the way to go. I have a bad stomach, with Helicobacter Pylori. Going over a few hours without food is akin to a nightmare of abdominal pain and suffering. But to each his own.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

For those who can make it work for them, fair play. I've attempted fasting in the past but get overcome with insane headaches, the shakes, irritability and nausea. I know that this is all part and parcel of the start of a fast, but with a young child, I personally value my ability to function 'normally' 100% of the time, rather than sitting out the rest of the fast.
I've heard many great benefits of fasting, and I hope in time, I could actually really give it a serious go and overcome the first full 24 hours with little fuss.

Yes, fair play indeed. I too have tried it long ago, but in my view, moderation in all things is the way to go. I have a bad stomach, with Helicobacter Pylori. Going over a few hours without food is akin to a nightmare of abdominal pain and suffering. But to each his own.

That is very understandable, I would never under-go fasting with a pre-exsisting condition that would be made manifested because of fasting.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Try juice fasting! Juice all of your fruits and vegetables. I think foodmatters has info on this! You drink nothing buy juiced fruits and vegetables for 10 days, then decide if you want to carry on. Many people go for 30 days or more. Your body gets everything you need and you feel full all the time.

Your body will love you for it.

It's also a way to have an Alkaline body ph. Means you will kill almost every disease in your body!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by imagineering

Originally posted by sean

Good question. In my layman explanation all I can say is my research revealed that, consuming ANY food even protien will inhibit the body from the "self healing state" and prevent the body from ridding itself of all the chemicals and damaged cells.

As far as weight loss goes they are both the same, but fasting also includes detoxing and flushing the body. I supposed that would make sense if you want to jump start your way into a new life diet routine. It's difficult to do as for both diets that 2 weeks is brutal as your body craves carbs like it's crack coc aine. However, afterwards when you are dropping the pounds and eating better you definitely feel better. The biggest thing is keeping it going and keeping the lbs off. Going to the super market and eating the right way can be expensive as hell. Eating cheap and trying to save money on your food bill you can't get away from the carb/surgar and processed foods because everything you buy has it. It can be difficult as it's a vicious cycle. People can't afford to eat properly anymore to start with and can't get food from farmer markets anymore because none exist as the government ran em out. Can't grow a garden because the weather been to crazy and to cold to start one. Scientist wonder why we have immune system problems. lol
edit on 14-6-2012 by sean because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join