It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seeking 'New Ager' help to better understand full meanings of some buzzwords

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

All spirits and entities are notoriously deceptive, and can not be trusted. The negative entities are especially deceptive in order to cause harm. Which is why God says things like psychic abilities and spirit channeling are not to be trusted and used.

Interesting how you consider yourself a non-dogmatic Christian yet you reply with things like this...

God never said "all spirits are deceptive"... though your bible said something of that effect...

Unfortunatly you forgot this verse...

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Psychic abilities and other such things are gifts from God... to be used for Good and not "evil"...

non-dogmatic indeed...

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Actually, no. Psychic abilities are not gifts from God. And yes, indeed, God does say that a Christian should not use them. But that is another argument for another thread and we're going off topic.

And I'm non dogmatic because this is the path I follow, and am not demanding that people believe the same thing or be the way that I do, like conservative Christians demand. Nor am I going to go your route and claim that I and only I have the one true way or believing.

How you go about your way is none of my business. Only God is the judge.

You see, this is the thing about all religious people, and even atheists. They always claim that their way is the best and always try to trick the other guys.

When I was an atheists Christians always did their best to correct me and try to get me to conform.

Whenever I say I'm religious atheists and other non believers always have to test me.

Never underestimate the value of conformity, because that is what it is all about, and not letting other people believe or live according to their choice.

That is the one thing atheists and theists have in common. They always expect others to conform to their group's beliefs.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by JesuitGarlic

I am not sure how it all exactly plugs together, but for a scientific principle we have the negative and positive charges of an atom that work together to balance out the overall charge. Then we have antimatter as well that also creates another duality to the formation of matter and charge. Maybe it is possible to have a world where love is the standard, but if we are left in to much of a daze then we get pain from not eating and other complications. We also get loss when the love is gone and many other emotions here that help put love into perspective and valued we we can attain it.

If there was no evil on earth and only those interested in everyone reaching their highest good then what is wrong with that?

The reality of the situation is that there is evil on earth, but it also some what a matter of perspective. Does the cat catching a bird make it evil? If that bird was your mum and now you are going to starve you might think so. But the cat is just doing what cats do, the cat needs to eat or it will die so it is doing what is right, despite being evil to some. Human nature can be a very complicated thing.

Just because you strive to become a good and decent person does not mean someone will automatically become bad, we all have our own self determination to think and decide for ourselves. But with what ever actions you choose, there will be repercussions so it is good you are aware and strive for what is right as there are still many unknowns with what it is all about. Perhaps one day we could have a world based on love and respect instead of war and greed. Or love might branch off into its own duality where the issues of too much or not enough love are further explored.

It is good to see you are trying to make some sense of this world and find what is important. Trying to establish some goals and look at possible problems is a very wise thing to do. I know it is not easy.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Considering you were wrong about "all spirits being deceptive" according to your book... i will also have to say you're wrong on the psychic abilities as well... but what you believe is up to you.

I've never met a true psychic... and even have a hard time believing such people exist... though i don't believe in prophets in this day and age either.

most "christians" don't understand "new age beliefs" because they revolve around more then just the bible... they include other religions beliefs as well as the bibles teachings (at least the important ones)

In reality "new age" is also a "Christian term"... what you don't understand is that nothing about these beliefs are "new age"...all of them come from the religions of the world... buddhism... gnosticism... hinduism... Christianity... Judaism in some rare cases.

the term New age is exactly what the OP is asking about... its nothing but a buzz word, and another label Christians give to something they don't understand.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I do know a few things about the tricks and traps that many "Psychics" use. I was an atheist after all, and in critical thinking circles, they do discuss all the tricks and traps that they do use.

And I'm not wrong, all spirits are deceptive to some degree.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by Akragon

I do know a few things about the tricks and traps that many "Psychics" use. I was an atheist after all, and in critical thinking circles, they do discuss all the tricks and traps that they do use.

And I'm not wrong, all spirits are deceptive to some degree.

So you're a former athiest, turned bible believing "christian" that disagrees with the bible...

Pardon me if i snicker a little...

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I have no idea who the "dark ones" are, according to New Age philosophy, but I'm betting Dick Cheney is one of them!

As far as "duality" is concerned, that is not a "New Age" thing. It comes from Abraham and/or Zoroaster. www.sullivan-county.com...

Most people saw god as embodying nature and assigned spiritual qualities to the ocean, forests, animals, plants and planets, the moon and stars. Abraham and Zoroaster introduced 1 god and 1 enemy of god. This is the basis of dualism.

As far a "Sacred Secret Societies" it is my belief that this originates from the Pythagorean Mystery schools and the desire to keep the teachings pure and uncorrupted, so only certain initiates were allowed entry in these schools.
edit on 14-6-2012 by windword because: ,

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

How tolerant of you.

You're derailing this thread.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

Good link, those people are dangerous. They are like the one's that wear flowers in their hair, speak cotton candy clouds and tasty rainbows as they hold your hand and eventually tell you the poison kool-aid will set you free.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

In reality "new age" is also a "Christian term"... what you don't understand is that nothing about these beliefs are "new age"...all of them come from the religions of the world... buddhism... gnosticism... hinduism... Christianity... Judaism in some rare cases.

the term New age is exactly what the OP is asking about... its nothing but a buzz word, and another label Christians give to something they don't understand.

Exactly. It's sort of the go-to word for Christians to use to label a non-Christian who doesn't quite fit into their other favorite label: "Pagan".

I've been considered both a "pagan" and a "new-ager" to Christians yet I don't call myself either of those things.

To a Christian:
Paganism = Any non-Abraham-sourced religious belief
New Age = Any belief system that they can't fit into any other label

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

i can't help it if Christians amuse me...

besides, i've already said my piece on this thread.

New age is a Christian label... nothing more. Many of these beliefs are far older then Christianity... the only reason people don't understand them is because of their bias towards the bible.

Step out of the book, and you'll find "new age" beliefs come from the sources i've already listed.

So they're not even "new"

How sad is it when the label doesn't even fit the belief...

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

No, new age is not a Christian label.

It was used by the author Nevil Drury while writing about particularly through the works of the esotericists Emanuel Swedenborg, Franz Mesmer, Helena Blavatsky and George Gurdjieff, as well as being found in as early as 1808 by William Blake who described a coming era of spiritual and artistic advancement in his preface to Milton a Poem by stating: "... when the New Age is at leisure to pronounce, all will be set right ..."

edit on 14-6-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Then why is it that only Christians use the term? At least on these forums...

Theres nothing new about these belief systems...

the label is as flawed as the outlook on said beliefs

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

You should try hanging around a bunch of Wicca and other pagans. They do use the term amongst themselves.

Christians just co-opted the term, and they co-opted it to put non-Christian pagan beliefs down. Just like they do everything else.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Duality is for my trying to understand both sides of an issue. In most dualities the thruth is somewhere between the both extremes but there is exceptions. What you can be after is a state where you become nondual in your approach to view the world and try not to take sides and judge people. The goal seem to be to be able to feel connected with everyone and everything around you. Some go very far to make themselves feel like there is only one being existing and all people they meet are themself and part of something bigger.

This is nothing new and both Jesus and Buddha taught to look beyind duality views but they did not use the term duality.

From a new age point of view. All is ONE (god). By loving god you are at the same time loving both Universe and The Inhabitans. If you love your neighbour then you are on fact loving god since the neighbour is part of god.

New agers sometimes use meditation to open chakra points in their body so that they can recive chi from the hindus. If they open the crown chakra enought they will start to feel the bliss that the connection gives. If they open the third eye (another chakra) then they will become psychic and can follow synchronicity better (that is the mysterious way that god uses to guide souls). From my point having an fully opened crown chakra and third eye means that you have the holy spirit in you. Having the holy spirit do not equal wisdom and an allloving way. It is a start and there is 5 more chakras to open. The normal way is to open chakras from below to crown if there is not a push from an exteral force.
edit on 14-6-2012 by apushforenlightment because: spellchecking

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

i can't help it if Christians amuse me...

besides, i've already said my piece on this thread.

New age is a Christian label... nothing more. Many of these beliefs are far older then Christianity... the only reason people don't understand them is because of their bias towards the bible.

Step out of the book, and you'll find "new age" beliefs come from the sources i've already listed.

So they're not even "new"

How sad is it when the label doesn't even fit the belief...

But they are trying to bring in the new age. Hence the name.

edit on 14-6-2012 by apushforenlightment because: spellchecking

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

To a Christian:
Paganism = Any non-Abraham-sourced religious belief
New Age = Any belief system that they can't fit into any other label

To a Christian:
Paganism = Anything that's not Biblical
New Age = Label themselves as Christians, but are involved in other religious and non-Biblical practices.
edit on 14-6-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Then why is it that only Christians use the term? At least on these forums...

Theres nothing new about these belief systems...

the label is as flawed as the outlook on said beliefs

You haven't been around me too long. Virtually everytime the term comes up I point out there is nothing New about the beliefs. Heck, said that again in this thread.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

What are the New Agers perspectives on why they have been told to stop listening to anyone suggesting what is going on is related to Revelation?

Well, a couple of reasons for me, I guess. With an initial understanding that everything that is, began as a thought…
First, the prophecies from Revelation are from 2000 years ago & at very best, assuming a clear channel & a probably bunch of things I don’t understand yet, would be based on future probabilities arising from the state of affairs, group consciousness at that time. As time passed and things change, the future probabilities would change also.
Secondly, because of the Law of Attraction, I choose not to focus any of my thoughts on such calamity. What you focus your thoughts on becomes manifest…. So please, no 7 headed dragons!

- Who is the Galatic Federation?
Jury is out with these until we experience something more concrete than internet postings, IMHO. Just use your own discernment & don’t go selling your house because of an internet posting. With that said, I read them all the time because I often find them relaxing, encouraging and interesting. They’re benevolent ET races here to support Earth’s ascension. They get bashed on here whenever brought up, but use your own discernment there, also. If you see them in a positive light, enjoy them. If you get any kind of a negative vibe, just let them go. There is no wrong answer.

Duality-
The paradigm supporting separation where everything has an opposite (up-down, good- bad). This paradigm has been an excellent learning aid during our time of separation on Earth.
We’re moving out of duality toward unity consciousness. The notion is that everything is connected. The difference in thinking here would be like instead of ‘it’s good’ or ‘it’s evil’, ‘it just is’.

Dark Ones-
I don’t know specific names, per se, but basically negative entities- think bad intent- either non-physical or physical. Back to Law of Attraction, I choose not to put much energy into worrying about them.

My Comments
The fact that you are asking questions & express interest in this stuff speaks volumes. Just let your intuition and positive curiosity be your guide.
New Age does NOT mean anti-Christian. Period. As a former Christian for 38 years, I’ll guess you’ve been taught not to think independently regarding anything religious or spiritual. This is not judgmental at all, that’s just how it is in the church. I highly encourage you to let this training (if present) GO. It’s OK to ask yourself questions and see where the answer takes you.
I didn’t consciously choose this path. It opened itself to me…. it began with a vivid & awing dream of Jesus telling me that I am worthy of God’s love and took off from there. Since awakening, I no longer feel a faith in God. I now KNOW God is very real and I KNOW that he loves me dearly. Period. The same goes with my relationship with Jesus. The only difference is that now I see the being of Jesus differently (you mentioned ascended master- vs. Biblical son of God) but not any less incredible. Nonetheless, I know for fact his message got me right here, & I am grateful.
The major hurdle that I had to work through that then opened the floodgates was the Bible. Once I worked through the realization that the Bible might not be the 100% pure word of God as we’ve been thought + I’m not going to hell for thinking that, everything opened right up.
If you take some time to ponder this one, remember (1) God is Love (only Love- not angry & frightening) (2) that your relationship is with God himself, NOT with a book that despite all its good qualities, was still put together by imperfect human hands.
I could go on and on and on about my experience awakening. It was as beautiful & magnificent as it was unexpected for me. I wish you the very best, my friend. Just let go of the fear, look inside & enjoy the ride.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
reply to post by Cuervo

New Age = Label themselves as Christians, but are involved in other religious and non-Biblical practices.

Most of the New Agers I've heard of do not care to label themselves as "Christian"....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join