It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Easter Island Statues Finally Make it Main Stream News

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I thought this was odd that it finally gets on MSNBC.

Notice the "recent discovery"

video.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
That the moai have bodies has been known by the Rapa Nui since they built them, by Europeans, since the 17th century..... of course the 'heads' at Rano Raraku have bodies, just like all the other 880+ moai they were just covered up by land erosion.....

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Well, they sure are playing it up like a big discovery. Even though I've seen the pics posted on ATS some years ago. Strange it just made it to the MSM.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
It's called 'journalism'.....

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
True dat

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
That the moai have bodies has been known by the Rapa Nui since they built them, by Europeans, since the 17th century..... of course the 'heads' at Rano Raraku have bodies, just like all the other 880+ moai they were just covered up by land erosion.....

You say errosion, but is that really the case? I am well aware I'm no expert on these matters, but does the height of the layers dirt, concieling the rest of the bodies, really correspond to errosion, or something that was deposited (volcanic for instance)?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2Faced

Originally posted by Hanslune

You say errosion, but is that really the case? I am well aware I'm no expert on these matters, but does the height of the layers dirt, concieling the rest of the bodies, really correspond to errosion, or something that was deposited (volcanic for instance)?

The two times I've been to Rapa Nui were separated by twenty six years, in that time I could see a change in slope of Rano Raraku, there is slippage and erosion. No volcanic eruptions in a long time, the last I believe was dated to around 1 BC, you can check Hunt's works for a specific date. Once the trees were gone the erosion picked up greatly. This was noted by Routledge, Heyerdahl and a number of others too

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Thanks for clearing that up!
Peace

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2Faced
reply to post by Hanslune

Thanks for clearing that up!
Peace

My pleasure, EI is one of my favorite places. It was book by Thor Heyerdahl on Easter Island that I read in nineth grade (Aku Aku) that led me to archaeology in the first place. I always suggest that if you can, go there and spend a week, its well worth the effort.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Fantastic, just afew years too late..

new topics

top topics

join