It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you belive in Santa Claus?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I believe in Santa, the Easter bunny, tooth fairy, unicorns, gnomes and pretty much any other imaginary creature. Why? Cause it is fun. Just because I am an adult, I do not see the need to throw out my childhood imagination.

Now, do I think there are truly flesh and blood creatures roaming the earth....no.

I believe in a **god** as well, but do I think there is an actual being sitting in a cloud? No.....

It all depends on how a person defines these beings. My definition is not the same as most other people's. But to me, in my mind these things are real.

Santa is a symbol that embodies the spirit of giving and goodness.....those things to me are very real.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by anoncoholic

Originally posted by rhinoceros
Do you believe that Father Christmas really exists? I'm especially interested in hearing answers from devoted Christians. If you're a Santa Claus atheist, then why? What rationale are you applying to the non-existence of Santa Claus that cannot be applied to the non-existence of your God?

No but I do recognize a bait thread when I see it

troll fail

In other words, you can't rationalize your simultaneous disbelief in Santa Claus and belief in the Christian God? Believe it or not, I'm not trolling. I'm genuinely interested in how people logically rule out the existence of specific deities while simultaneously being convinced of the existence of other deities. Don't you think this conundrum is at least a little bit interesting?
edit on 14-6-2012 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Do you believe that Father Christmas really exists? I'm especially interested in hearing answers from devoted Christians. If you're a Santa Claus atheist, then why? What rationale are you applying to the non-existence of Santa Claus that cannot be applied to the non-existence of your God?

What are your specific personal beliefs about Santa Claus and God?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

you talk about rationality and lump a supernatural entity in with a fairy tale?

grow up, go way, or read a Bible and see whats coming, either way you aren't worth my time

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

What are your specific personal beliefs about Santa Claus and God?

You mean the Christian God? If yes, then I lack in the belief of the existence of either. This is, however, offtopic. I don't want this thread to turn into yet another evolution vs creation or mystery of the origin of the Universe discussion. That's not the point here. The point of this thread is in the text you quoted.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by anoncoholic

Ok then, do you worship Zeus? If not, why not?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

What's the difference?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

grow up, go way

On what basis is Santa Claus a supernatural entity and the Christian God just a fairy tale, or vice versa? Nobody is forcing you to take part in this thread. If you don't want to contribute, please comply with the latter part of the quoted text. There's no need for hostility.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I lost interest in the mythical god that religion normally indoctrinates young minds with, at a very early age. It was (and still is) just too ridiculous to to be taken seriously (though I'm not atheist). I certainly did prey when forced to church as a youngster though. Yet in my instance I used to pray for it to be over. ....

It was much tougher learning that Santa wan't real. Somehow the magic was lost...

The only difference between these two mythical beings that I can see, is that Santa is a far more worthwhile and far less harmful myth. Wars don't get fought, cultures don't get wiped out, science doesn't get outlawed... in the name of Santa.

edit on 14-6-2012 by Cogito, Ergo Sum because: for the heck of it.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I understand that we do not know the answers to the deepest questions about creation and the universe.....

I am fine with science hijacking the outlook on our universe for its own dogma,,,,,, ( ignorance ---> until knowledge known)

i understand because we do not know the answers, science is the best way in figuring out the answers.....

in my opinion,,, it is a little early in the journey of science to make a conclusive decision regarding those deep and original questions on the origins of creation.....

I dont understand; the universe is understandable by study (science),, therefore it was not created by intelligence...

santa claus has nothing to do with the creation/existence of the universe...........

you do not know if an aware force created the universe....... you can believe it did not....... but you do not know.....
edit on 14-6-2012 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi

I understand that we do not know the answers to the deepest questions about creation and the universe.....

I am fine with science hijacking the outlook on our universe for its own dogma,,,,,, ( ignorance ---> until knowledge known)

i understand because we do not know the answers, science is the best way in figuring out the answers.....

in my opinion,,, it is a little early in the journey of science to make a conclusive decision regarding those deep and original questions on the origins of creation.....

I dont understand; the universe is understandable by study (science),, therefore it was not created by intelligence...

santa claus has nothing to do with the creation/existence of the universe...........

you do not know if an aware force created the universe....... you can believe it did not....... but you do not know.....

Some good points, but nonetheless offtopic. This thread is not about creation/existence of the universe, but rationales for discriminating between supernatural entities.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

grow up, go way

On what basis is Santa Claus a supernatural entity and the Christian God just a fairy tale

Why is it that you keep saying Christian God? Other religions have a God or Gods also. God is a universal term for just about any religious Deity. By saying Christian God it makes it sound like you are trying to bash on Christians.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I no longer believe in Santa Claus. I never saw him, just those fakey ones in department stores.

I do believe in Rudolph, however, you know--the red-nosed reindeer.

My older sister pointed him out to me one foggy night through the window when I was 8 years old.

I could clearly see his red-flashing nose through the cloudy skies.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sol23

grow up, go way

On what basis is Santa Claus a supernatural entity and the Christian God just a fairy tale

Why is it that you keep saying Christian God? Other religions have a God or Gods also. God is a universal term for just about any religious Deity. By saying Christian God it makes it sound like you are trying to bash on Christians.

This site has majority christian (thus preaching threads) and they are the ones with silly theories like 6000yr old earth and most of them are anti-science. I doubt if if the OP says Vishnu and Santa Claus, nothing would happen because most of them don't know who Vishnu is they know less outside their own circle of faith.

Santa and Jesus is well known in Christian Belief, so its best to argue that in this site.
edit on 6/14/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

This just simply amazes me. This, THIS is your debate of why there is no god?

THIS???

I thought we had much more intelligent debates here on ATS.....I was sadly mistaken.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sol23

grow up, go way

The majority of the believers here believe strictly in the Christian God, so it was a rather obvious choice. I'm not trying to bash anyone. I'm just genuinely interested in what kind of rationales lead to simultaneous disbelief towards Santa Claus (you could replace this with basically any deity) and belief towards Christian God (again replaceable by any deity).

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

regardless of what deity people believe in,,,, if there was any deity at all, it created them all,,, thats the only rationale..

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

THIS???

I thought we had much more intelligent debates here on ATS.....I was sadly mistaken.

No. This is not a debate about the existence of God. This is an inquiry into how one decides which deities are real, and which are not.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

people imagine their deity in their own image,,,,,, region and culture......... if you are born in the midwest USA most likely speak english and are a christian,,,,, born in the middle east its different,,,,,, china its different,,,, africa its different.....

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

THIS???

No. This is not a debate about the existence of God. This is an inquiry into how one decides which deities are real, and which are not.

Since when did Santa Claus become a Deity?

((As I ask myself why I am coming back to this thread again??))........

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join