It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans - You claim your military is the best. Prove It

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

Nuclear weapons are a false ideology. They will never be used in modern times, because if they did do something so foolish then the consequences would be too great. Is Australia or New Zealnd any less secure because it doesn't have nuclear weapons? The answer is NO.

Actually yes, if abandoned by their allies, Australia and New Zealand are very vulnerable given the threat of a nuclear nation. Having nuclear weapons is essentially an "un-f***-with-able" chip; countries with nukes can't be pushed around because the regime will likely go down in flames and damage its attacker doing so.

With that being said, what would really happen if America decided to use another nuke on a powerless country. Do you really think that Russia and China would retaliate with their nukes and completely glass the Earth? What retaliation have we seen, if any, from the other world powers during the lasting 11 years of our brutal conquest in Iraq and Afghanistan? If they did nothing then, they will likely do nothing now.

Like I said in an earlier post, military power pretty much ends at nukes; once you have a nuke, countries like America stop messing with you. Economic power is much more important and devastating to a nation than a bomb could ever be. If we have no money because our major trade partners cut off trade with us and start trading oil in other currencies, it will cause our nation to collapse in a much more effective way than any nuclear strike could.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by 3dman7

Why i thought the US was only in to home delivery ...?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
Good excuse.

You must be having delusions of grandeur.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The stealth fighter was made in 1963. So god only knows what we have in top secret.

1 Thermal Nuclear Bomb would wipe out 90% of china. Not to mention China is all mountains and one area is open for sea travel.

We own the biggest airport in the world in Iraq. We have all the gas we need to fly missions to every middle east country as well as Asia. Within mins or in a few hrs.

You fail to relize one thing. Your a peon compared to the higher ups. And you have no clue that to have a powerful millitary. It has to be secret. Or everyone would know what you had.

Its all smoke' n mirrors until you play "The Card". Thats why no ones pulled it out of the deck. They just say they have the card. To scared to actually do it...
edit on 14-6-2012 by ratpunk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
I'm going to have to go with Daas, here.

The almighty US military has not "won" a war since the Spanish American war. Unless you count the invasion of the tiny island of Grenada, or the even tinier Panama. Of course, these were supposedly not "wars".

A full decade trying to conquer a country the size of NY state (Iraq) and whaddaya got? A whole lot a NUTHIN.

Afghanistan? Still going on. In fact, they held off the Russians for years, and now are still holding off the US. The two "biggest" militaries on the planet. So by that standard, Afghanistan has the most powerful army in the world.

I guess you could count invading Libya. But supposedly that was NOT a war, and it was NATO, led by the Brits. Supposedly.

The US has been involved in some type of military action for almost every year of its entire 200 plus year existence. Not a real good track record, when you get right down to it.

Best equipment, and most high tech, that's for sure. Unfortunately, most of the critical pieces are MADE IN CHINA.

"An army marches on its stomach" has always been the case. These days, supply lines for not only food, but fuel and other support are critical. Manufacturing of all the death weapons. Since the US has basically ZERO manufacturing anymore, well, what does that tell you? The only manufacturing in the US now is weapons. Super high tech stuff. All computer controlled, and bouncing all comms off satellites, running off computer chips. ALL MADE IN CHINA.

Figure it out. The US is what you would call a paper tiger. Buncha mujahideen with AKs on horseback have held them off more than a decade. You think those Chinese computer chips that control ALL THE SYSTEMS don't have backdoors built into them? You know, by the guys who built them, from the country that has the highest average IQ in the world? DUH.

Crash the dollar, and take out the computer controlled drones, GPS aimed everything, and what do you have left? Not much. The US has fired an average of 250 THOUSAND rounds for each "insurgent" killed in Iraq. Do the math.

Those 11 carrier battle groups? All "firepower": is now computer controlled and GPS aimed missiles. Quick EMP strike to take out the satellites and electronics, and a freaking fishing trawler with some torpedoes could take out the whole group. Think about it. Couple of Sopwith Camels with a few bombs could sink the whole group. Funny, huh? Not.

The US has a lot of manufacturing.

If the US weren't considered a serious threat on the other side of the planet then Russia would own Georgia and China would own Taiwan.

Our military isn't the largest. It is the most advanced. Can that be denied? We don't have first and second rate equipment. We have first rate only. You won't find a division equipped with cutting edge Abrams tanks and another division outfitted with some rusty Patton tank from the 1960s.

I seem to remember us winning WWII. Sure Russia helped speed it up by throwing their unvalued conscripts in front of German fire by the millions. The outcome was innevitable, though. Who beat the Japanese? Every war since then has been a limited conflict inwhich we chose not to wholly invest ourselves....and we chose to play by nice guy rules. In Vietnam you didn't see us turning North Vietnams' capitol into rubble did you? Do you really think we couldn't? Our soldiers won every battle they fought in Vietnam.

In Iraq we won the war in 14 days. Our mistake was staying and trying to nation build. In Iraq one it took us 72 hours on the ground to put American armor to within sight of Baghdad before Saddam gave up. In Afghanistan it took a hundred American soldiers, a B52 bomber, and some indigenous rebels on camels to topple the Taliban regime. Our mistake was staying and trying to turn that illiterate sh!&hole of the earth into a functioning society.

Who is the most powerful military if not the US? China? Nope, they can't even keep their Russian surplus mini carrier running. Russia? Nope, they have about 60 warships that actually run and every one of them is over 22 years old. Pakistan? Nope, we can fly in there anytime we want. Iran? Get real. If the time comes you'll see Iran whither under American firepower in a matter of a week or three. It'll be another one of those deals where they'll actually put a squadron of planes up the first day only to have a pair of F15s wipe them out. After that they won't try to fly again.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Puerto Rico beat 'Team USA'

It does not matter what is on paper.

An underdog can always win.

A good team with a great coach can always beat a great team with a good coach.

Take that Larry Brown. You jerk. Travelin man.

Do ya really want it? Do ya really want? Here we go ale ale ale !

edit on 14-6-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
These thread make me sad for ATS.

Whats with the Australians and there love for china recently? I guess chinese propaganda is some really effective stuff. And to think you guys are related to the british, shame.

I guess on topic: Sure on paper America has the "best" military but it would seem actually applying that might is alot more complicated in real life situations. And the wars you have listed proves that. If you look in WW2 it is a completely different game then today so you can't really use that as a example.
It was all trench warfare and a numbers game. Very sloppy (on all sides) and causes mass causality. If you've ever seen the memorials in europe it is actually tear provoking to see the endless lines of graves.

End of a day it really doesn't matter as long as the only wars we fight are 'proxy' wars on a foreign land and not say a direct war against china, because as soon as that actually happens im convinced a nuclear end to the world will happen eventually.

What is it about alcohol that makes you ramble?
edit on 14-6-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

I guess chinese propaganda is some really effective stuff.

What Chinese propaganda? I have never seen any. All I ever see is American propaganda. We are flooded with it.Our economy relies on China. what does that have to do with the strength of their military? What does it have to do with someone having a low opinion on the American military and its ability to succeed? The military is controlled by the United States Government, and they are morons for a start. There are other reasons to believe that the United States military is overrated. cant someone have that honest opinion without being 'anti-american'?

edit- I agree with the rest of what you said though.

edit- I might be wrong, but it doesnt mean Im anti-American. I honestly think the United States will lose WW3 against China. I think the United States should avoid it at all and any costs.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Easy. Wiki WWI through Afganistan.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I'm not from the US but here I'll have a go.

The US has 24 of the world's 35 aircraft carriers, essentially allowing them to be anywhere in the world at any one time, something which no other nation can do. It has the largest military budget, larger than the next 20 (I think) states combined. It has the world's largest reserves, thanks to the national guard and the largest airforice and navy. It is nonsensical that the US is the most powerful military power in the world. With that said, thanks to the Global Financial Crisis and the lack of economic prowess in the US, it's power will decline with it's economy. However, for the next decade or two (at least) the US will continue to be the most powerful state in terms of military power.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
It's not what any of us on ATS can tell you about the US Military to prove how great they are...

It's what everyone knows they have...but, they won't let anyone know we REALLY have..lol

Be prepared for government orbs to by flying over head in a few years.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

US is on top when it comes to intelligence and military hardware, but not so much when it comes to strategy. It has lost Iraq and loosing big time in Afghanistan due to its failed strategy.

We don't know much about Chinese military hardware, military strategists and intelligence, in that sense, you can't determine whether US is on top or not.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
The wars we have been in the last 20 years are all BS. If a real war broke out where the US actually was worried about being taken down, the entire might of the US military would be unleashed. And that is something any country doesnt want to be on the other side of.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

I don't think you really want U.S. to do that.
Furthermore, I pray we never have to.

For the childrens sake.

You are fair game however if you want to push it.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
They were halted in Korea, defeated in Vietnam, lost the Iraq war, and are losing the Afghanistan war.

All of those were failures of the civilian leadership, not the military instrument of war itself.

Vietnam: By the end of the Tet offensive in 1968, North Vietnam was beaten. It was the lefties in themedia that convinced the American public that we were losing.

Iraq: Lost the Iraq war you say? Funny, I seem to remember lots of pictures of purple thumbs.

Afghanistan: We've actually won Afghanaistan at least twice, then our civilian leadership snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

One thing most people do not undertand is that training for Infantry soldiers - even Basic Training - is very different from other US Army specialties. If you are a motor pool mechanic you did not attend the same basic training (boot camp) as your Infantry brothers. For example, M16 qualification scores are higher for Infantrymen than for other specialties.

I would match a US Army infantry squad against one from any other country.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Its simple really, the British Empire ruled for over 300 years, the Roman Empire ruled for over 1 thousand years, and how long has America ruled as a superpower? Only about 20 years..

Unless America lasts as long as the Roman Empire it cannot call itself the greatest empire in history, its only been 20 years and they are already falling apart LMFAO!!!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by dbarnhart

I would match a US Army infantry squad against one from any other country.

How about a squad of Infantry Marines? Sorry, couldn't resist. lol

I was there to witness the first Iraqi national elections. I was training the Iraqi military at the time and people were so happy that day. Everyone was out and about and peaceful and happy with the americans at least on that day anyways.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5pooky

Easy. Wiki WWI through Afganistan.

Do you know that more Australians died in WW1 than Americans?

I'm only saying this because Americans always say they saved us in WW1, when in reality more Aussies died than Americans, your part in WW1 was pathetically small.

If you look at the US death toll, it says over 114,000 Americans died, but Australia doesn't include those who died from diseases.
54,000 Americans died from combat while 60,000 Americans died from diseases.

Over 62,000 Aussies died in battle in WW1, more than America!!!!!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
why do people make threads just start s*it, i think this what people r talking about when they say ATS is going downhill

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The US doesn't have the best military in the world...

It has the worst...

The US is responsible for one half of the entire world's expenditures on military and arsenal. And we
do that a an astonishing per capita rate. With only 300 million Americans versus 6 billion on the planet.

Yes, we are definitely the worst....

And we have to audacity to call it DEFENSE SPENDING....

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join