It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Golden Dawn says it will throw all immigrants and their children out of hospitals onto the streets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   

A Far Right party has threatened to remove immigrants and their children from hospitals and nurseries in Greece if it gains power following Sunday's general election. Golden Dawn issued the warning at an election campaign rally in Athens, drawing loud applause from an audience. According to the Guardian, Golden Dawn MP Ilias Panagiotaros said: 'If Chrysi Avgi [Golden Dawn] gets into parliament, it will carry out raids on hospitals and kindergartens and it will throw immigrants and their children out on the street so that Greeks can take their place.'

www.dailymail.co.uk...

This weekend, voters in Greece will go to the ballots to attempt for a second time to vote in a new Government, the party that released this statement is called Golden Dawn, and is the far right party.

What we could be witnessing is a rise of fascism in Europe, especially in those nations facing serious financial problems, although there is more than a chance that this is simply posturing, it is something I feel we should all be worried about.

Are you concerned that parties such as this might have a foothold?
edit on 14-6-2012 by Citybig because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-6-2012 by Citybig because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
You would have thought that after Nazi and Italian fascist occupation the Greeks would not want to embrace these ideologies again. Ideologies based on fear and hate. Syriza are the only party offering a real alternative based on hope not hate.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I would ignore it. You know, there are two main motives for people to go to an election: Fear and Anger.

Fear leads to votes for conservative parties.
Anger leads to votes for progressive parties.

Most people in Greece on the other hand have learned about fascism, so that direction is generally considered "too strong right" to be voted. Only the most stupid people or the most despaired will vote for them to gain even a very, very small advantage above others (immigrants, in this case).

Much more likely is the victory of a left wing rhetoric, Tsipras.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

They don't want to, but hard times causes people to make hard decisions.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by CrimsonKapital

Using scapegoats is a tried and tested Fascist tactic. Blame the immigrants for Greek's failure. I mean there are lots of Greeks in Australia. If the Australian economy collapsed, would you want to kick out all Greek immigrants?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

Using scapegoats is a tried and tested Fascist tactic. Blame the immigrants for Greek's failure. I mean there are lots of Greeks in Australia. If the Australian economy collapsed, would you want to kick out all Greek immigrants?

I see what you mean, but there are no jobs in Greece so when the Greeks see third world immigrants come there looking for work and competing with them, they blame them...

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

I doubt many from the 3rd world will be making the trip to Greece to find new work. Many may even go back to their own countries where job prospects are more available than in Greece. I'm also sure many Greeks will be wanting to emigrate to other countries to find work. Things will become more difficult, but turning to fascism is not the answer.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonKapital

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

I see what you mean, but there are no jobs in Greece so when the Greeks see third world immigrants come there looking for work and competing with them, they blame them...

I didn't see it addressed in the article but they are likely using the same tactic they use in the US when discussing these immigrants. Are they in Greece legally or not? I don't think the issue is legal immigrants in Greece any more than the US. I assume they are using the word "immigrant" to cover every foreigner there without legal immigration status from sneaking into Greece to overstaying a visa.

If an immigrant has gone through the legal processes they would be a Greek citizen and this would be a non issue for them. I understand the frustration with the illegal ones though. When I get a paycheck and have to pay taxes and pay insurance for my family there isn't a lot left, the illegals here are able to eliminate those two big expenses and that is extra money to drive newer cars or send back home. I personally know one guy that is building a huge home in Mexico (I saw the blueprints and photos) paying cash. We worked for the same people, I got a check with all the taxes taken out, he got cash.

I say go after the employer first, hit them hard to compensate for the lost tax revenue. Once that is done you can go after the illegals that shouldn't be there. There are legal processes that are not impossible to complete to become a citizen if it is not worth doing legally maybe it is not worth doing at all.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
These guys are a tiny minority party. I dont think they warrant much need for concern.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Citybig

I think anyone who doesn't have an eye on this, or who thinks ignoring them is a good solution, is playing the same game Germans and the rest of the world played in the build up to WW2. We have literally the exact same economic situation in many respects going on in Greece, and the exact same anti-immigrant sentiment being stirred up that was used back then. Yes, it's a blame game, but it's an effective one when people are facing starvation. This is precisely how Hitler got started, and anyone who thinks another Hitler or SS isn't possible or even probable is lying to themselves. Will they gain power? Maybe, maybe not----I'm not saying it's time to freak out and go take military action or whatnot. But don't fool yourself into thinking they're nothing to worry about; they might be. They are one of two really sh*tty options for Greece this coming election, and the Greeks may be fed up enough with the Euro to turn towards this kind of nationalistic sentiment again.

Don't forget---there's almost no one left in Greece and around the world who actually remembers what Nazi Germany was like. There's all sorts of misconceptions and misinformation floating around the interwebs where old WW2 vets and civilians are not likely surfing to dispel the lies and aggrandizing. It's all young people who view the past through a filter.

top topics

join