It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VEGAN for 3.5 Months. Massive hair loss.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by Furbs

I have nothing against vegans or vegetarians either. If everyone was a vegetarian though, we would have a lot more burnt out land. One things about grazing cows, they fertilize the fields also.

If everyone was a vegetarian we would have killed off all species of animals that would eat our crops, we'd have destroyed the ecosystem long ago. We would have been more ignorant of chemical use to get nicer veggies also.

People like me would not exist or would have gone crazy with our porphyria killing all the vegetarians. Porphyria has been around for thousands of years, possibly the reason Cain killed Abel.

Like I said, I don't care what you do. I don't care if everyone but me is a meat eater. People can make up reasons why Veganism or vegatarianism isn't good, and I simply do not care, because the rhetoric isn't a problem.

I don't actually want to get into the agricultural aspects of meat vs veganism, because I am not interested in providing evidence for claims that people aren't going to believe anyway.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by Furbs

I have nothing against vegans or vegetarians either. If everyone was a vegetarian though, we would have a lot more burnt out land. One things about grazing cows, they fertilize the fields also.

If everyone was a vegetarian we would have killed off all species of animals that would eat our crops, we'd have destroyed the ecosystem long ago. We would have been more ignorant of chemical use to get nicer veggies also.

People like me would not exist or would have gone crazy with our porphyria killing all the vegetarians. Porphyria has been around for thousands of years, possibly the reason Cain killed Abel.

Agreed, if they wish to be vegan, that's fine, but many of us don't want to be. ...I had to get my humor calmed down a bit....called for a resistance for tomatoes and couldn't stop laughing...viva' la mater!! .... it was wayyyy off topic

Each person is entitled to their choice of nourishment but it boils down to, we consume life whether it be animal or plant, it's still life. We can't put one form of life above another form just because we happen to be in one of the groups. With that said, we also must consume life in order to survive ourselves, as do all animals. The plants depend on our expulsion of CO2, so they depend on other life as well. If we put ourselves in the position of choosing a particular diet due only to how it affects other life, then we're fooling ourselves and putting a higher value on certain types over others...a never ending spiral.
I'm comfortable eating both plant and animal and don't kill for "fun" but for substance. When it's for a reason, a viable, non-hate filled reason, I am ok with killing things lower on the "food chain" in order to survive.

....now when we get down to snakes and bugs and weeds, I'm ok with killing them when I come across them in an area I have set aside for other purposes and that may not be a "good thing", but it's one of my many "sins".
edit on 16-6-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

This is more justification by meat eaters that killing is killing is killing. I am okay with killing animals. I wear leather. I use horse hoof glue. I just don't ingest animal proteins. If you are placing more emphasis on one life form over another, that is your business, but it doesn't have anything to do with Veganism, as it is a diet, not a philosophy.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Furbs

Pica is a disorder. It isn't a good example to debunk the scientific FACT that a craving is the body's way of trying to satisfy nutritional needs.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrphenFire
reply to post by Furbs

Pica is a disorder. It isn't a good example to debunk the scientific FACT that a craving is the body's way of trying to satisfy nutritional needs.

Care to post some studies proving this scientific FACT? I am having a hard time finding this to be the case.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Furbs

This is more justification by meat eaters that killing is killing is killing. I am okay with killing animals. I wear leather. I use horse hoof glue. I just don't ingest animal proteins. If you are placing more emphasis on one life form over another, that is your business, but it doesn't have anything to do with Veganism, as it is a diet, not a philosophy.

But more often than not, it's a diet based on a philosophy

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

That doesn't make the diet a philosophy.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
It's a big thread and I don't know if it's been posted already but if you went clean then your hormones normalized/reset. That's likely the cause of it.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

No, but in most cases, the result of a philosophy

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Is your diet the result of a philosophy?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Furbs

Sorry, wish I did. But I don't.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker11

It was a moral issue for me too, but I don't know what's worse? Having poor health to save the animals or for them to die for my nourishment. For selfish reasons I eat meat occasionally but always try to have it organic and free range. I still feel guilty, especially because I have a couple of beautiful Vegan friends who have been successful with it. I feel like I'm failing, and not being a good person.

Hi Seeker,

So you understand

Thanks for your post, I can't tell you what to do- you must do what you feel is right. Then again, constantly being guilt ridden isn't exactly goo for a person either. And yes, to see other vegans flourishing on a Vegan diet can be a bit daunting when you are trying your best but still "failing". Try not to see it that way, we are all so different in our make up. Different races etc, so what works for one wont always work for the other. Don't beat yourself up.

Nice Avatar too.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by biggmoneyme

wow ive never heard of anyones nails and hair going to # because of becoming vegan, interesting. if anything i've become more vibrant, my skins looks better, my hair started falling out a long time ago but thats just mpb but my nails are fine. i didn't become vegan because of morals issues though. meat just gradually become less appealing to me. then diary made me weak and heavy.

Hi,

Yeah, I felt great for the first couple of months too... Maybe my body is just detoxing at this point. I don't know.
But thanks for your post and it's great that you are sucsessful in your Veganism. Good on you

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Your hair falling out could be completely unrelated to your diet. There have been several "incidents" lately where nuclear power stations had to do Emergency Shut downs of their nuclear reactors and vented radiation into the atmosphere during their Emergency shut downs. My wife's cousin (20 yrs old) moved to Seattle and all her hair fell out. Either from Fukushima or releases from the nuclear reactors there. Buy a geiger counter, you may have to move location.

Very Interesting.

I live in South Africa so I wouln't be too sure about that, lol.
If that was the case, would it not be happening to everyone around me?

reply to post by ScatterBrain

I won't quote your post but thanks for that!
All is good in that deparment.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ATScory

Please reply to this, we're the vegetables you got from California?

If that was meant for me, I doubt it. I live in South Africa.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Tripple_Helix

I'm sure it's all been said by now after so many pages - but...I understand your dilemma and your reasoning. It's not easy

I agree with several posts I saw - cage free eggs - research where they come from if it helps you to feel better about it. They cost extra - but, it would be a good idea

double up on the quinoa - it's very good for you

get enough oils if you aren't - olive, sesame, coconut and then primrose/borage/flax - fat is your friend. I can't emphasize that enough :-) forget about the calories - drizzle oils on everything you eat

ground flaxseed

nuts - all of them (though less of the almonds as they can interfere with thyroid function) - and of course peanuts

sweet potatoes

two to four teaspoons of blackstrap molasses every single day - be religious about it

supplements cost - molasses is cheap and is loaded with things that you need:

However, unlike refined sugars, it contains significant amounts of vitamin B6 and minerals, including calcium, magnesium, potassium, and iron; one tablespoon provides up to 20% of the recommended daily value of each of those nutrients.
en.wikipedia.org...
even if you hate it - take it twice daily like medicine. It will take a few months to see the difference - so be patient

bona fortuna

:-)

edit on 6/17/2012 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by chiroy

OP, when you start a thread like this, you really have to give more information. I read one of your past threads www.abovetopsecret.com... In it you explained that you suffer from a rare disease called Beinign Multicystic Mesothelioma. As treatment, they recommend chemotherapy and we all know the side effects of chemo, right? Even if you haven't had treatment yet for this disease, it is vital piece information.

Since it effects the reproductive system, it's most probably the direct cause of your hair loss (since it will severely affect the body's hormonal system - hair growth/loss is more often than not hormonal related) I'm a little bit ticked off that you seem to blame your hair loss on your vegan diet - since that was the only piece of info you included in your explanation as to why you would be suffering from hair loss. I'm a vegan myself (also South African) and have been so for 10 years. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

You will do your body a huge disfavour if you cease to be vegan. I won't go into much detail, but I used to suffer from numerous childhood diseases, which continued until early adulthood. After 5 years of being vegan after that, I outgrew all of them. Haven't been to the doctor now in 4 years - not even for a common cold.

Hi there,
I didn't mention it mainly because I believe it has nothing to do with what I am experiencing at the moment.
Before they found it, I only had issues with my stomach for a couple of years. Abdominal pain, bloating, gas etc.
The reason I say that is because I have obviously had it for years and never knew about it. All the while being pretty healthy, only catching the occasional flu. I don't see why I would experience a sudden onset of hair loss and retarded nail growth because of my "disease". And this 3+ months after changing my diet.
Of course I would look at my diet first.

In no way am I saying that I will go back to eating meat. Because I wont. But yes, I might just include some goats cheese or yoghurt twice a week, plus, I have already eaten two eggs on Friday which came from a farm that raises completely free range chickens (not for slaughter).

EDIT.
I am not receiving any treatment for my Benign Multicystic Mesothelioma, because there is no treatment. Not even chemo can fix this. The whole reason I went Vegan in the first place was to cut out all the growth hormones in the dairy and meat that could possibly speed up the growth of the cysts. Then, while researching Vegansim, it became a moral issue for me.
edit on 18-6-2012 by Tripple_Helix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

yup, my philosophy is "I eat what tastes good", therefore, that's what my diet is

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I just raise my own chickens, my own cows, my own pigs, my own garden... I know exactly where most of the food I eat comes from and have no problems with it at all. Lots of Amish around here too, so I get stuff from them sometimes. Not much has to come from the store. That's one of the benefits of living rural. The only downfall is having to commute for work or to "go out", but now that I'm getting older, I don't like to "go out" anyway, so it's all good.
I've lived in the big city, I've lived in the small town, but I ended up right back where I started, out on the family farm, because there's no place like home.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

yup, my philosophy is "I eat what tastes good", therefore, that's what my diet is

So, you have a Hedonistic philosophy when it comes to food?

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

So, you have a Hedonistic philosophy when it comes to food?

nah, more of a mouth and tummy-o-nistic philosophy
(yeah, I know what hedonistic is, but I'm also a smarty-pants) LOL

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join