It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does a member of the Free Syrian Army get an M-16?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Reading a bit about the accusations from Washington leveled at Russia for arming the Assad regime. Which made me ask some questions concerning the "Free Syrian Army" and how they are getting their arms and training.

The US now says that the FSA is getting arms shipped to them from Saudi Arabia and Qatar.

Analysts and diplomats say that the Free Syrian Army (FSA) has become better organised and armed in recent months, as weapons shipments begin to seep in from nations such as Saudi Arabia and Qatar. The US State Department has stressed that it is not providing any lethal equipment to rebels, but has reportedly been helping to co-ordinate shipments from the Gulf.

www.independent.co.uk...

But here's the thing. Since when do Saudi Arabia and Qatar produce M-16's and rocket launchers?

Like in this photo:

lens.blogs.nytimes.com...

So i started poking around, and found this:

Just have a look at the official Arms Sales Notifications report from the Defense Security Cooperation Agency. A quick scan will show numerous sales to both Saudi Arabia and Qatar.

www.dsca.mil...

tonypilgrim.blogspot.ca...

So does the US get to just ignore UN rules by using a proxy nation like Qatar to supply weapons to the 'rebels'?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
he calls Eric Holder.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Private Contracting Companies.

Think about it... They have no allegiance to any flag. They are above the law in the regard. And they're operating in those areas anyway. I think that would be a more likely scenario, it shifts the blame away from government too.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Smuggle through any border of choice...just depends on which one is gonna rat em out

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
From a John McSame humanitarian organization. Or from the Obama CIA. Or just go over these middle men and get it strait from Mossad.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Whats pictured is a M16A1. There is a crap load of them on the market since armies around the world upgrade the inventories. Just like the AK-47, the M16 is made in mass quantities under various contracts.

GM even produced them for a time.

It is hard to find a Colt M16 or M4 varient in todays US Army. Most are made by FNUSA.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
That is an older model M-16, the US government has been arming allies in the region for decades it could have come from a number of sources. There is know way to prove that it came directly from the United States Government.

Hell you will find the AK-47 in just about every corner of the world, it was the most produced and distributed weapon in world history. The Soviet Union used to dole them out to anyone who bought arms from them basically for free. Odds are if you were to look at all the weapons the rebels in Syria use the majority of them would be Soviet designed weapons.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
The US has dropped M-16s all over the world as part of military aid packages. I'd have to check numbers, but other then the AK-47 (THE undisputed title holder) it's probably the most prolific assault rifle/battle rifle ever distributed. Especially the A1 model as shown in the picture. The only thing I think that comes close to those two is the FN FAL.

Anyways, they are all over the place, and then resold/re-donated. I know FN in Belgium had license to make them, I think Jordan might have had a license to build them as well. S. Korea used them for awhile till they made their own rifle. Several were pumped into Beruit in the early 80's and several more left there when the marines departed. Doesn't mean they came from the US....

Doesn't mean they didn't either......
edit on 13-6-2012 by SrWingCommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBRiddle
That is an older model M-16, the US government has been arming allies in the region for decades it could have come from a number of sources. There is know way to prove that it came directly from the United States Government.

Hell you will find the AK-47 in just about every corner of the world, it was the most produced and distributed weapon in world history. The Soviet Union used to dole them out to anyone who bought arms from them basically for free. Odds are if you were to look at all the weapons the rebels in Syria use the majority of them would be Soviet designed weapons.

Good points, for sure. Many of the images at the NYTimes link I provide shows Kalashnikovs as well.And of course there are numerous M-16s floating around the mid east from many previous arms deals over the years with varying countries.

But, really, the main point is that the US now admits they are basically using Saudi Arabia and Qatar as proxies to deliver arms to the rebels in Syria. They sell arms to these countries, these countries then deliver the arms to Syria. Doesnt that violate UN regulations?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

The same way I did. I went to the store and bought one for 500

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Who knows but they look American made either way. Saudi Arabia are the last country who should be arming and pointing fingers at anyone. They can't even give their women decent rights.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Look, Iranians have UZI submachine gun...

www.uskowioniran.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by gravitational
Look, Iranians have UZI submachine gun...

www.uskowioniran.com...

That was hilarious, some interesting pics on there. America/nato are definitely gonna have a fight on their/our hands if they/we go toe to toe with Iran!!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
oooh ooooh I know I know he saved up his coupons!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Interesting thinking and possibly something in it.

I guess though it is also possible to have come via, for example, Turkey. Lots of the Free Syrian Army appear to be based just over the border in Turkey, which happens to be a key NATO member (for various reasons). As such, Turkey has ALL kinds of US / NATO clobber denied to most kicking about.........

And if that is the case, it may be that it would even be Turkish led, rather than say NATO led arming of the "rebels". After all, they will not want wholescale slaughter and war right on their border, especially as they already have Iraq on one border.

However, that is all pure speculation. Based on your observations! Thank you. Gotta say, i love the way ATS assists the grey matter sometimes, even if it leads you on a tangent sometimes.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
From the CIA.

That's where all of the weapons and arms are coming from. The CIA and their proxy groups are currently having a proxy war to destabilize the region..

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
From the CIA.

That's where all of the weapons and arms are coming from. The CIA and their proxy groups are currently having a proxy war to destabilize the region..

~Tenth

So does that mean all the weapons in the US are supplied by the CIA, too? And if and when armed conflict comes to the US, it will be by the CIA, too?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Did you know that China (and probably other countries as well) are manufacturing unlicensed M16 ?
en.wikipedia.org...
Did you know that the M16A1 has been around since the 60's, and there are roughly 8 millions of them worldwide ?
Did you know that the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps are using M16 ?

Yeah, let's jump to conclusions....

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Brand new Magpul P Mag!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by gravitational
Did you know that China (and probably other countries as well) are manufacturing unlicensed M16 ?
en.wikipedia.org...
Did you know that the M16A1 has been around since the 60's, and there are roughly 8 millions of them worldwide ?
Did you know that the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps are using M16 ?

No, i did not know that. Although others have pointed it out. Thanks.

Yeah, let's jump to conclusions....

I'm not sure if it's jumping to conclusions to ask questions. By definition, i didnt jump to any conclusions.

But it IS interesting that the US doesnt even hide the fact they are co-coordinating shipments of weapons to the rebels in Syria via proxy states like Qatar and SA.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join